Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Realistic or unrealistic 2nd hand pricings.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Realistic or unrealistic 2nd hand pricings.

The above just comes down to how you advertise something and, potentially, laziness. After all, anything you buy online advertised with "free postage" is not really free postage at all, the cost of the postage has been calculated by the seller and included in the price they want to achieve for the product - they're just trying to make it more appealing.

My comment about potential laziness is down to the fact that some sellers (perhaps) can simply not be bothered to calculate what the paypal fees will be to include in their advertised price...

Comment

Some of the prices I see are bewildering. Like a RIF being sold with a 'custom' paint job and few accessories worth about £50 new, all for almost the same gun brand new.
      I agree that automatically deducting 30% off current retail value is a good place to start. But if it's been fully painted, I think there should be a further 10% - 20% off.
      Any paint job, no matter how good puts me off.

Comment

So in people's opinion, if a gun, say retails at £250.

And a person "upgrades" it - using fairly basic upgrades (motor, hop up, piston etc)

Would you say this changes he price or not?

Will it change the '-30%' off retail price people prefer, to something like 20% off

Or will it only serve as another incentive factor why you should purchase it (not affect the price) ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I'm personally more likely to buy a RIF that hasn't been messed about with. I'd have to get a damn sweet deal to buy an 'upgraded' RIF because I assume that (and personal experience validates this) it's never going to work as well as before it was messed with.

So say a RIF costs £300 new. Someone has one for sale that they have spent £100 upgrading. So that's £400 they've spent. There's no way I'd pay more than £200 for it. Less if it's been painted.

Comment

I would thought painting would drop the value on it myself

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Comment

That's a fair point, what about new rifles that are known to have an aspect that easily breaks and genuinely agreed upon needs changing, from my experience my examples are:
              - amoeba tappet plate
              - G&P pistons

May not be 100% true on every one of those guns out there but I've read that it's fairly agreed upon.

If those 'known to be weak' parts were upgraded, would this still lower the price for you?

Comment

In such a situation, I'd prefer to be the one to do the work. I don't personally know the person selling the gun. I don't know if they are a tech wizard or a cack handed idiot so the work may be done perfectly or it may be an utter botch job. I'm rolling the dice if I pay for a gun that's been tinkered with. I have to buy on the assumption that I will encounter problems with my purchase. Which is why I'm personally not prepared to pay much for such a gun.
                It is however a free market and if a seller can get good money for their uber upgraded RIF, that's perfectly fine, and I wish the buyer all the best.

Comment

Heh I bought a cack handed gun off here once. It worked out ok when I broke it for parts I only lost about £20.

Comment

I sold an old AEG once that I had heavily upgraded, high speed gears, 16AWG wiring, Deans, MOSFET, 11.1v LiPo, motor... plus a paint job. It did work but I think I sold it for £40 as a breaker because frankly it was due to blow at any time.

Comment

I have had bad experience with unuograded and upgraded guns alike.

Buying an untinkered (unopened by the seller) had its own risk (as does every second hand purchase).

I bought a gun before which worked fine for the seller and I saw this in his vids.
                      Worked fine for a game, until it broke and opened it up to find the gears were shredded and the motor short circuiting.

It was fine for him but I had received it at a time where it was bound to break at any time.

Those are the risks I guess

Comment

Ditto I sold a TM MP5 with far too powerful a spring in it and only shot in auto. I let it go + 2 mags and various accessories for £50.

Unsurprisingly it sold within 20 minutes :D

Comment

Not to mention the efcs in it broke and I had to replace that too

Comment

On the topic of Item condition. Should there be a set standard? Like that used for vinyl records say?, where every category has a clear definition. Maybe not as strict!

Comment

I agree on condition and description. There should be total disclosure and photos of any 'significant' marks/cracks/chips outside of normal skirmish scars, although this again is subjective.

I'm selling something atm and the only marks are on the mag from insertion so I've highlighted this in text and photos. I've followed this thread and adjusted the price as have taken into consideration what people have said regarding the 30% off cost pricing.

There is nothing worse than getting your parcel or travelling 'x' miles to see something that is not as described.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sean_waller Eat, shit, sleep, work repeat Find out more about sean_waller
                              Working...
                              X