ZB26 to Mk1 Bren Gun conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: ZB26 to Mk1 Bren Gun conversion

these parts are what i was designing last week and will be the D shaped section under the barrel, there's still a bit of milling to do yet.

oh a bit of welding as well .

Comment

Very nice work indeed dadio!

Comment

Thank's ,
        This should show what the parts are a bit more clearly as I've had a chance to mill them .

Comment

This weekend i finished the connection between the D section of the barrel and the lower gas system , next is to finish the rear end of the barrels where they lock into the breech then i can attach the D sections to the barrels and the front end will be virtually finished and its just the cosmetic changes to the receiver and make stocks

Comment

a little more progress ,more than is visible at least , both the muzzle cones are welded in place as are the sleeves for the barrel handles , there's also two sleeves for the handles not just one , finally one of the D shaped gas blocks is welded and blended inn and the side pieces made for the other barrel , so little to see for the amount of time it takes .
            Once i have the other D block welded and blended then its on to the sights , after the sight's its the cosmetic overhaul of the receiver and stock .

Comment

front sights milled out of billet steel , just need the shrouds and welding to the barrels .

Comment

To my shame this thread has been dormant for some time ( family problems ) but its back now and I'm on the sprint again . One of the things I've been least looking forward to is the stock , I'm not much of a woodworker but I've recently added a 3D printer to my tool box and I've got quite obsessed with it , now how is a 3D printer of any use you ask ? well I believe they are now becoming a genuinely useful tool that can create usable products rather than the flimsy ,easily broken stuff of the past . This has been something of an Odyssey for me as I've had to learn computer aided design , slicer software and the mechanics of the printers themselves but I think I'm getting there , your still asking what has this to do with a MK1 Bren stock ? well you can print in a wood plastic mix , around 12% wood content and that means it looks , feels , smells , sands and takes wood stain just like wood !
                I got a bit invested , here's a timeline of prototypes and test prints, some of them have very poor surface quality and that is because they are draft quality prints , very fast , almost hollow and only printed as dimension tests .This is not a perfect 1 to 1 copy of a MK1 stock , more of an artists impression that is compatible with the gun being converted .
                First a copy of the ZB26 stock as practice .

A crude rough

A fit test piece

A more refined shape

Some more test pieces

This is the finished design but a failed print due to a blockage in the extruder nozzle , rather frustrating as it was 15 hours into a 17 hour print , you can see the top is missing , ho hum another is printing now , the first picture is as it comes off the printer with all the support material still attached .

And after a slight clean up

This one shows an internal cross piece (in red) that connects the strap fittings so it will be strong enough to use .

Finally a pile of pieces that might show the degree I've become invested in this .

Comment

The second stock came out well , i also did a coat of stain on the failed one so you can see the effect , I've done no sanding yet so the print layers are still visible but not unattractive if left ,i'll sand and re stain , the handle mount on the under side is also a printed part as is the butt plate .

There's space inside for either a 2200 mah 7.2 v or 1600 mah 11.1 v lipo in the stock while retaining the fuse holder.

Comment

pictures after sanding and re staining.

Comment

Very nearly done now , just the sight leaf , mags and some tidying up to do .

Comment

Absolutely cracking word dadio, you should be really proud of all the work you've put into it.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

dadio Find out more about dadio
                        Working...
                        X