Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Marui M4A1 MWS GBBR Review + VS GHK M4 Video

Hi guys.

I've waited for this rifle to be released for what felt like forever. This is among the first batch and I ordered 3 additional magazines which I was told will be sent in the next couple of weeks. I didn't mind that, just as long as I had TM's latest offering.

The usual snazzy (compared to a boring brown cardboard GHK and the like boxes) Marui gun box contains the well presented rifle.

Closer inspection of the finish revealing a dull matte grey finish, texture feeling rugged. Not so much rough. Just feels like a decent rugged finish, this being my first hands on with a Cerakoted product.

Build quality:

It's a solid feeling rifle, zero play between the upper and lower receiver. The delta ring isn't as difficult to pull back as the stiffer GHK and allows the easy removal of the rail without wishing one had three hands. The receiver is also able to be broken down without the need of tools right out of the box, the captive pins are super easy to remove.

Contrast in colour between the outer barrel and front iron sight is instantly noticeable. The grey finish, similar to that on the receiver is present on the triangular front sight and with it being over the outer barrel, it's one of the first things one may note when first picking up the rifle. Although the lovely 5.56 Nato markings almost make up for it.

By the way it is a one piece outer barrel so it lacks the detachable extension found some of the recoils etc.. Shame.

The Colt style buttstock feels very cheap. Flimsy, rattling and cheap. Also buffer tube diameter is commercial spec, GHK buttstock being milspec....spec? Is too tight to attach.

The Knights style RIS system while old hat nowadays, appears to be the same as the one present on the SOPMOD Recoil, although don't quote me on that as its been a while since I've had one to compare. The rail number markings are fine and well represented.
    Also the top rail aligns well between the upper. I wish I could say the same for the GHK M4, which by the way on mine is a little off.

The Knights style folding rear adjustable iron sight is also a brilliant little device. Adjustable both in windage and elevation in very lovely audible clicks. Tokyo Marui Made In Japan written on the front face towards enemy.

The dust cover is somewhat ghastly with its visible screw holding the pin and spring in place. However it serves it's purpose and is perhaps something potential buyers could replace if they so desire.

Weight:

Loaded with its 35rd magazine, the MWS weighs 3025g

With the GHK M4 with its magazine at 3105g. Only thing is I have the 10.5" GHK so not exactly doing it right here. Ha. But goes to show the MWS is a light and flickable carbine. Thumbs up from me!

Magazine:

The MWS magazine is finished with the same coating as the MWS and weighs a mere 465g.

Also as you may be able to tell the fill valve is not at a direct 90 degree angle as it faces out of the bottom of the magazine.

Also worth noting GHK AR Magazines and their weight:

G5

M4

Bolt Carrier

MWS

GHK

It's surprising the weight being almost the same however the shooting impulses are different between them. More on that later.

ZET System and lower internals

While we are all yet to determine the systems longevity (especially on green gas), we can still marvel at TM's strive for upmost performance over realism.

Hammer down

Hammer up

^ Note the lack of retaining pin for the bolt catch.

Versus GHK

Shooting

The MWS is a hoot to shoot, so snappy and smooth. No doubt the bearings on the hammer and on the carrier aid in it being so slick. I have fired about 1k and I have yet to encounter any issues or broken parts as a result of using Propane. While the recoil isnt as heavy as other GBBR's, its high cyclic rate more than makes up for it.
    I can compare it to shooting the Marui MP7. Just bigger. It is as much fun shooting this on green gas as it is shooting the GHK is on C02. No sluggishness, just instant dynamite. Rock and roll on tap.

Chrono with .20's on green gas indoors in the 330's.

When I have the time I intend to see how she fairs in colder conditions, perhaps cooling the magazines in a fridge along with the GHK to see which copes best in the lower temperatures.
    Target shooting has revealed decent groupings at 25m. Using .28g bbs it put 8 out of 10 shots onto the Marui Target paper that was supplied with the rifle and the GHK M4 providing similar results, although only scoring 6 hits on paper.

The magazines must be filled to the brim (at least a good 10s) in order to empty the bbs unlike the GHK where you would only need a quick 4-5 blast of gas for it to fire off a mag fill and then some.

Pros:
    Cerakoted Finish
    Lightweight and easy to throw around
    Lighter Magazines than GHK
    Reliable bolt lock
    Crisp and smooth shooting
    High Cyclic rate
    TM's renowned Magical (VSR Type) Hop ;-)
    Also the Hopup dial clicks when adjusting for fine tuning
    Cheaper than GHK
    Cheaper Magazines than GHK

Cons:
    Designed to be used on 144a (TM usual. Higher pressure gas at owners risk)
    Not as internally realistic as some of its conpetitors
    Low gas efficiency compared to GHK M4 System
    Lower recoil impulse
    TM Proprietary internal parts
    Lack of upgrades (at time of review)
    Non RS Compatible Rail (as per TM usual I guess)

Take a look at my TM M4 MWS VS GHK M4 video to see them going at it.

