British army helmets and using an alternative

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• British army helmets and using an alternative

Having worn the mk6 and hating pretty much every moment of it when i was in the TA (prone + pack on = face in mud), i was looking around for a decent lid to keep what little brains i have left, unscrambled.

I would like most love a mk7 but price and also the ethics of owning a legitimate one make aquiring one unlikely. Personally i would like the real deals to be on the heads of our lads and lasses abroad. I know some folks would not agree with me, but lets not get into that

So i was reading the threads on here and various militaria forums to try and find an alternative.

It seems to boil down to the ac900 which is almost as rare and expensive to find as a mk7.
    or
    A Mich replica helmet.

I have seen pics of the Mich helmets (with and without rails) but it's hard to tell how well they will 'stand in' for a mk7 under your average milsim scrutiny.
    In my mind once you throw on a mtp cover with scrim it shouldn't be obvious unless your really really looking. But do any of you folks have experience in seeing both and how comparable they are?

Any thoughts/feedback much appreciated.

Edit* are the Mich 2002 helmets a one size fits all jobby? as im looking on amazon and there are no sizes?

Re: British army helmets and using an alternative

Hiya mate. The Emerson/TMC helemts are all circa 59-60CM size but I wear an issued large MK6 or 7 but can get my head in both the MICH and a Fast helmet with some adjustments - you can move or replace the foam padding.

Because these helmets are pretty cheap like you can import a MICH without rails for about £30 for a decent one (Emerson) I'd go down that route and either put an MTP cover over it (you'd get away with it) or even get the dremel and some filler out and modify it yourself.

That's what I'd suggest mate.

Comment

Cheers Rich, i figure once it has an mtp lcover and the hessian scrim it shouldn't be too different.

Yeah my head measures around 59.5cm so to know the mich will fit is reassuring. Had a nightmare with my mk6 when i was issues. always either too big or too small.

Comment

No worries mate. MK7 is the most comfy helmet I have ever worn in all honesty, but I see your concern RE the moral aspects of owning one.

Personally, I have no morals so it doesn't concern me, but I respect yours... The MICH however will be a good compromise and arguably as wrong as a MK6 if you are doing a current loadout so who cares

Comment

Originally posted by ghostwalker View Post
          Cheers Rich, i figure once it has an mtp lcover and the hessian scrim it shouldn't be too different.

Yeah my head measures around 59.5cm so to know the mich will fit is reassuring. Had a nightmare with my mk6 when i was issues. always either too big or too small.
          I used to wear a size too large on purpose back in the day as you could pad it to be comfier, it fitted better with a ressie and on a superficial level it looked loads cooler

Prone with rocket packs from the bergan could make your lid go over your eyes (if you're going prone with the bergan on then someones mucked up somewhere we used to ditch ours before doing anything 'tactical' but i found jamming the susat under the helmet brim stopped it slipping forwards. with a decent day pack and binning rocket packs this ceases to be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
            Prone with rocket packs from the bergan could make your lid go over your eyes (if you're going prone with the bergan on then someones mucked up somewhere we used to ditch ours before doing anything 'tactical' but i found jamming the susat under the helmet brim stopped it slipping forwards. with a decent day pack and binning rocket packs this ceases to be a problem.
            That's one of the things they tried to fix with the MK7 was it hanging over your eyes which is why it protects less of the back of the neck but is better when prone... This being airsoft however and not needing ballistic protection, there is nothing to stop you pulling back the rubber at the bottom of the helmet rim and dremmelling a few CM off the back and front to make it more MK7 ish, if you wanted too.

There is also a thread here somewhere that shows a guy who used a dremmel and body filler to give the MK6 a MK7 shape, or at least it looks the nuts under a cover.

Comment

yeah i belive that was in the 'contemporary british loadout' thread.
              I'm settling on the Mich 2002 airsoft helmet with the mtp cover and scrim. If i get a decent look at a mk7 i will see about attacking it with some putty etc.

As to the 'if your bergen is pushing down somethings wrong'. Yeah bugging out after a 2am bump on training then getting ambushed half hour later whilst tabbing away. Bergen on, gunfire erupts, on the deck in a split second...then you try and look up lol. Lots of wriggling to get free of the bergen and you can fight and see. Sure it was something out training team enjoyed because they only ever set ambushes if we were tabbing with full kit and bergens on.

Comment

The US Army FILBE and I think ALICE packs have quick release shoulder straps allowing you to pull a tab and de-bag pretty instantly... So long as you don't have the belt done up lol.

Comment

Yeah i was referring to the old bergen issued alongside the plce webbing Rich.

Comment

Ghostwalker, have you considered a mk6a if you want to stick to a fairly accurate British Army infantry loadout. The MK6a was the upgrade of the MK6 and was replaced by the MK7. As they have been replaced they are quite common on the surplus market, they are cheaper than the MK7 and they don't have any ethical issues attached to them. I have one and I can say their a huge improvement on the MK6. they have a mesh type head harness rather than just a drawstring so it rests on your head better and I believe they are compatible with the mk7 helmet pads to give it more comfort and a better fit.
                    -seb298

Comment

seb.
                      yeah i looked at the mk6a and gave it some serious though but in the end have ordered the mich2002 version, a mtp mk6/7 cover and the mtp scrim pack to dress it up. I'm hopingit will pass simple scrutiny.
                      It has the added advantage of being able to utilise the rail stystem on it if i ever decide to mount a head cam and show how badly i play lol. Initially though i intende to remove the rail system until such time as it is needed.

Comment

just had a look at a few pics of the Mich 2002 and it looks a great versatile helmet and in my opinion with the cover and scrim it will pass for a MK7. I have the Mich 2000 helmet so if that's anything to go by you wont be disappointed with the 2002 trust me.

Comment

yeah i looked at a few reviews etc on them before commiting to buying. Now i just need - gloves, blackhawk kneepads, mtp trousers/windproof smock, MTP ubacs and an ICS L85a2 with all the mods. Maybe by xmas it will all be done.
                          But selling a lot of hobby stuff has thus far meant i have a £300 headstart = Mk4a Osprey with pouches, Haix High Liability boots, ESS advancer goggles, shemagh, Mesh half mask, Mich 2002 helmet, mtp cover and scrim cloth.

Comment

Why don't you go down the Para route and get yourself a Para lid?, they are more comfy and don't move so much as the mk6's.

Comment

Para lid is a good call. Light weight and foam padding... Would actually be a useful bumo helmet!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ghostwalker 43 year old airsoft newbie, former tournament paintballer and marshal. Ex TA RGJ, WW2 hstory buff. Find out more about ghostwalker
                              Working...
                              X