British army helmets and using an alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: British army helmets and using an alternative

plus it works with either set up, dpm, ddpm and even MTP, as they still use it now as the MK7 was never cleared for jump use.

Comment

You know you can drop your bergan by lifting up the black tab quick release buckles yeah?

we trained to be able to bin them really quick, its why you keep what you need to survive on in your webbing and your lesser essentials in a small day sack in your bergan at the top so you can at least grab that if time permits.

Did a few exercises while bumped with bergans on or while in harbour but you sort of expect that in training so prepare for it by never unpacking more than you have to and being able to bin kit quickly... like did you ever do a 'dead letter drop' when you were not ambushed

Anyway back on track for airsoft, given you're not going to be humping a bergan about i'd just wear a scrimmed mk6, its going to look the same if given tons of scrim. The amount of grass we used to pack into our helmet looks i could have been wearing *anything* underneath it!

Comment

Scrim and bush is probably the best way yeah LoL. Of course, you could just not worry about the helmet and wear a boonie?

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts guys.
          Getting bumped in the dead of night when your shattered (12 hour day at work then straight off on ex) the last thing i worried about was clips, buckels and straps lol. Down in the dirt, few reply rounds then wriggle free of the bergen and get fighting.

But as mentioned, i have ordered a Mich2002 and a mtp cover+scrim set. So from that point of view its all sorted.

Comment

Just as a completely helmet unrelated comment, I would really advise getting some buckles put into the webbing straps that go over your shoulders. When you come under contact it is just a case of unclipping and she falls straight off, leaving you to get on with things. Saves all this wriggling about trying to get your bergan off.

Can't remember what mm buckle you need, 18mm possibly?

Comment

Fortunately Liam i am well past those days lol.
              Give you an idea of how well past...we were still wearing dpm, using plce webbing and biggest giveaway using L85a1's lol

Comment

I can relate to DPM and PLCE but not A1's! Fortunate enough to have served with PCS/Osprey and A2's myself!

Comment

Dammit you guys make me feel old, I started with '58 pattern and L1A1, moved to L85A1 and even got my hands on an A2 before I left those days well behind. As for t he dead letter box, I dont thing I ever did a ration pick up, spares pick up, dead letter box or any other small tasking without getting bumbed in some way or another Happy days

Comment

Mate i totally understand about being tired, i think we were awake for about three days straight on one exercise. thats why you train your muscle memory to do stuff like contact drills without having to think about them so you can soldier well when tired.

Because they can no longer knock the hell out of you the only way they can simulate 'battle stress' is by keeping you tired.

I was in the TA for a while as well so i'm totally aware of what its like to go on a weekend course after a week at work.

Comment

So my Mich2002 finally turned up today.
                      I decided to leave the rails on for nowto try and bulk the sides out more in line with the mk7 plan.
                      I had already received my outsize mtp helemt cover with supplied bag of scrim strips.

So i set to it and tried to fit the cover as best as i could.
                      It is a pain to fit as the overall shape and profile of the mich is different to the mk7, hence i went the safer route and ordered the outsize cover.
                      After a bit of struggling, i fitted the cats eye band to help hold the cover in position and attached thE sup[plied scrim.
                      Straight off the bat it is clear you will need to bulk out the scrim pack with more material as there is barely enough to really cover the basic shape of the helmet up.

Front

Side

Rear

Comment

Mk 6s are incredibly uncomfortable, but you can get them cheap and you can use them as actual head protection if you ever need them. I got one for £15 off ebay. It weighs a fair bit if you aren't in condition and stays on your head only via a chinstrap and a piece of string in a circle on your crown. Mk7s and 6As are probably much better. Cant see any ethical problems with any of them. I would rather I had kit than someone else to be honest, but maybe I am in a minority.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ghostwalker 43 year old airsoft newbie, former tournament paintballer and marshal. Ex TA RGJ, WW2 hstory buff. Find out more about ghostwalker
                        Working...
                        X