Collapse

New project - advice and ideas please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New project - advice and ideas please!

Ive been wanting to pick up an AEG for a project, the aim of which is to replace every single internal and some external parts, hopefully in doing so learning how the thing works and getting to grips with modding/upgrading and also being able to repair my own guns.

ive just picked up a G&G GC16 Raider-L (the full metal version), wouldnt have necessarily been my first choice for this, but it was dirt cheap so thats what im using.

My question at this stage is, where would you start? What would be a good logical order to consider for this process if im going to ultimately work through all the parts?

Any help and advice would be very welcome as im a complete novice when it comes to internals.

TIA

Re: New project - advice and ideas please!

You will always get differing advice person to person and it depends on what you want to achieve at the end. For what it is worth this is what I would do personally and in the order I would do it. Of course this depends on the quality of parts that are used in the first place.

I have a thing for trigger response... I don't care a huge amount about rate of fire, accuracy or range compared to trigger response. There is nothing worse than pulling the trigger and hearing your gearbox wind up with that horrible delay before the bb is shot so most of these upgrades have that in mind as an objective.

1. Deans connectors - Tamyia connectors are awful and cheap. Deans give you better all round efficiency.
    2. AoE - Angle of engagement should be corrected. This will make your piston last a great deal longer. Youtube will tell you how
    3. MOSFET - Again I can't really explain this in short. But you need one. I would recommend a trigger type that goes in the gearbox. This will help you with things such as overspin, cycle completion and shorten your trigger pull as well as many other things. JeffTron do some great trigger mosfets for cheap if you are on a budget.
    4. Wiring - While you do the mosfet you may as well stick some thick wiring in to improve efficiency and allow you to run an 11.1V lipo well.
    5. Check shimming. Again a complex skill and youtube is your friend. On modern guns such as your G&G it should be pretty good already.
    6. Motor - High torque motors are great. SHS do a good one for around 30 quid. Will massively up your trigger response.

At this point you should have a gun you can happily run an 11.1V lipo in with a decent trigger response RELIABLY.

From this point you can take it where ever you want. DMR, high ROF, accuracy, consistency, range and so on. You should have a nice reliable platform to work on.

Few last tips. Invest in good tools. A screwdriver set, soldering iron and a dremel are all things I could not live without. If you don't have the correct screw drivers you will quickly start rounding off screws which will make working on your gun a nightmare. Various tape, pliers, oils and greases are always good to have handy.

Be prepared to do a ton of research. Google can be an invaluable source of information as can forums such as these. Guys such as TheAirsoftTech on youtube can also be very handy for tutorials on how to carry out work on your gun.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Again remember this is just my advice. I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me and there are a lot of people out there more experienced than myself so hunt around to get the best information you can.

Comment

Originally posted by BikerEddd View Post
      You will always get differing advice person to person and it depends on what you want to achieve at the end. For what it is worth this is what I would do personally and in the order I would do it. Of course this depends on the quality of parts that are used in the first place.

I have a thing for trigger response... I don't care a huge amount about rate of fire, accuracy or range compared to trigger response. There is nothing worse than pulling the trigger and hearing your gearbox wind up with that horrible delay before the bb is shot so most of these upgrades have that in mind as an objective.

1. Deans connectors - Tamyia connectors are awful and cheap. Deans give you better all round efficiency.
      2. AoE - Angle of engagement should be corrected. This will make your piston last a great deal longer. Youtube will tell you how
      3. MOSFET - Again I can't really explain this in short. But you need one. I would recommend a trigger type that goes in the gearbox. This will help you with things such as overspin, cycle completion and shorten your trigger pull as well as many other things. JeffTron do some great trigger mosfets for cheap if you are on a budget.
      4. Wiring - While you do the mosfet you may as well stick some thick wiring in to improve efficiency and allow you to run an 11.1V lipo well.
      5. Check shimming. Again a complex skill and youtube is your friend. On modern guns such as your G&G it should be pretty good already.
      6. Motor - High torque motors are great. SHS do a good one for around 30 quid. Will massively up your trigger response.

