Alternative to cylinder porting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative to cylinder porting?

Hello all, I'm after a bit of advice again due to my other project being stalled due to a combination of lack of funds and ill health.

I've had a good old search and can't seem to find this idea discussed anywhere so thought that I would open it up for some constructive criticism.....

With regard to my TM VSR gspec, I have been trying to work out a way of reducing the cylinder volume in order to perfect the cylinder to barrel volume for the rather short gspec barrel. Whilst I have previously done this by porting the cylinder, the idea of cutting a hole in my shiny new ASPUK cylinder does not appeal to me and so I sought other options, of which I coild find none, which got me thinking.....

In the quest for silence, efficiency and a consistent fps of around 480-490 on .20s (to allow for differences in sites chronos to mine), by my calculations of a 11mm Radius by 80mm Height (piston stroke cylinder depth) and a barrel volume of 3.0015mm Radius by 303mm Height (barrel length) which currently comes in at around 3.4 :1 ratio using the formula R2*H*π then dividing cylinder volume by barrel volume, needs to be reduce to around 3:1 ratio for maximum efficiency with the.40s I intend to use .

Having searched everywhere, everything I find comes back to porting the cylinder, which I don't really want to do, so I had a think about it and figured that if all that actually needs doing is the volume between the cylinder and the piston reducing, why not simply fill the space between the cylinder head and the piston with some form of material (I have ordered some 11mm radius sorbo speaker feet which I will stack to the right volume -in my case 11mm R x 12mm H (allowing for reduced volume of the air hole in the middle) and place these in the indicated area, thereby reducing available volume.

In order to prevent the piston from slammimg into the sorbo pads and not fully decompressing, I would look to get an overpowered spring then cut it down, thereby reducing wear and increasing efficiency with the bonus of being non-permanent and adjustable if I ever want to change barrel length or BB weight.

I apologise if this topic has already been discussed or indeed considered and rejected in the past, I could not find a similar subject anywhere.

If anyone can see any major flaws in my theory, or has tried this themselves, please let me know.

Many Thanks

Y0

Re: Alternative to cylinder porting?

I've no idea what any of that means, I just buy stuff, fit it, aim and pull the trigger...

Comment

Re: Alternative to cylinder porting?

Lol, normally so do I, however a certain someone's thread about AA hop up units prompted me to take my rifle apart again and rethink a few things....

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Yankee0 Find out more about Yankee0
      Working...
      X