Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New ares l1a1

Hi guys,

Bought myself a new L1a1 last week. I don't know if this has already been done to death and iv already looked through a whole load of similar posts but all they do is confuse me with techno babble...

So question is:
    What does everybody recommend in terms of upgrades? It's totally stock at the moment and shooting at 365fps with .2g pellets. I used the gun last Sunday at ****** ***** and loved it but was overall pretty underwhelmed with its performance. I'm not into pulling the whole thing apart and replacing everything, I just want to be able to out reach most normal 350fps aeg''s. I'm thinking a better quality barrel and a new spring for increased fps to start but does anyone have any recommendations to which bits? Links would be helpful also. Also, was using also 7.4v lipo battery and it kept locking up? Tried an 11.1v lipo and it seemed to cure the problem, what's up with that?
    Many thanks in advance

Re: New ares l1a1

If you want to run it as a DMR, you need to push the FPS up to somewhere near the limit for your site, probably stick in a high quality tight bore barrel, definitely upgrade the hop to at least a flat hop and ideally an R-hop, and start using heavier BBs.

What capacity 7.4v battery were you using? I run mine on a 2600mAh 7.4v with no problems at all.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
      If you want to run it as a DMR, you need to push the FPS up to somewhere near the limit for your site, probably stick in a high quality tight bore barrel and definitely upgrade the hop to at least a flat hop and, ideally an R-hop.

What capacity 7.4v battery were you using? I run mine on a 2600mAh 7.4v with no problems at all.
      OK, what brand and diameter barrel would you recommend? I have a 6.03 mad bull in my l85 that works quite well but seeing as this is for something a bit more specific than just a run and gun aeg I'm assuming there's better quality barrels for sale?

Any chance you could sort me out with a link for a flat hop suitable for the l1a1? Ill be honest I know a grand total of nothing when it come's to airsoft guns, I've only been playing a year and so far the only upgrade iv ever done was the barrel on the l85. My 7.4v lipo is a 2200mah. It usually locks the gun up when pulling the trigger quickly but using the 11.1v I had no issues all day.

Also with regards to upping my fps (400fps is my local sights limit for single shot aeg) this is achieved by replacing the spring I assume? Like the hop up, could you send me a link to one that would be suitable for the l1a1? I assume springs come in all lengths and sizes for different guns?
      Cheers

Comment

Ok, given that the L1A1 is an absolute sod to take apart, I would strongly recommend that you get a reliable tech to do it for you.

With regard to barrels, the Madbull Python version II 6.03mm barrels are ok, but you would be better going for a Prometheus 6.03mm as they are much more consistent internally.

The Prometheus flat hops are about the best available but, failing that, go for the Modify ones; the Prometheus ones can be a bit awkward to fit in some barrels.

A spring; well, an M120 (or possibly an M110) should do the trick in the L1A1. AEG springs vary quite a lot, but I like the ASG ones, although any AEG spring will do.

We can only link to Zero One on here but Google is your friend.

Comment

Ok, given that the L1A1 is an absolute sod to take apart, I would strongly recommend that you get a reliable tech to do it for you.

With regard to barrels, the Madbull Python version II 6.03mm barrels are ok, but you would be better going for a Prometheus 6.03mm as they are much more consistent internally.

The Prometheus flat hops are about the best available but, failing that, go for the Modify ones; the Prometheus ones can be a bit awkward to fit in some barrels.

A spring; well, an M120 (or possibly an M110) should do the trick in the L1A1. AEG springs vary quite a lot, but I like the ASG ones, although any AEG spring will do.

We can only link to Zero One on here but Google is your friend.
          Much appreciated, the guys at the ****** ***** shop would probably be better off doing the work then!

I'll start doing some googling then

Comment

agree with all the replies..
            Just to add some more, if you are going with an internal upgrade like cylinder and piston, tbb etc and heavier bb's and aiming for 400+ fps (2.5 and upwards bb's), then get a harder compound hop rubber, I have a Prometheus 70 (purple) in one of my DMR's with a standard guarder hop bucking and it worked wonders for my DMR in terms of range and accuracy (I am hoping to get around to doing a R or flat hop in the near future).

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Mc View Post
              agree with all the replies..
              Just to add some more, if you are going with an internal upgrade like cylinder and piston, tbb etc and heavier bb's and aiming for 400+ fps (2.5 and upwards bb's), then get a harder compound hop rubber, I have a Prometheus 70 (purple) in one of my DMR's with a standard guarder hop bucking and it worked wonders for my DMR in terms of range and accuracy (I am hoping to get around to doing a R or flat hop in the near future).
              Nice one, I'm not looking to go mad at the moment, little steps at a time and hopefully learn something along the way! Just been looking at prometheus flat hop's, is it a case of just buying the nub and putting it in place of the old one? As for the bucking (I'm assuming thats the rubber condom thing that goes over the barrel?) You recommend a standard guarder one? No modifying or fiddling required, just a straight up put it on job?