At this point you should have a gun you can happily run an 11.1V lipo in with a decent trigger response RELIABLY.

From this point you can take it where ever you want. DMR, high ROF, accuracy, consistency, range and so on. You should have a nice reliable platform to work on.

Few last tips. Invest in good tools. A screwdriver set, soldering iron and a dremel are all things I could not live without. If you don't have the correct screw drivers you will quickly start rounding off screws which will make working on your gun a nightmare. Various tape, pliers, oils and greases are always good to have handy.

Be prepared to do a ton of research. Google can be an invaluable source of information as can forums such as these. Guys such as TheAirsoftTech on youtube can also be very handy for tutorials on how to carry out work on your gun.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on

Again remember this is just my advice. I am sure a lot of people will disagree with me and there are a lot of people out there more experienced than myself so hunt around to get the best information you can.
      Thanks, appreciate the advice. If we start with deans and wiring in general, is it better to look for a deans wire set with mosfet, or get wires, connectors and mosfet separately? Not too concerned with cost.. Also, just forward thinking, how specific are wires? To what extent do you need to consider compatibility with everything the wires connect to such as motor, trigger etc..?

Sent from my ONE E1003 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did it all separately and I did work in the end.

If you do decide to go with a JeffTron trigger mosfet, who I bought it from, they do offer a wiring service where they do it all for you. May seem like a bit of a short cut but they will most likely do a decent job. Going your own way you need to get deans, motor connectors, wiring, heat shrink and so on. Not to mention being a bit of a soldering wiz. If you are then by all means put it all together yourself but you may get a better bit of kit by just splashing out and letting them put the wiring harness together for you for less than a tenner.

They are other options on the market in terms of mosfet types but from my experience trigger mosfets are the dogs bollocks. This is the one I got as I said from JeffTron http://airsoftspareparts.com/index.p...product_id=535

Other brands to look at may be BTC or ASCU however I do not have any experience with them.

The way I see it the thickest wire you can fit is the one you should go for. I tend to use 16 gauge and it just about fits!

Comment

I did it all separately and I did work in the end.

If you do decide to go with a JeffTron trigger mosfet, who I bought it from, they do offer a wiring service where they do it all for you. May seem like a bit of a short cut but they will most likely do a decent job. Going your own way you need to get deans, motor connectors, wiring, heat shrink and so on. Not to mention being a bit of a soldering wiz. If you are then by all means put it all together yourself but you may get a better bit of kit by just splashing out and letting them put the wiring harness together for you for less than a tenner.

They are other options on the market in terms of mosfet types but from my experience trigger mosfets are the dogs bollocks. This is the one I got as I said from JeffTron http://airsoftspareparts.com/index.p...product_id=535

Other brands to look at may be BTC or ASCU however I do not have any experience with them.

The way I see it the thickest wire you can fit is the one you should go for. I tend to use 16 gauge and it just about fits!
          Well, considering iver never held a soldering iron then maybe thats a step too ambitious at this stage so the extra tenner is probably the way forward. I guess ill be working the gearbox first then, can you recommend gears/gearbox? Presumably makes sense to shim at this stage too

Comment

If you have never held a soldering iron before then yes it is certainly is the way forward :D by all means it is a very useful thing to learn in airsoft but you don't want to be practising on a 50 quid tiny processor...

Personally in my ICS M4 I have stock gears. If they are shimmed right then your gears should last for a very long time. I may be looking at some SHS high speed gears soon. High speed gears with a high torque motor tend to yield the best trigger response so if you are desperate to change everything then I would look at them. In fact I find SHS a good supplier for a lot of internal bits. Again your G&G gearbox should be just fine as it is. If I am right they should have metal bushings as stock and don't usually get stuffed with low quality grease like the older budget guns so should be good to go.

