"Tell you what. I'll have that gun off ya for a fiver?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Tell you what. I'll have that gun off ya for a fiver?"

...said primarily as a joke whilst at the pub but to my surprise he said yes. This is the short and extremely uninteresting story of how I ended up with what you see below. A TM AK74u.

An ex rental weapon abused for years and thrown aside when it was no longer needed. As you can see it has had a hard and unforgiving life with little to no love..

These are just a couple of the signs showing the lack of treatment that it has had.

I was told that it had an FPS of roughly 80fps. When it worked... which apparently it did not.

First thing I did was strip the gearbox down just to make sure I wasn't going to come across any other horrors. As you can see the gearbox is not really in too bad of a shape. One of the main things that caught my attention was the condition of the trigger contacts. Being run for so many years at a semi only site with no mosfet had not been kind...

So I put the whole thing back together after cleaning off the trigger contacts and spraying a bit of oil about and the thing did work and cycle fine. It was putting out around 270FPS on a 0.2g which was probably due to a combination of old spring, dry o-rings and generally a bad air seal.

So once I knew it worked I took the gearbox out again and set about getting it in shape (on a budget of course). One of the main bits that stood out was was the piston and piston head. They clearly show there age by design and wear. The piston head was a standard non vented head and the piston had damage to the rear teeth. Although it still worked they just seemed too old and knackered to stay in the build. The cylinder head was made of plastic and suprisingly didn't really fit with the cylinder. It could be easily removed and provided a poor air seal. Although some Teflon tape could have fixed this I like having metal cylinder heads regardless. I would have liked to replace the plastic bushings but since this is being done on a tight budget I stuck with the following components.

SHS High Torque Motor - £30
    AirFet Mosfet (non braked) - £10
    Deans - n/a
    16 Gauge wire - n/a
    Madbull M100 - £13
    SHS Metal double o-ring cylinder head - £10
    Super Shooter Polymer Vented Piston Head - £10
    Polymer Piston (nuffin fancy just had one kicking about) - £10?

After all of this work was done it was firing about 345FPS with a 0.2g bb. A little high for the CQB environment it is heading into but I'm sure this will calm down once the spring beds in. Cycles at 18RPS with a nice crisp trigger response on a 7.4V 35C Lipo.

All that remained was to get rid of the awful worn and bodged paint job. The main body of the weapon I simply changed with another that I had lying around. The other components where rubbed down with wet and dry paper. Anything plastic has been sprayed black and the metal components I have left as they are. I found that by removing the previous paint it left a nice worn look as the different layers of paint wore through. Not for everyone I am sure but I quite like it.

The end cost of this 'build' was approximately 90 quid including the base weapon itself. I can confidently say I would rather have this than a brand new weapon in that price range. It may be tatty and sure as hell isn't going to win any beauty pageants but for under £100 it preforms admirably.

So my question to you lot is.. what would you do? You get a nail of a gun on the cheap and want to make it a decent weapon for less than £100. What would you put in it?

Re: "Tell you what. I'll have that gun off ya for a fiver?"

I've just picked up a CYMA M4 for a tenner, came with a bunch of MAG mids too. I'm planning on doing horrible horrible things to it lol

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
    -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
    -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Originally posted by jonny lovegrove View Post
      I've just picked up a CYMA M4 for a tenner, came with a bunch of MAG mids too. I'm planning on doing horrible horrible things to it lol
      What ya got in mind?

Comment

"No comment"

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk
        -TM Recoil M16 Custom- -TM 1911 MEU- -Tanaka SAA- -TM HK45- -JG G36k Ris-
        -ECHO1 SA58 OSW- -A&K Masada- -VFC FNX-45- -TM Recoil AKs-74u-

Comment

Great rebuild! It's a shame we don't get many of these type of threads any more. Those old TM's are fantastic for rentals, if left untouched they go on for ever. I did notice that the sector gear wasn't stock though I recently grabbed a CYMA Thompson which was broken for £40 which I thought was a bargain, but a fiver tops that! I've not long finished it, so will try to get some pics up soon before I pass it on.
          dsgdreamteam

Comment

Originally posted by sniperjesus View Post
            Great rebuild! It's a shame we don't get many of these type of threads any more. Those old TM's are fantastic for rentals, if left untouched they go on for ever. I did notice that the sector gear wasn't stock though I recently grabbed a CYMA Thompson which was broken for £40 which I thought was a bargain, but a fiver tops that! I've not long finished it, so will try to get some pics up soon before I pass it on.
            Thank you and no you don't seem to. I always used to find them quite interesting!
            I didn't even know it was a TM until I got my hands on it! Interesting observation. How can you tell out of interest? I had assumed that it was all stock but maybe not!
            £40 is a fine deal but you are right I was quite surprised to get it for a fiver! I think the guy was just fed up and wanted rid of it...

Be good to see some pics of it Will keep a look out for it!

Cheers

Comment

The only thing I would have done differently would have been a new set of bushings instead of the cylinder head or as well as but a nice bargain anyway ,with regard to 270fps after cleaning and lube,TM stock new out of box is only 280fps so only to have lost 10fps over that much abuse is pretty good going ,if you leave TM guns alone and not upgraded they just keep on going for ever and ever .

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

BikerEddd Find out more about BikerEddd
              Working...
              X