Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Feasibility advice for a random bolt action idea

Hi all,

I'm become hooked on my TM VSR 10, which is currently running at aroind 500fps. The problem being that this has lead to a love of single shot bolt action rifles in general so fancy something without the MED of a full on sniper rifle but with the fun ker-click, ker-klunk of a BAR.

To this end I am looking to pick up a fairly budget BAR, with as short a barrel as possible then upgrade for consistency, accuracy and, to an extent, range (although not looking for full on sniper rifle range) but not FPS, to give me something along the lines of a WW2 style bolt action carbine, with fairly good accuracy, around 320-350fps on .20s and easy bolt pull, thus allowing me to fulfill my bolt action needs in an environment unsuited to full on sniping.

At this stage, I am still deciding which rifle to buy. I have considered some of the WW2 bolt action rifles but either the base quality of the rifle does not appear too great, there are limits on upgradeability due to proprietary parts or the price is rather high for a weapon that is probably going to be more for fun than serious skirmishing. I did consider a stock TM VSR Gspec without supressor but this is exactly what I have already and fancy something a bit different, possibly an M1 carbine style rifle or even something soviet looking, as long as it is not simply a spring version of a normally fully automatic weapon.

Any advice on a rifle would be appreciated, the shorter the barrel the better, the only major concerns being fairly robust externals (as I can be a clumsy bugger at times) and a fairly budget price (ie £50-100 - in case I hate or balls up my first attempt). Ideally a wooden or wooden effect stock would be nice but not absolutely necessary as I can always spray it and it would need to be available in the UK to avoid shipping costs etc.

The initial planned upgrades will be something along the lines of:

Air seal mods
    Barrel spacers
    Hop unit shims or replacement, rifle dependent
    Probably flat hop or similar
    Downgrade of spring if required (got the stock TM VSR one lying around)
    Replacement sears if needed although probably not required unless the stock trigger is terrible
    General clean up of any shoddy stock internals, cleaning, regreasing etc.

Also, how feasible to skirmish do people think that this rifle would be? My idea being to use it in a sort of underpowered DM role with a view forcing myself to an accurate first shot over spamming the trigger, or if sufficiently quiet possible in a scouting role, hence remaining under the 350fps limit.

Again, anything I have forgotten, please let me know. With regard to mods and upgrades, I have a fair bit of tech experience, mostly with gas guns and a moderate bit with spring rifles.

Cheers

Y0
    Last edited by Yankee0; 13 June, 2016, 01:42.

Re: Feasibility advice for a random bolt action idea

Speaking as part of the WW2 airsoft community ,I've regularly taken on aeg's with a battle rifle (sub 350fps bolty) ,the softer spring helps you get q fast cocking action but the real trick is to be calm and aim each shot ,you will never compete on an even level with an AEG at an open day but at ww2 events with ammo limits as low as 150 to 200 rnds per life it limits the advantage of automatics .
    The choice of rifle is academic except in that is should be compatible with after market parts.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Yankee0 Find out more about Yankee0
    Working...
    X