Comment

Prometheus flat hops require both the hop rubber and the nub; the hop rubber, which is the bucking or "rubber condom thing", is different from a standard one in that it does not have an internal mound. You cannot use the flat hop nub with a standard bucking.

Comment

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                  Nice one, I'm not looking to go mad at the moment, little steps at a time and hopefully learn something along the way! Just been looking at prometheus flat hop's, is it a case of just buying the nub and putting it in place of the old one? As for the bucking (I'm assuming thats the rubber condom thing that goes over the barrel?) You recommend a standard guarder one? No modifying or fiddling required, just a straight up put it on job?
                  Sorry I used the wrong terminology there, but yes bucking is the 'condom' that fits over the inner barrel, nub - is the rubber that interacts between the hop unit and bucking to create 'hop' on the bb
                  and yes for the most part the nubs are just a case of take the old one out and put the new one in, with a flat nub I think there is a bit more involved, so best to google it, I tried a flat hop once and was very unsuccessful with it, but I will try it again
                  I was recommended the Prometheus 70 and a standard guarder nub by someone, thought it sounded a bit odd, as the rubber was softer and standard setup. but I tried it and was amazed by the results.

Comment

I can see how having a harder nub would improve range and accuracy with heavy BBs; however, I suspect that your Guarder bucking will wear out fairly quickly.

Comment

Truhop by trusight airsoft can go up to 600 fps is very soft with a very hard nub, the rubber however is a special compound that apparently is warranted against wear
                      VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                      trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Originally posted by Andy Mc View Post
                        Sorry I used the wrong terminology there, but yes bucking is the 'condom' that fits over the inner barrel, nub - is the rubber that interacts between the hop unit and bucking to create 'hop' on the bb
                        and yes for the most part the nubs are just a case of take the old one out and put the new one in, with a flat nub I think there is a bit more involved, so best to google it, I tried a flat hop once and was very unsuccessful with it, but I will try it again
                        I was recommended the Prometheus 70 and a standard guarder nub by someone, thought it sounded a bit odd, as the rubber was softer and standard setup. but I tried it and was amazed by the results.
                        OK nice one, I'll try a couple of different set ups and see how they go thanks for all the feedback guys!

Comment

I can see how having a harder nub would improve range and accuracy with heavy BBs; however, I suspect that your Guarder bucking will wear out fairly quickly.
                          the bucking is Prometheus so is harder, the nub is the guarder which is softer. anyway, I've done about 10 000 rounds through it, most of them tuning it in, and 1 skirmish using full auto with a detuned spring to make it site safe at 350, all the other times it has been running at 420fps in semi auto, It has as yet not dropped in fps, range or accuracy, only problem I had was feeding issues about 2hrs before the end of a milsim, but that was a gearbox to hop chamber problem which was fixed with some tape but thanks for the idea anyway, I was planning on taking it apart to check for wear.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by lambo View Post
                          OK nice one, I'll try a couple of different set ups and see how they go thanks for all the feedback guys!
                          best thing to do tbh! with my DMR, I tried about three different bucking and nub setups, until I found the promy bucking that was spot on, so enjoy the experience and hopefully learn a lot, I know I am!

Comment

So then guys, after a bit of looking around iv decided to start with the prometheus flat hop nub and prometheus straight bucking. The nubs come in a pair, soft and hard, I'm assuming for a dmr style I need to use the hard one? Also the straight bucking comes in blue (soft) and black (extra soft) what are your thoughts on which bucking? I'll go ahead arena get a prometheus 6.03 barrel as well, just can't find anywhere that states the original inner barrel length so I can get a similar length. Iv seen a prometheus barrel at 550mm which sounds about right unless you guys think a different length would be more suitable? I'll go for an m120 spring as well. Seen one on a certain well known auction website for 10.99. It's auction "ultimate asg" spring

Thanks again

Comment

For a DMR using heavier BBs, first of all go with the hard nub and the blue bucking. However, be prepared to experiment and you may well have to trim the nub somewhat.

I have never measured the inner barrel but I believe that it is around 550mm so the Prometheus barrel should be good to go.

ASG Ultimate springs are my favourites.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

lambo Find out more about lambo
                              Working...
                              X