If you are looking to put in high speed gears and high torque motors with 11.1 lipos and so on then AoE would be a good one to get out the way. Before doing AoE correction make sure you are happy with your piston, piston head and cylinder head as these will all affect where the piston rests so must be sorted first. I THINK G&G M4's have plastic cylinder heads with a single o-ring which I would replace with metal. Again I have had good experience with SHS cylinder heads.

Comment

If you have never held a soldering iron before then yes it is certainly is the way forward :D by all means it is a very useful thing to learn in airsoft but you don't want to be practising on a 50 quid tiny processor...

Personally in my ICS M4 I have stock gears. If they are shimmed right then your gears should last for a very long time. I may be looking at some SHS high speed gears soon. High speed gears with a high torque motor tend to yield the best trigger response so if you are desperate to change everything then I would look at them. In fact I find SHS a good supplier for a lot of internal bits. Again your G&G gearbox should be just fine as it is. If I am right they should have metal bushings as stock and don't usually get stuffed with low quality grease like the older budget guns so should be good to go.

If you are looking to put in high speed gears and high torque motors with 11.1 lipos and so on then AoE would be a good one to get out the way. Before doing AoE correction make sure you are happy with your piston, piston head and cylinder head as these will all affect where the piston rests so must be sorted first. I THINK G&G M4's have plastic cylinder heads with a single o-ring which I would replace with metal. Again I have had good experience with SHS cylinder heads.
              ok thanks, thats really helpful. I think for now then ill wait for the mosfet and wires to arrive (just ordered, cheers!) and a set of shims.. should keep me busy for a while and will be able to check out what bushings and cylinder head is inside.. will take it from there and let you know! thanks again.. tbc.

Comment

No worries man If you are super keen to throw your wallet at it and replace everything I would suggest an SHS high torque with SHS high speed gears. Same brand stuff tends to mesh well together (as you might expect) and no point shimming your current gears if you are just gunna go ahead and replace it all anyway!

Look forward to hearing your progress!

Comment

what you say makes sense.. i do fear a wrathful wife if she gets wind of all this cost :/

ill keep you posted!

Comment

I decided eventually to take this gun down the DMR route - final spec will hopefully be:

G&G GC-16 Raider L
                    AIM Reinforced Tappet Plate
                    Airsoft Hardened Polycarbonate AEG Sector Gear Delay Chip
                    ASG Ultimate Bearing Spring Guide
                    ASG 25mm RISER RAIL
                    ASG Ultimate Shim set 0.10mm 0.20mm
                    ASG Ultimate Shim set 0.15mm 0.30mm
                    CVLIFE 9-13 Inches Rifle Bipod
                    Elite Force 140rd Midcap Magazine - Black x4
                    Guarder Cylinder Enhancement Set
                    Guarder High Precision Oil Tampered Nozzle
                    Jefftron Processor Unit V2 with Anti Break Mosfet - Deans
                    MADBULL Black Python 6.03mm Tight Bore Inner AEG Barrel. (363mm)
                    MADBULL SPRING M130
                    MADBULL 180mm Blackside Gemtech Supressor
                    Maple Leaf AST Airsoft AEG Hopup Rubber Bucking - 70°
                    Modify 8mm Ceramic Bearing Set
                    Modify Accurate Aluminium Hopup Chamber
                    Modify Anti-Reversal Latch
                    Retro Arms CNC Machined Aluminium Cut off lever - Red
                    Retro Arms CZ Custom CNC Aluminium Speed Trigger - Red (Type C)
                    SHS 13:1 AEG HIGH SPEED GEARS
                    SHS HIGH TORQUE MOTOR LONG
                    Strike Industries Cobra Tactical Foregrip - Black
                    Vokul 2.5-10x40 Tactical Rifle Scope
                    VP 11.1v 1300mAh 25C LiPo - Crane Stock Battery - Deans x2

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

megaman666 Find out more about megaman666
                    Working...
                    X