Gear teeth and piston teeth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear teeth and piston teeth

cant seem to find a simple answer for this, perhaps there isnt one.

basically looking to upgrade my gears to 13:1 but unsure on what piston to go with it. i see pistons with 13, 14 and 15 teeth.

if i get a gear set of 13:1 do i need a piston with 13 teeth or will one with 15 teeth work just the same????

im going to be upgradeing the whole gearbox and i have all the other information i need for a.o.e and shimming ect but just cant find a solid answer for this

thanks in advance guys

Re: Gear teeth and piston teeth

The whole ratio thing (13:1) is 13 MOTOR TURNS to 1 PISTON CYCLE
    A standard AEG is like 18 to 22:1, hence a standard AEG has more torque but less speed (piston cycles versus motor turns)

I does not matter how many teeth are on the piston, keep it standard unless you want to SHORT CYCLE the gearbox aswell as making it HIGH SPEED.

If you reduce the amount of teeth on the piston you SHORT CYCLE the gearbox, this entails tappet plate and other supporting mods.

Naturally short cycling also increases ROF.

- - - Updated - - -

PS: Short cycling is a pita. A high speed gearset, motor and high voltage/discharge battery will give you plenty of ROF, just a high voltage/discharge battery with proper wiring to suit will give great ROF.

Comment

Thanks very much for the reply.

i had totally misunderstood the whole 13:1 and this has cleared it up for me. dunno why i had got it in my head that a 22:1 would have 22 teeth lol. and it was totally throwing me off.
      im just going for a higher speed gearbox, no short cycling anything like that. better trigger responce, better rof and quieter.

so going for new motor (high torque) new gears, new piston and few others. then doing aoe and shimming. but my first totally full rebuild. have done a few repairs of stripped pistons and stuff. but just replaced like for like not upgraded so wanted to make sure i got it right first time.

again thanks for the reply

happy pew pew pew

Comment

No prob, make sure to do all you air seal checks as you go along with the build, that makes things much quieter as well as improved pew pew!

Just to clarify its not technically motor turns to piston cycles, but is easiest to explain/understand that way :D

Comment

If you want a fast gun, use a light piston and head, something out of POM for the head and a piston with few metal teeth, polycarbonate and skeletonised
          VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
          trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

Short stroked and Swiss cheesed Laylax Hard piston. They are made in Japan, made from POM and have very good reinforcement on the initial pickup tooth. Aoe correction will be a little more fiddly, but once done it will last you a very long time indeed.

Avoid anything made from polycarbonate as it is simply not a suitable material for dynamic loading and will fail without warning.

Avoid anything made from aluminium.

Be sure to match your spring rate correctly to the intended stroke and rate of fire to avoid pre-engagement issues.

I would also recommend that you use a faucet washer for AoE correction, it's the traditional and most reliable method for AoE correction. Sorbothane has a higher failure rate, and if you are using a ported cylinder then that spacing also eats into usable cylinder volume (less potential muzzle energy).

I would also strongly recommend a mosfet for any high speed gun.
            dsgdreamteam

Comment

Yes I was meant to say nylon polymor,as polycarbonate is more brittle
              VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
              trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sineal89 Find out more about sineal89
              Working...
              X