New L1A1 from Ares..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New L1A1 from Ares..?

One of the issues is that the length of the plastic furnitured L1A1 was somewhat variable, depending on which stock pad was used; there were three, for use by people with different length arms!

From memory (it was a long time ago), the wood version was a tad shorter than the longer of the plastic versions.

Comment

Right, I've got the L1a1 now...

A few initial thoughts.
      • Length issue does indeed seems fixed now - the flash hider was indeed a separate screw on piece.
      • The take down lever is a bit of a pain as it is very easy to (accidentally) separate the upper and lower.
      • The selector lever is very loose - it goes back into safe after each shot...
      • FPS for my rifle was 425-430fps (on .2s)
      • The carry handle feels flimsy - and I don't particularly want to try and find out how squaddie proof the replica is...
      • It comes with a mid-cap magazine However, it does need a bit of lubing before using otherwise you'll get feeding issues.

Other than that, it shoots pretty straight on .2s and .3s. Unfortunately it was pretty windy so I was not able to do a proper range test.

Looks like it won't be a total waste of money after all...

Comment

Finally seen it with the wooden kit fitted, not bad at all, although I still think it's over priced.
        Saw it on YouTube here
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigzjQZ-dxg

Comment

I have the new L1A1 as well; it is fairly simple to lock the takedown lever; just take the stock off and tighten up the small allen screw in the back of the receiver block.

Mine was also very hot, but I took it down to 335fps; the range is pretty impressive, even with 0.2g BBs. My midcaps and hicaps all feed very well.

I obtained and fitted the full-auto selector as it did not come with either a matchstick or a cigarette packet.

Having watched the video linked in the post above, I am not that keen on the wood kit; I never saw an SLR with wood that nice!

Comment

That's true bout the wood colin I have to agree, and to be honest, I would much prefer the first pattern front fore-end, with the circular holes, but that's a personal thing I guess.

Comment

So the new one is just a re release of the old one ,identical even down to the serial numbers , but I have noticed they have altered the end of the barrel to stop the wonky flashier issue the old one had , may have to contact ares to buy the wood pistol grip to Finnish mine off.
              m14/l1a1/thompson/sten/sig552/kac pdw/svd/l85a2/mp40/m16vn/car15/type56/mac10/scorpion/m79/m1 carbine/m60vn/stoner63/vfc bar/xm177e2/grease gun/ar57/m1911/uzi/aksu/mp5 b&t/ppsh41/mpl/diy sog rpd/acm m500/galil/

Comment

Originally posted by Taff View Post
                Finally seen it with the wooden kit fitted, not bad at all, although I still think it's over priced.
                Saw it on YouTube here
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vigzjQZ-dxg
                Just watched the video
                image.jpg

Comment

Opening the box was like stepping back 35 years.

The only negative point for me, and it is only a tiny one, is that the hop has a massive impact on the FPS; mine goes from about 370 with no hop to 290 with full hop and sits nicely at about 335 FPS.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
                    Opening the box was like stepping back 35 years.

The only negative point for me, and it is only a tiny one, is that the hop has a massive impact on the FPS; mine goes from about 370 with no hop to 290 with full hop and sits nicely at about 335 FPS.
                    That's a hell of change in FPS range colin, although if it sits at 335, all well and done. That's a downside side to the Ares as was the same with the KA version, the fact they were hot out of the box, hence a spring change, the Ares seems easier to strip than the KA, although I can't comment on the quality side, as I am yet to see one of the Ares models. Although looking at the YT video, they seem to have the same problem with the selector switch, as I did at least with the KA.
                    But damn it, I still like the look of the wood kit tho....

Comment

It isn't bad to strip, especially as the gearbox has a quick change spring. One oddity is that the motor connectors do not fit through the holes in the pistol grip (obviously they were attached after the pistol grip had been fitted), so the holes need to be enlarged somewhat.

I was slightly surprised at the FPS variation!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Taff Find out more about Taff
                      Working...
                      X