APS rhino fibre optic flip up sight. Low light

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• APS rhino fibre optic flip up sight. Low light

Hi. I stumbled across a Chinese retailer selling the aps rhino fibre optic on special offer... It was almost buy front get rear free. I am a fan of back up sights as I have had numerous mid game red dot probs. I wasn't sure how old the sight was as there isn't a huge amount on t-net about them. Having owned most flip ups on the market I purchased some.

I own a few sights with fibres but they are on pistols. I wasn't sure how the fibre would work over a full length gun. For those of you that have not tried fibres... They basically make use of any light available and give you a single dot at the front 2 at the rear. General colours, red, orange, light green, yellow. I have combined all sorts of colours an I prefer darker front lighter rear. Having run saph fibres on my hi capas for 2 years now... I'm hooked on the concept.

Back to the rhino.

Unfortunately not in the sale anymore but still a good price. Front and rear fit rails with a fairly low profile. Low light the dots work really well. On further inspection I noticed the fibres seem to be heat moulded in on the ends so no fear of glue giving up and loosing the fibre. I tried these from low light to bright light and you do instantaneously loose the front but once "YOUR" eyeball adjusts you are back on target quickly.

Being made of a some sort of polyprop fibre it's not strictly a BUIS. (Back up iron sight). I will wait to see what retailers decide on with that one.

Like the earlier sights by pushing the aps logo on the top the sight pops up on a good firm spring. The pop up is left to right adjustable but I will have to check if the fibre is on the same carrier and moves with it. Answer soon in an edit. The flip ups are better for stocks with raised cheek guards, full face masks and triple chins. The rear site does have a flip down tab for a small and medium viewing hole.

For me, the sights tick a lot of boxes. The box it came in was well marked up and presented, the casting edges are well trimmed off. The sprung locking feels very positive, fits nicely on all rails tried. An excellent gift for any gun lover.

I know there are issues over fake mag pull flip ups. Someone tried to sell me a set claiming they were real. I asked him to see how stong the front sight viewing pin was. He said it was "really strong".... I replied "ok, if it's so strong... Where is it... Kerching... £££... "No sale"... Rhino front pin, sensible strength test carried out, test passed.
    Last edited by Fizzy; 24 June, 2015, 12:13. Reason: Retailer link removed

About the Author

Collapse

ginger colin Find out more about ginger colin
Working...
X