Marushin M1 Garand project

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Marushin M1 Garand project

So after acquiring a beaten up M1 Garand from a shop with a mind to sprucing it up, I thought it would be good to document the progress.

The action was actually still functional until I got it home at which point the infamous part 45 broke. This meant shipping off the two broken pieces to an engineer to have a new one machined.

Whilst this part is off being replicated in steel, I have managed to find steel replacement parts for the clip ejection system, a Tanio Koba twist barrel, recoil mech and a charging handle.

There isn't anywhere I can find that still stocks the magazines so I managed to source some 3D print files to have them made.

Also in the works is a way of increasing the gas capacity without having to use an external rig.

Stay tuned...

Re: Marushin M1 Garand project

Ooooo....

I do enjoy your handiwork

Comment

Thanks very much! Not sure when I will be getting the steel part from the engineer. I have however received the first 3D printed magazine: I haven't screwed it together yet (since the teeny tiny screws are yet to be dispatched) but it has passed the initial "drop on the floor to see if it breaks" test.

Comment

Wow. Sounds very, very impressive! (And expensive!) Definitely a thread to subscribe to!

Comment

This is the 3D printed clip with a bit of spare spring:

2016-03-30 21.18.55.jpg2016-03-30 21.19.46.jpg2016-03-30 21.20.07.jpg

Comment

PSA:

The M1 is being taken to an undisclosed location for Frankensteining on Saturday.

Carry on.

Comment

M1 dropped off! There's a metal tube below the lower hangduard (fore-end) which is connected to the fake gas cylinder beneath the barrel. The plan is to replace this tube, which I think is to replicate the op-rod on the real thing, with an additional gas tank which will slot into the gas cylinder and be connected to the existing tank by a high psi line.

He has already done something similar to a VSR- he connected a tank in the stock to a gas bolt so the plan is sound in theory and practice. This will effectively double the gas capacity of the rifle!

While machining the new bolt, he will be making the ouput nozzle smaller in diameter to restrict the power. I'm hoping for an FPS of about 300 on a .27 (within most limits!). Coupled with the TK twist barrel this *should* provide some accuracy.

Comment

Be interesting watching this develope..
                "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

I should be getting picture updates as the work progresses so I'll post them up here as and when I receive them. I just need to figure out a load carrying solution... I have seen some really cool modern M1 clip pouches but they don't ship outside the US :/

Comment

Afternoon...

Thought I should mention that the 3D print files for the magazines are available online: just google "Marushin M1 Garamd 8mm clip" and you should find the first result is for the thingiverse.com website.

I got the parts printed by Shapeways. Turn around was much quicker than quoted (about a week) and the quality is good.

I am tempted to spray the magazines a grey colour to match the stamped steel en-bloc clips...

Comment

Progress has been slow due to the nature of the beast but it's coming along!

FB_IMG_1461418252855.jpg

Comment

It's coming along nicely:

received_1068990636505238.jpg

Comment

Bit more progress on the infamous part 45:

received_1073306836073618.jpgreceived_1073306516073650.jpg

More to follow when I get updated!

Comment

Look at dat machinin' doe:

received_1074858842585084.jpg

received_1074859079251727.jpg

It's getting so close I can practically hear the squeals of people getting hit by 8mm marbles of DOOM...

Comment

Afternoon folks!

So it's been a bit quiet of late but my engineer is entitled to a holiday and work trips like everyone else. I've been informed he is back in country and has set aside tomorrow to get the bits finished. All being well I should have the whole thing back very shortly indeed.

Now I have a question with regards to parkerizing (parkerising?): I've been looking at various cerakote colours and can't decide which is the best fit for an M1 Garand's finish. Sig Dark Grey is looking like the best coloir at the moment.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Patrolpointman Find out more about Patrolpointman
                              Working...
                              X