threaded grub screw advice needed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• threaded grub screw advice needed.

If a grub screw going through plastic pulls the thread out is there any options other than replace the part?
    Fitting a larger screw would be my first idea but the there isn't much space.

Re: threaded grub screw advice needed.

There are thread repair kits out there but mostly they are meant for metal. Would need more details to be more specific help!

Comment

Put some epoxy resin around the screw and insert it. Leave for 24hrs and it should be fine. You can pic it up a poundland.
      If that don't work yes, try a larger screw but never over tighten.
      Over 150 positive sales & trades on this and other forums!

Comment

It depends on the type of plastic. If it's a thermoplastic ie you can heat it and deform it, then one option is to carefully squish the area when it's hot to close the diameter of the hole then run the appropriate thread tap through it. Post a pic and maybe we can think of another bodge.

Comment

Cheers guys. The plastic isn't a thermo plastic so I'm looking for a filler job. I've done a temporary job using ptfe. I'm going to try and find a longer bolt with the same thread and to use and form so I don't bury the grub screw.

The thread in question is the one in the top of the outer barrel of my mp9. The grub screw winds down the plastic thread and on to the top of the inner barrel.

Comment

I'd seriously consider pressing a threaded brass insert into a drilled out hole. They're pennies each. Easy, guaranteed fix.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

concretesnail Find out more about concretesnail
            Working...
            X