VSR Upgrade - Grinding noise on bolt pull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• VSR Upgrade - Grinding noise on bolt pull

So I finally got all the parts to upgrade my VSR G-Spec and proceeded to do so over the weekend.

Action Army barrel and hop unit.
    Action Army M150 spring
    VSR Barrel Spacers
    Maple leaf bucking
    Airsoft Pro UK Sniper One 90Deg trigger
    Cylinder and cylinder head
    Uprated spring guide
    90 Deg piston

So after installing everything and put the rifle back together, I pulled the handle back and firstly noticed it was quite a tight pull back. I understand this is probably due to the much stiffer spring.

The one thing I cant pin down is the almost scratching noise when putting the handle back.
    Sounds almost metal to medal scratching.
    Could this be the cylinder scratching on the inside of the rifle?
    I took the cylinder assembly back out, coated in some silicone oil to remove any friction, but still have the same issue.
    Do I just need to cock the rifle a few times and get everything bedded in?

Any advice how to resolve?

Also will a Teflon coated cylinder make the pull much easier?

Thanks

Re: VSR Upgrade - Grinding noise on bolt pull

Could be the spring guide grinding the inside of the cylinder. Also check the spring guide stopper isnt to tight for the slot in the cylinder. Had both happen on mine in the past.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

Thanks.
      Had someone else suggest the spring guide stopper. How do you eliminate the noise if it is the spring guide stopper?

Comment

It may be a case of, where the stopper dimple locates into the rear of the spring guide, its holding it too high in the cylinder and grinding the inside. I sorted one of mine by shimming the stopper so it didnt go so far in. In another rifle the stopper was too wide for the slot so i had to gently file down the side so it would just fit without removing too much as to weaken it.

Comment

check that the little screw holding the outer barrel in place isn't screwed in to much. If it is it will be scraping the cylinder.
          The screw should be slack, it's only preventing the outer barrel from unscrewing
          Originally posted by Hawk
          The P word again! You should say your love for airsoft 3 times and a holy Tokio Marui

Comment

OK, so I took the VSR back apart, loosened the front fixing screw, but still a noise, not as bad, but still something.
            Once the cylinder is removed, I noticed the spring is not 100% straight, and is kinked, so will rub against the side, very possibly creating the noise.
            Checking with the original cylinder and spring guide, it is evident that the new spring guide is about 10mm shorter than the original. (Not sure how much of a difference this will make).

Is there a way to ensure the spring stays straight?

Also, there was a bit of wear on the sides of the spring guide stopper. So might get that filled down a little.

Also, what is best to lubricate the piston and inside of cylinder with?
            I used a spray silicone grease, which over night just ran out onto the stock, so much of the ouside of the rifle was greasy.

The bolt pull is quite stiff, but also stiff to push back forward, so not sure if I need more lubricant in the cylinder, or if something else will be causing the stiff push back?

Comment

The spring wont rub against the inside once it is compressed as it sits on the spring guide and cant move side to side so it wont be that causing the stiffness on the forward push. The spring is slightly kinked on my current rifle.

I used a tiny bit of silicone grease (non spray) on the parts that rub against each other. And silcone oil on the rubber o ring.

I had a lot of wear on the top of the inside of my cylinder where the stopper was gouging on the push forward. I sorted that shimming the spring guide stopper. After that it was smooth

Is your cylinder worn on the inside?

Comment

I will have a look, but it's a new cylinder so should be easy to see marks.
                When you shim, do you adjust so that the stopper sits higher?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I found through trial and error (and blundering) that by not pushing the stopper in all the way it got rid of the scraping on the forwards push. It was forcing the spring guide against the roof of the cylinder if you will.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Shaddow Find out more about Shaddow
                  Working...
                  X