Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive shooting gallery

Hey guys and gals,

I've been tinkering with some arduino programming and using some online examples I have a working prototype airsoft shooting gallery. It works by having a sensor and LED attached to 4 metal pellet catching targets, the vibrations caused by the hit register it with the game and the LED is used to highlight which target is selected.

I have nearly finished 4 game types:

Gunslinger - Holstered weapon start, 1 target will be selected at random with a delay of 2-8 seconds (random as well) to keep you guessing fastest time wins
    Rapid fire - 30 targets are selected one at a time when one is hit the next pops up fastest time to complete all 30
    Chaos - 5 10 second rounds of targets random selection of 2-6 multiple targets highlighted at same time
    Knock down - All targets illuminate shoot them all and they will reset, just like the reset-able knockdown targets you can buy.

The information is displayed on a small backlit LCD display and can be powered from USB, AC adaptor 9-12v, or a 9v battery.

Additional targets can be added up to a maximum of 8 i think (will have to check the outputs/inputs available)

The targets are designed for my air rifle so they should take anything an airsoft gun can throw at them. I have been using it in my garage/man cave with a pistol but there is no reason you couldn't set up outside in the garden. The targets are on cables with screw in plugs to the control unit so it can be folded down and stored. If I did some more I'd put an extension cable in so the control box can be 15 meters away from the targets. I have also thought about controlling it with an app on your phone with wireless sensors for the targets to make it wire free, however that would cost a bomb and batteries would be needed for each component 5 9v batteries in all rather than 1.

I will grab some pictures when the enclosures turn up so it doesn't look like a rats nest of wires! my questions for you lot are:-
    Can you think of any other game types that might be worth putting in (i'm new to coding so some things I'm not able to do just yet but I am improving)

If I produced a few of these set ups would anyone be interested in one? they would sell for around £150 including everything plus a pack of paper targets for the holders, this is just to see what sort of interest there is I have a few weeks off work coming up where I could produce some. Shipping would be included but that would be the minimum price I could sell at off the top of my head as the materials are just shy of £100 and they are all soldered by hand!

Re: Interactive shooting gallery

sounds cool. Get some pics up! As for game types, you could do a "Hostage/Terrorist" one where two pop up.You would have to shoot within a defined time, and you loose if you hit the wrong one. Be good for CQB training. The amount of people who walk around the corner and light up their team mate is unbelievable

Comment

I have tried 1 of these things at a bad place to buy airsoft rif's where they use brummy accents. The electronic shooting range was awesome thou I must say.
      If this can truly be used in a garage then it sounds great to me and I would be interested.
      If you can have random scenario's, walking thru a village or underground bunker or as such with bad guys popping out here n there, with or without hostages, this I would buy.
      Pictures and Video's would be great.
      sigpic" Only the living cry for war's end, the dead are quite relaxed about it "

Comment

I've been thinking something similar that is just out of my reach coding wise at the moment, but each target would have 2 LEDs one red and one green these would indicate friend (green) and enemy (red) for a hostage type game. It would work like the knock down mode but the targets would display 1 of the 2 colors timed to clear all the reds with a penalty for greens

- - - Updated - - -

Once setup the targets wouldn't move as such but you would not shoot in the same order either. Once we start talking about servos moving targets to pop out the price rockets very quickly, although this is possible I think it would be unpractical for a portable setup.

- - - Updated - - -

I will get some photos and a video of the prototype working hopefully tonight if I get back from work at a decent time.

Comment

OK i have a few photos and videos for you to have a look at. I must reiterate that this is a prototype board out of an enclosure, but there has been some interest so here you go.
          https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...nM?usp=sharing
          There are pictures of the targets before and after testing (I know the shooting is terrible before you all chime in), the current board in full rats nest form, and some vids showing the UI for the start of rapid fire and an example of how the target "see" hits. I did tap it with a screw driver yes, as I felt shooting it point blank with a pone in the other hand was only going to produce unwanted results.

