New Wave Small Rice / WE MP7 Review?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Wave Small Rice / WE MP7 Review?

Just purchased one of these the other day.. Was aware of the issues with the WE SMG8 (gas efficiency/ looks and breaking components) but the New Wave Small Rice is supposed to fix most of these.

Well I'm pleased to say that the version I purchased does fix these issues.. mine doesn't even have the mushy trigger that the inital New Wave Rice MP7s and SMG8s.. its not slightly better its loads better. Its also a WE Europe import so its power has been reduced to around 320fps on 0.2g bbs.. but its an easy mod to get it up to site limits. As its a WE Europe import it doesnt come with the plastic glue on trade marks which is a bit of a shame.

Also comes with a replacement steel stock retainer mechanism but you need to fit it yourself as the original pot metal one is prone to breaking.. as mine did within a few days.

I can do a more indepth review if theres a good level of interest. But for now first impressions are well built, fixes loads of the issues with the SMG8, body kit is well built and recoil is fierce, cooldown/gas efficiency needs to be assesed properly but using propene (not propane) I easily get a full mag empty with 5-6 round bursts every few seconds. It also comes as standard with the SmG8 Gen2 mag gas routers which help with gas efficiency apparently.

Ta

Chaz

Re: New Wave Small Rice / WE MP7 Review?

Pretty much echoing my experience with the model too, though the trigger was a little on the mushy side with mine to start off with. The spare stock latch was a Gods-send and much appreciated as the stock one broke within a matter of days, the fact that they had the consideration to make it out of steel too was a massive bonus.

Have to say, external build is bang on, doesn't feel cheap at all much like their G36C. The main issue I came across was the hop up, the arm would not adjust at all and required me to disassemble the damn thing and file the 'nub' part of the adjuster arm so it caught it just right.

Performance is bang on, decent gas efficiency and cold weather performance and makes a lovely noise too.
    - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Good to know we have similar opinions. I hadnt got to using mine at range till yesterday and i notice the same issue with the hop not being able to be adjusted.

Dissassembled the gun and noticed that the hop rod that actuates the plastic piece that applies hop wouldnt move at all either. My fix was slightly different, I noticed the barrel hop window was a bit short and noticed that plastic piece that applies the hop( the bit you fettled) was actually catching on the barrel. I just carefully dremmeled the barrel hop window to be a bit longer. All ok now fires like a dream love it.

Obviously not ideal as Hop is cruical for range. So not good for a novice airsofter but anyone with airsoft mechanics knowlwedge should be able to resolve this. Curious did the smg8s have this issue?

Comment

I've been looking at one of these badboys, but was also thinking about shelling out the extra for the TM. How would you compare them?

An in-depth review would be much appreciated Chaz!
        TM SCAR-H Recoil // TM MK18 Recoil // VFC HK417 // KWA Kriss Vector // ASG AW.338 //
        TM Glock 18c // TM Five-SeveN // VFC FNX.45 Tactical // KWA USP.45 Tactical //

Comment

I'll see if i can get round to an indepth review.. but in the mean time heres a Mag dump video link i did earlier. Like I say I altered it from 320fps on 0.2s to aim for 350fps but its shooting around 370fps at moment so using a bit more gas than i would like to propel the bb.

Still get a full mag dump plus another 11 rounds.. after that. Heres a video with statistics on ROF cooldown etc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Euc...ature=youtu.be

Comment

So not quite an in-depth review but here some more info after using it for a while and dissassembly to check it out.

1) The trigger grouping whilst not steel is something harder than the normal WE monkey metal.. its all silver and harder finish similar to that in some other WE pistols like the PX4 where its used for the magazing valve knocker

A word of warning though.. using propene (not propane) in 18-20degC gets great power and recoil but it wears the valve knocker where it is held in place (after being hit by the hamme) by a sliver metal piece. The silver metal piece doesnt wear but the valve knocker does (it seem more like WE Monkey metal). So I had to drill the valve knocker piece and insert a steel pin. Not the guns fault as im using a gas at higher pressure that it was designed to use.

