Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Glocks with steel slides, do they really work?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glocks with steel slides, do they really work?

Having got my grubby mitts on a Guarder-upgraded TM Glock 17 (not much left of the TM other than the mags) and having become an expert overnight (lol) I'm wondering if it's possible to run a steel slide on one of these without breaking it a lot sooner than later (currently on an aluminium Guarder slide with steel barrel). On propane/green-gas it manages to cycle reasonably reliably but the hammer-spring (150%) is clearly its main sticking point. It's doing 325fps so I guess everything is tight and I'm getting full power (hi-flow valves are fitted in the mags and a ported piston-head in the gubbins). Co2 would definitely power a steel slide but I'm guessing the front post would fail very fast, even with the expoxy mod (I've filled in the cavity behind the post, it's a Guarder frame). I swapped the bearing hammer-wheel back to the stock non-bearing one, it has a lower profile (the bearing one is like a bloody cartwheel) but is still a tad proud when fully cocked down. The BBU's nub has been reduced a fair amount too. I'm aware there's a non-wheel type that goes fully flush...anybody got experience of one of these (vis-à-vis alu vs steel slides)?

I guess a steel slide isn't absolutely necessary but it would make the pistol more robust in terms of typical combat abuse (dropping it and whacking it off branches etc). Plus they can be weathered to greater aesthetic effect (tart syndrome ).

Anyway, any experience gratefully received.

Oh...the bloody extracter gizmo, it attaches to nothing in the Guarder slide, seems to rely on friction to stay in place. Except it doesn't, it eventually flies out, usually into the chamber. I'm thinking of drilling a hole through the slide into the extractor so I can pin it with an M1.6 grub-screw but if anyone has a less extreme solution please tell.

TIA guys.

Re: Glocks with steel slides, do they really work?

A steel slide would really just slow things down even more. I'm fairly sure they are heavier and while they look nicer, slide weight is never a positive thing for pistols.

With regards to reliability of your Guarder frame isn't one with the metal threaded sight posts, just got fora newer one that does.

With regard to springs, what strength recoil Spring are you running? Really all you need this for is returning the slide, it doesn't increase felt recoil. That's the hammer Spring fighting against going down that gives you the recoil feeling. If you can get it to return reasonably with a 120% Spring, use that. You'll see a big increase in performance.

Sounds like the slide is broken or damaged somewhere if the extractor keeps coming out. Could be the extractor broken also as it should be held in place with the BBU.

Comment

Thanks Boo.

I'm not talking about the sight-posts, it's the post inside the lower front frame that holds the forward chassis in the frame. These are prone to break down eventually on stock TM Glocks. The Guarder one is a threaded brass insert in a stronger plastic housing but even they will eventually break if too much weight (slide) and power is put through the pistol.

I have a 150% recoil-spring in the pistol. With the pistol cocked the action is very smooth (I spent a lot of time fine-sanding stuff), it's the hammer-spring that causes the most resistance. No friction, it's pure spring-resistance and no way around it. If you want enough spring-power to open the mag-valve (especially in this heat) you have to have that spring. Kind of becomes a trade-off between more powerful spring requires more power that then requires more powerful spring...lol.

The extractor gizmo is steel and definitely not broken or missing anything, ditto the slide. All the parts came to me brand-new so even the finish wasn't worn anywhere. A broken bit (bright ali wound) would stand out like a sore thumb. There's nada. Also there is nowhere on the BBU (stock one or upgraded one) that would be a fitting to hold it. It really does look like friction is intended to hold it, crazy as that sounds.

Stock plastic slide, 35g.
      Guarder alu slide, 65g.
      Guarder steel slide, around 220g.

The point being, given the current performance, I don't see how propane would be able to reliably cycle a steel slide.

Comment

It probably wouldn't cycle it effectively at all! You're probably talking less than half a mag of shots!

If you want a nicer slide perhaps a PGC one is an option?

Sounds like it's probably just a case of poor manufacturing on the extractor then. I've only had a couple of Guarder slides ever but not had this problem.

Comment

I've read that the older Guarder slides had the extractor as an included detail, not a separate part. It seems that everyone was full of joy when they started having them separate but god knows why, when it's in place you can't tell the difference and they fall out. So I'm guessing yours are a moulded detail, not a part.

Comment

Mapp gas would be your next step up in gas strength. Which is around 20 psi higher than propane at the same temperature. In terms of hammer spring as long as it's allowing the valve lock to engage and hence blowback work properly then leave as is or even reduce to a softer spring. Hammer spring only becomes a problem when hammer is too weak to push the valve knocker far enough forward for the valve lock to engage.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Comment

Mapp gas is the yellow bottled stuff in b&q next to propane. It's chemical name is propene

Comment

I think anything stronger than propane would compromise structural integrity ("She cannae take it captain!"). I have experimented with various combinations of gas, recoil-spring, hammer-spring and mag-valves when I was trying to get the gun working (six hours of intense ranting), only to finally discover (the last thing I delved into after trying everything else) that the previous owner had been trying to run the gun with no o-ring on the piston (gun wouldn't fully cycle and vented the entire mag every time). The gun was honestly sold to me I should add, I was fully informed.

Nobody seems to mention anywhere that propane won't make the nut for a steel slide, hence me asking here. Thanks to all you guys' input a steel slide is no longer on the menu and the shootah's current performance is pretty awesome anyway.

Comment

Man no oring on the piston lol.. not something you would expect at all. I bet after 6 hours of trying everything else you were like WTF !

Comment

I was "WTF!" and "Why didn't I look at the easy bits first!"

That's not to say there weren't issues elsewhere. The upgraded ('upgraded') wheel was a POS. Yes, super-slippy bearings but a profile about 1mm higher. Just why? And the Guarder steel trigger bar needed a lot of smoothing off, it was causing serious friction.

Comment

Oh boy, the simplest ideas are so often the best. This thing is revolutionary:

http://www.gunsmodify.com/product/detail-id-53.html

http://www.gunsmodify.com/news/detail-id-55.html

Removes the need for a strong recoil-spring entirely. All the gas energy needed to overcome that can now go towards the weight of a steel slide. Won't need a crazy-power hammer-spring anymore either.

Zero One, please get some of these in stock right sharpish.

Comment

I'm happy to report that the Guns Modify Zero Housing is indeed a thing of wonder, there is zero anything resisting the slide coming forward after cocking.

Comment

Might have to try one of these then

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Siggi Find out more about Siggi
                          Working...
                          X