Thanks for looking guys.
    http://www.youtube.com/badabingpictures

https://www.facebook.com/BadaBingPictures

Re: Tokyo Marui M4A1 MWS GBBR Review + VS GHK M4 Video

Keeps us updated on your findings Bing, it will be much appreciated. Thanks for the review.

Comment

Very nice, wanting one of these in the new year, shame RS rails aren't compatible.
      Don't forget to submit feedback! http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php

Comment

Thanks guys. It's a lovely and solid performer.

Here's an update, magazine disassembly.

Comment

Tokyo Marui M4A1 MWS GBBR Review + VS GHK M4 Video

Good reviews. I'm stuck between the GHK M4 CQB and TM M4A1 at the moment myself. I do like TM and have a 5.1 hi Capa as a secondary but my plan was to get the GHK M4 and fit the heavy recoil buffer and spring but now the TM M4 had arrived I was slightly unsure. However, getting two mag refills before gas refills and the current support for the GHK puts it slightly in front for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Last edited by Steel Chameleon; 22 December, 2015, 19:35.

Comment

Great info. Thank you for the videos. Would you be up for taking on a barrel / upper disassembly as I would like to fit my Guarder steel outer barrel but I am not confident to disassemble the MWS without a guide showing the pitfalls..

Comment

Originally posted by Steel Chameleon View Post
              Good reviews. I'm stuck between the GHK M4 CQB and TM M4A1 at the moment myself. I do like TM and have a 5.1 hi Capa as a secondary but my plan was to get the GHK M4 and fit the heavy recoil buffer and spring but now the TM M4 had arrived I was slightly unsure. However, getting two mag refills before gas refills and the current support for the GHK puts it slightly in front for me.
              It's a tough call as they both have great features/advantages. Yes GHK efficiency wins for sure however how many times do you reload a GBBR magazine without topping up the gas? One could increase TMs gas efficiency (using green gas) by removing the hollow tube that is connected to the fill valve inside the magazine. I have successfully emptied almost 3 loads of bbs using this method. It's long term effects to the system remains to be seen, however initial tests are quite pleasing. It's able to contain a higher charge of gas because of this.

Tokyo-Joe

Sure, I can have a look into it. However I'm not sure of its outer barrel compatibility, I haven't looked into any replacements.

Comment

Okay I just watched Nugentgl's rail install and he confirms both the outer barrel and barrel nut are propriety to TM. There are two Japanese companies making a spacer that overcomes this, I saw one for $25. That's a bit of a pain.

Comment

Angrygun has just released a multi barrel kit for M4 MWS which should enable you to build up all popular M4 barrel combinations with it. I have ordered one and will be happy to update this thread when it arrives?

Comment

I cant seem to find them, which lengths are they offering?
                    Its ok, found it, do we know which thread they are?
                    HK MP5k PDW//IMI Uzi//HK MP5a4//HK MP5a5//M3 Grease Gun//HK51//L119a1//HK G36k//Colt M653//Colt M733 with M203//Steyr AUG A1//AMD 65//DSA SA58//Colt M16vn//H&K G3a3//Sig P226//Colt 1911a1//Sig P226r//STI 2011

Comment

All lengths, I have only seen them on one of the Asian sites which I purchased them from. Ally construction not steel unfortunately but they look good. Google angrygun m4 marui barrel.

- - - Updated - - -

14mm ccw

Comment

Be my guest Joe.

I saw these barrel sets. Very interesting, im spoilt for choice. Oh so many different rail possibilities.
                        Like the crazy amount of ice cream flavours I can't possibly choose one.

Comment

Well I got the barrel set and while breaking down the mws outer barrel assembly was easy unfortunately I failed to realise that this is for a blackout configuration so the lengths do not mate up with the front site post, nor are there mounting groves for the front sight post. Bummer. The barrel nut was also unable to fit over the new barrels largest diameter part which is a problem.

Comment

That's a shame dude. I couldn't tell from the pictures if it had the grooves cut for the front sight pins, now we know. So the delta ring doesn't fit with the barrel set?

I know Spear Arms now make an adapter to enable WA /G&P WOC outer barrels to fit, that's an interesting development.

Comment

Originally posted by Bada Bing View Post
                              That's a shame dude. I couldn't tell from the pictures if it had the grooves cut for the front sight pins, now we know. So the delta ring doesn't fit with the barrel set?

I know Spear Arms now make an adapter to enable WA /G&P WOC outer barrels to fit, that's an interesting development.
                              Great review, and fantastic videos. Perfect comparison to the GHK, as mosts people are going to measure it against that.

Like many others I am torn between them, getting at least 2 full mags out of 1 charge of GG makes a big difference for me, so I'm a little disappointed in the TM performance. The system seems like it should be more efficient. I'm thinking it may be safer to go with the GHK (and the low power bolt), rather than removing parts from mags. Not sure yet.

Any updates on reliability/performance?

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bada Bing Find out more about Bada Bing
                              Working...
                              X