Need advice on Flat Nubs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice on Flat Nubs

Hey guys I plan to flat hop my amoeba with a purple prommy bucking and a firefly Nemazu flat nub.

I wanted to ask which level i should go for? Hard or soft - and why?

I've done a little reading but it seems to vary.

I plan to keep my aeg on an average of 330 fps.

If anyone can provide the best place to get it from, it'd be much appreciated. Currently looking at Eagle6 which sells soft ones as clear nubs and hard ones as red (standard as black) - pictures from other websites all has them in red for every level of hardness. Dunno if this is due to it being the only picture they have, or if there are newer versions of the nub which are all red now or vice versa.
    Tia

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Need advice on Flat Nubs

The hardness of the nub is for the weight of the BB.
    Recommended BB weights:
    Soft - 0.2g
    Hard - 0.25g
    ​Super Hard - 0.28g
    Hope this helps you .

Comment

Best results I've had with flat nubs is using one cut from an eraser. It does mean filing your hop arm flat but for me they have been more consistent than the type designed to locate on a standard arm. If you get one of the erasers that has a pink pencil end and the much harder blue end then it'll keep you in nubs for a while! Pink soft end for up to about 0.3g and the blue stuff for anything heavier, although try both as with a softer bucking you may get better results with a harder nub regardless of the BB weight.

Comment

Thanks for the help, I've heard it can be dependent on the weight, but I've also heard that you choose according to the weather?

I plan to use .025s but I also live in England and it's currently winter, so should I be going for the soft for now, then buy hard later too?

Comment

The variation in the properties of the material between 0 degrees and 25 degrees are minimal and if you ever notice a difference then a tiny adjustment to the hop will sort you out. It will be more sensitive to hop adjustment with the harder nub but a bit more consistent, although I'd bet a nominal amount that you'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between them at the sort of hop levels required to lift 0.25g BBs.

Comment

Ah so you would recommend a hard nub?

Comment

I'm a tight arsed tinkerer, so I'd recommend the eraser and an afternoon of experimenting! I've tried a few different combinations and to be honest at AEG ranges and BB weights you really are hard pressed to see the differences. It's not until you're trying to get the most out of 500fps and 0.4g BBs in a sniper that it really matters. As a personal preference I prefer a soft bucking with a hard nub as it seems to give consistent performance with low hop pressures. What makes more difference is shimming the hop arm so the nub is always in the same place and using decent ammo.

Comment

Ah I see, brilliant thanks man, I'll be trying the hard for now, but will be experimenting as you suggested as well

Comment

Variance on nub hardness can give negligible gains with a standard hop configuration, however if you are opting for flat hop, then you really want to be using something that holds its shape well.

It's worth noting that softer hop buckings (such as the promy Purple) typically provide better muzzle energy efficiency (in addition to the extended contact of fla) as they require a less aggressive hop setting to achieve the same hop effect.
                  dsgdreamteam

Comment

I only notice when using .28 and greater

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

KyleRO Find out more about KyleRO
                    Working...
                    X