You don't have to have those targets mind the sensor will work on most hard surfaces so you could convert existing ones

Comment

Update: I have all the remaining parts to finish the prototype and carry out some alpha testing for the code and build durability. I have made a few changes to the overall set up after some input from this forum including
            - Added a footswitch for the START button to avoid the mad scramble to the start point before the game starts
            - Audio reminders for game start and stop
            - Delay now visualised on screen as countdowns so you can tell when game starts
            - Results now stay on screen for 10 seconds allowing easier viewing
            - 3 games now finished just working on chaos at the moment
            - Fully water proof enclosure for outside use
            - Control unit, Targets, Target junction box all individual with extension cables to allow easy storage and loads of set up options
            - Added a target junction box to the set up to prevent trailing 4 wires the length of the setup
            - Finished tweaking the sensitivity with a hit to record percentage of 98% over 200 rounds at 10 meters
            - Will have some completed videos of the whole thing late next week

Comment

I found the company I referred to before, " Arcada ". Although at around £12000 to buy, it might be worthwhile seeing what I meant.
              On your video's I wasn't quite sure how it all interacted, maybe it's just me. Looking forward to you showing the whole thing in action soon.
              sigpic" Only the living cry for war's end, the dead are quite relaxed about it "

Comment

I've been making solid progress and did take a few videos but I'm not going to bother uploading them as it should be complete tomorrow. I'll take a decent video of each round type the screen out puts and the completed installation.

For anyone who is interested in the development of this type of project here are some pictures of the prototypes. The sensor units have changed a bit they are now in waterproof enclosures, connect to the main board through a screw on 4 pin plug and can attach to any ferrous metal target with the neo magnets.

LINK

I have also just finished an airsoft prop bomb project if anyone is interested.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Chewybacka View Post
                I found the company I referred to before, " Arcada ". Although at around £12000 to buy, it might be worthwhile seeing what I meant.
                On your video's I wasn't quite sure how it all interacted, maybe it's just me. Looking forward to you showing the whole thing in action soon.
                I think I know what your talking about, is it one of the video galleries where it is almost like a computer game? This project won't be anywhere near that simply some fixed targets with a light on that record your hits. I should have the video uploaded soon for you to have a look.

Comment

Uploading videos to youtube now will post a link when its done

Comment

https://youtu.be/btKvH9a1zUs

Comment

Update:
                      VER 1.2

Didn't like looking at the small screen white starting a timed game mode so, I
                      - added a 32x64 rgb lcd matrix for display
                      - switch is now a foot pedal
                      - game graphics and count down timers added
                      - support for up to 12 targets
                      - steel plates added to sensor boxes to stop them being smashed apart

still working on more game modes and adding a selector switch for selecting amount of rounds from 5,10 and 15
                      need to fabricate a weather proof case for matrix
                      work started and parts ordered to make all this wireless (targets may be placed within 100m line of sight 10-40m between walls)

Uploading new videos of each completed game type now

Comment

This looks brilliant. Great idea top work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Using Tapatalk

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__hX3kzG7IQ

Comment

Looks like a great system! I started on something with arduino' for turning targets (rimfire) an xbee radios but then had kids!

This looks great, how are plans for production?

Comment

I will be making 5-10 units depending on demand, once the wireless connectivity is all done. it will take me 6-8 weeks to make them all, However the price mentioned in the first post of £150 has long since gone. What I can do is make an options list eg. LCD screen/dot matrix/touchscreen, foot pedal,start button ..... so the cost for a basic unit will be somewhere near that. It's been slow going over the last few weeks with work, but I have managed to finalize some small bits the whole unit now runs of the mains so there is no need for batteries (there is an option to run off batteries), I've gone for a smaller screen size, and the rotary switch for game selection is all done.

The controls you see in the video are ON/OFF, Reset, game selection, Start (foot pedal). Before you all start yes I am aware that there are empty beer cans all over the floor. It's a man cave, perfectly normal.

LINK

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Alunduk Find out more about Alunduk
                              Working...
                              X