2) The hop is resonable out of the box, the contact patch is curverd as is the hop arm so has a larger contact patch that a typical normal buldge style hop. I have replaced with a maple leaf monster hop because I can!!

3) I found that the hop wouldnt stay fixed due to the vibration from firing so i driller out the hole where the hop key is inserted so that i could remove the (steel) grub screw and coat it with some thread lock. I also dropped in a small steel pin so that when the grub screw is re-inserted it sticks out proud of the hole so its easier to judge how much you have wound the screw in or out.
            4) IF you buy the imprted WE UK one it doesnt come with glue in trades and the power is around 320fps on 0.2s. You need to dissassemble the nozzle see guides on youtube and dremmel off a mm or so of the plastic that the gas valve is sprung against to allow the gas valve to be further back in the nozzle. If you got too far like i did i had 370 fps with 0.3gbbs!. To solve this the RA Tech WE M4 Open Bolt NPAS fits perfectly in the loading nozzle.

5) Replacing the sliding stock retainer with the steel one provide has been great.. The steel one is holding up fine whereas the pot metal one broke in a couple of days!
            Last edited by chaz_r33_gtr; 19 February, 2015, 22:06.

Comment

I hate to bump but how are these doing? Are they worth a purchase?

Comment

I've been really pleased with mine good accuracy and easily get a complete mag off one fill of gas. Part 50 broke on mine recently after few 1000 rounds through it but I was using map gas in summer 😱. If you stick with propane / green gas am sure everything will be fine. They now come with the steel stock latch already fitted so no messing about.

Comment

Originally posted by chaz_r33_gtr View Post
                  I've been really pleased with mine good accuracy and easily get a complete mag off one fill of gas. Part 50 broke on mine recently after few 1000 rounds through it but I was using map gas in summer 😱. If you stick with propane / green gas am sure everything will be fine. They now come with the steel stock latch already fitted so no messing about.
                  Mags are cheap too compared to others and I've not had one leak yet. Just wake sure you get a recent mag. Very first batch of smg8 mags didn't fit properly and the newer ones come with gen 2 gas routers forwayyy better gas efficiency

Comment

Careful of the nozzle springs, I've already gone through one through filling the mags to their capacity. Make sure that the feeder has room to spring down so that the loading ram can ride over it without getting caught. Failure to do this will inevitably snap the spring and this is the first GBB weapon I have had that seems incapable of running without it.
                    - GHK AK74MN - GHK AUG A1 - Secutor Gladius 17 - WE MG36 HPA -

Comment

Hey guys, how many shots are you guys getting per gas fill? I've just picked up a gen 2 gun and only get 30 rounds before it begins to get weaker blowback and eventually dying after 35 bbs. Fresh tin of propane too.

Other than that the MP7 is pretty much great. I've installed a Maple Leaf hop bucking and scoring excellent groupings with .30's out to around 20 metres. It's very close my old magical TM MP7.
                      http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Comment

I did a mag dump full auto with propene..search for video on you tube under chaz j2976. I was getting 44 rounds plus. I find with we mags that their silent fill valves don't get the mags as full as you do with tm non silent fill valves. As a test put the mag in the freezer for 10 mins then fill it. You will get much more gas in. Let it get to room temp and then fire. You should get a lot more rounds

Comment

That should be chaz j1976

Comment

I think I was half filling the magazine with gas. Too used to GHK G5/M4 magazines only needing a 4 or 5 second blast. 10 second fill gets me a whole snappy 40 rounds of rock and roll with a further 10 or so before it dies.

Fine by me. Thanks!
                            http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Comment

Anyone having a problem with burst fire as when I fire mine on full and burst fire, it stops firing but as soon as I put it on single it fires again

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

chaz_r33_gtr Find out more about chaz_r33_gtr
                              Working...
                              X