• Show
Clear All

Re: Marushin M1 Garand project

Photo update!

FB_IMG_1464541966824.jpg

FB_IMG_1464541973728.jpg

Comment

Parkerizing is also know as "phosphating" and is only for steel parts, so if its steel then ok.
      Phosphating is what would have been on the real rifle and is already a dark grey colour. So you will not need to get it cerakoted too!

Comment

I meant I was wondering what the best cerakote colour would be to replicate the parkerized look. It's probably a toss up between sniper grey, McMillan grey or Sig dark grey... I do have a bit of lee-way though as I've seen M1s in bluey-grey, light grey, dark grey (almost black) and even a greeny colour.

I've found a place in the US that will ship M1D M84 scope rings. Unfortunately I can't find anywhere that will ship the actual M84 scopes!

Comment

If going cerakote, then the sig grey looks close enough.
          But if the part is steel, its actually cheaper getting phosphated than cerakoted.
          And will look the mutts nutts.

Comment

Parts are mazac, ally at best so phospating is a no-go. Will no doubt go with the Sig dark grey.

Comment

It lives! Link to the mech working with the new bolt in situ:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?sto...52077308196579

All work is being carried out by Jim at LCS Engineering: wonderfully patient chap and is very good at his craft.

I think he is in the process of making the auxilliary gas tank which will fit under the barrel. Will keep you updated with progress.

Comment

Here's a little update on the auxilliary gas tank:

Aluminium tubing to form the tank itself
                FB_IMG_1465034904619.jpg
                The tank in situ
                FB_IMG_1465034909890.jpg
                Adapter for a microline to join the two tanks
                FB_IMG_1465034918477.jpg

Comment

With regard to a good parkerize finish on alloy,I'd polish the parts then use " birchwood Casey ally black " on them ,be very quick with it and run it under a tap fast or it goes sooty ,this can then be lightly polished again to give a stunning finish ,finally use a matt lacquer to protect it.

Comment

Been a bit quiet recently but have an update: the M1 will be winging its way back to me on Friday.

However, it would appear that the extra gas tank foes not work as intended: he has said that he can only get about 18 shots off before it fizzes out. Since this is the number of shots you can normally get off on the standard gas tank, I may have to HPA it...

Comment

Aaaaaaaand it's now waiting at the local post office at the end of the street but will have to wait until Friday before I can pick it up! Aaaaargh!

As for the gas problem, I have a solution: a Mancraft regulator with CO2 adapter (minus the gauge) should either fit in the stock itself or in a stock pouch on the side. This means I can run it off of 12g capsules in a more consistent manner than the original system and get more shots off before having to intervene. Plus it also means I can set the fps and have it at a safe/legal velocity.

Comment

Update: it works! BBs exit the barrel in a manner onr would expect!

However, I have hit a snag with the idea of fitting a regulator into the stock: changing the CO2 cartridges would be a massive ball-ache as removing the buttplate involves two screws and the rear slint mount... I may have to go the route of a stock pouch :/

Comment

If the pouch works and there are no dangling gas tubes to be seen then its a win , personally I hate seeing an umbilical cord coming out of a rifle to a gas cylinder in a back pack ,it just screams failed design to me but to each their own I guess .

Comment

Yeah I think it would be ok. I may just see how many rounds I can get off on a single CO2 bulb: may just be a case of needing to change the bulb every couple of games. I've got my eye on the PIG rifle stock pack though which would fit the bill nicely. Also going to get a Ferro concepts slingster in ranger green.

Comment

Hi Patrolpoiuntman. I have a M1 8mm with exactly the same issue. First time I fired it and the bolt fell off. I know it has been a while since the last post on this subject or am I being stupid but I don't suppose your engineer would be interested in making another for me. I sit there and look at it hanging on the wall wondering how I am going to get it to operate again.
                              Many thanks in anticipation. You would be making an old man very happy.
                              Regardss
                              Badattitude

Comment

Sorry for the very late reply but I haven't looked on this thread for ages, mainly because the regulator I'm waiting on hasn't been released yet!

As for the bolt, I don't think the chap that did it would be tempted to do another one purely because of the amount of time involved: it cost a whopping £160.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Patrolpointman Find out more about Patrolpointman
                                Working...
                                X