Late war MG gunner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late war MG gunner

...Finishing up a loadout that I got out pure spontaneousness (Saw a AGM MG42 go up for sale and at the same time someone had a WE Luger...Was meant to be :P) ...So, just thought I'd post this to grab some feedback (Yes yes I know the belt is wrong...I ordered a period correct one...Or so I thought...Turns out I ordered a webbing belt not a waist one so was much too small!)

Also, need some opinion here...

Keep as is (With proper belt, boots and some gloves) Or...Add a M42 Smock with a A harness... (Which was original loadout I was going for as I am basing it off this picture) http://img37.picoodle.com/i52c/20wp_b31_u0.jpg

Thanks in advance for feedback!

IMG_20160314_151009.jpgIMG_20160314_151047.jpgIMG_20160314_151113.jpg
    A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him

Re: Late war MG gunner

Well, for a start, you are wearing a Heer jacket with SS trousers.

Comment

After another post (See the "So...The old question") I decided against using SS collar tabs and SS markings. (Minus the trousers)
      A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him

Comment

Glad to see it coming together.

Comment

Definitely a wise move.

Comment

I would go with the M42 smock with those trousers. I'm not an expert on historical military dress, I'm just going by looks.
            Da Posh Boi, innit

Comment

SO! Update...I did end up getting the smock and swapping the helmet for a replica M42 one (In normandy colours seeing as it would be odd IMO being grey with all the camo) ...Just missing a Y harness (Was out of stock) But I am rather pleased :D

IMG_20160401_162627.jpgIMG_20160401_162652.jpgIMG_20160401_162712.jpg

In retrospect probably should of taken the Luger out the holster so I could get a picture of it not sagging and seated higher up (Belt should be in-line with Smock pockets...Ish IMO) But too lazy :P Y harness should fix the issue when they are back in stock

Comment

I wouldnt bother with an A harness, i think they were generally dropped of at the FUP before combat.

Get a zeltbahn, secure it to your y straps... looks the business and is dead handy if it rains or you need more camo.

SS police units , i seem to recall, wore heer style collar dogs with ss sleeve eagles. TBH, i'd just get a dot44 jacket, leave it unbadged and be done with it.

I leave mine unbadged but where a correctly badged tunic underneath.

or with a bit of 'old school' sepia (althought they didnt actually use sepia in the 40s...)

Comment

Very nice! And I never mentioned a "A harness" :P Going to go with the Y and get a proper belt (The one pictured is some cheapo one I'm making do with ATM) ...As for the Dot jacket with SS tunic...I mentioned above, I know the Heer tunic with the collar-tags I have doesn't match but I did that purposely...I plan to use this loadout for regular skirmishes not WW2 Milsims or re-enactments so trying to keep away from the SS as much as possible (IMO the casual onlooker won't know the association with the dot trousers hence why I decided to keep them in the loadout)

Comment

Sorry you said "Add a M42 Smock with a A harness" So i thought you were referring to the WWII 'A frame/harness pack' worn to keep the kit all together on your back.

The capital 'A' after a lower case 'a' made me think you were referring to that specific piece of kit.

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
                      Sorry you said "Add a M42 Smock with a A harness" So i thought you were referring to the WWII 'A frame/harness pack' worn to keep the kit all together on your back.

The capital 'A' after a lower case 'a' made me think you were referring to that specific piece of kit.

Yeah after re-reading it would seem I did! Apologies >.> Must of been tired :P
                      Last edited by DatJames; 2 April, 2016, 03:34.

Comment

No worries, just saying why i got confused

Comment

Your kit looks good btw. I know you're not going for bang on historical but 'give it time'... the bug will get you and you'll find yourself adding stuff left right and centre... we all did when we started WWII airsoft. We went from 'it will look ok from 20 foot away' to trawling re-enactor forums to find the right shade of paint to cam helmets

- - - Updated - - -

I like the mismatch camo, thats proper. Loads of people get obsessed with matching pattern stuff. The ss didnt actually differentiate between patterns it was just in the stores as 'smock , camouflage' its only re-enactors and collectors that started using names like 'oakleaf a' and 'planetree'. Supply shortages meant that units used whatever was available and you see SS troops using Heer camo occasionally and vice versa. I've got pics of an army (heer) tank unit in Russia and the officer in the turret is wearing a jacket in SS blotchy camo.

Looks good, keep it up. wear what you like for gaming but if anyone starts being an knob about it being the wrong camo for the tunic i'll happily send you pics of a heer soldier in an ss camo tunic if you like to shut em up

Comment

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
                            Your kit looks good btw. I know you're not going for bang on historical but 'give it time'... the bug will get you and you'll find yourself adding stuff left right and centre... we all did when we started WWII airsoft. We went from 'it will look ok from 20 foot away' to trawling re-enactor forums to find the right shade of paint to cam helmets

- - - Updated - - -

I like the mismatch camo, thats proper. Loads of people get obsessed with matching pattern stuff. The ss didnt actually differentiate between patterns it was just in the stores as 'smock , camouflage' its only re-enactors and collectors that started using names like 'oakleaf a' and 'planetree'. Supply shortages meant that units used whatever was available and you see SS troops using Heer camo occasionally and vice versa. I've got pics of an army (heer) tank unit in Russia and the officer in the turret is wearing a jacket in SS blotchy camo.

Looks good, keep it up. wear what you like for gaming but if anyone starts being an knob about it being the wrong camo for the tunic i'll happily send you pics of a heer soldier in an ss camo tunic if you like to shut em up

Thank-you for the input and haha I'll hold you to that (Regarding to the pictures :P ) More worried honestly of people getting mouthy due to the SS nature (Even though I don't have the SS markings) But hey, first game-day with it in 2 weeks so we shall see

EDIT: In regards to the 'historical bug' The only thing really stopping me is the weight of the MG...I did have a breadbag, Entrenching shovel etc to complete the webbing all lined up but I wanna see if I can last a day just lugging what is seen first :P

Comment

makes sense, we used to carry breadbags mainly to keep BBS in and the ressie tin is great for gas cannisters. I've actually seen gas Mp44s and Mg34s fed froma concealed tank in the ressie tin.

Allegedly a lot of german soldiers threw away their gas mask and used the tin to carry food and drink to prevent it getting crushed or soaked

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

DatJames Find out more about DatJames
                              Working...
                              X