X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2nd Bat. 502nd PIR, 101st Airborne in Normandy impression

Everything is looking pretty good, except:

US:
    Tuck the leather chin inside the liner, it wasn't used in the field and having it bonce off your cheek all day wasn't fun so it was tucked away.
    Gas mask bags were almost instantly dumped when they basically found out gas wasn't used it's okay to keep it for a D-Day/D-Day+1-3 but anything after its farby.
    Facial hair, everyone had to shave, officers included no one had beards and honestly kinda ruins these pictures.

British:
    We can ignore the Thompson since it's hard to get the M1928style thompson, MK5 Stens and Lee Enfields are really expensive.
    Facial hair again, when they jumped everyone shaved but when in the field some mustaches were seen on officers but that's it.

German:
    I'm not to familiar with the German stuff but it looks spot on again apart from the facial hair, all German soldiers had to shave even Generals.

Comment

Well my response is slightly fogged by the cloud of Photobucket's decision to hold everyone's images for ransom.
      However, thanks for your thoughts, though it amused me you noticed some things and not the obvious stuff I see. Anyhow, yes loose chin cup, I've used some artistic licence with this: I've seen a pic of a guy with it on D-Day and thought it looked cool. We don't have images or detailed accounts though from every para - some may have kept them on for a while whilst most probably binned them.
      Similar with the gas mask bag, my impression is roughly around D-Day to a few days later so might have been shedding the useless stuff but perhaps I'm not convinced at this point the Germans definitely aren't using gas?
      With regard to shaving, fair point we both had a bit much however there are plenty of images out there of soldiers in this era with facial hair, Germans too. Some guys have a fair length stubble a couple days after shaving and having had quite a difficult day or two in Normandy shaving probably wouldn't be my priority!

Finally regarding the Thompson;

There is always a fifth Sherman!

Comment

Shame photobucket screwed up your pics, I have reenacted 506th, 501st and 509th South of France for the last 12 or so years, would have been nice to see the pics. good luck with your impression

Comment

"I have reenacted 506th, 501st and 509th South of France"

Wow 509.

Not often I hear anyone who knows about the Gingerbread men. One of my favourite US units of WW2, originals and totally overlooked today. A great unit to read about with a Battle history that reads like a novel or movie script. If I had the time I'd love to do WW2 Airsoft and the 509PIB would be the US unit I'd do.

Out of interest do you spay your M42s in camo paint for the South of France look? I have seen pics and read that most of the 1st ABTF did before they jumped on Op Dragoon.

CBH

Comment

Oh yes, the champagne campaign lol.

M42's sprayed with OD/black vechicle paint, from a compressor with a box over your head just like they did on the airfield before take off - webbing, Musette as well.

Comment

Nice.

Comment

Your webbing isn’t very accurate to the 502nd. No 2nd batt ID. Id have a good look at some original pics.

Comment

Thanks Squish, it's an airsoft kit so it's never going to be 100% accurate; don't think any airborne dropped into Normandy with an electric BB gun...and as mentioned as well: this is largely based on the Brothers In Arms games kit.
                  Could you elaborate what is inaccurate though as I'm always amending or changing for practicality? Pics or reference would be beneficial
                  The 2nd battalion ID is right there on the helmet, dunno what else to say unless I've missed other insignia?
                  TBH, 13,000 of these guys dropped into Normandy at the dead of night, there were standards of kit but no one perfectly stuck to it with everything required. You can't really say a particular loadout didn't exist somewhere amongst the maelstrom of battle
                  Last edited by TheMarkofZollo; 30 August, 2022, 11:34.
                  There is always a fifth Sherman!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

TheMarkofZollo Find out more about TheMarkofZollo
                  Working...
                  X