Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

G&P MK18 - Reviews? + What do I need to replace/upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&P MK18 - Reviews? + What do I need to replace/upgrade?

Right so you I'm looking to buy a G&P mk18 and may have just found myself a great deal here in the forums. After hearing about their hit or miss internals, I wasn't really willing to pay £300+ for a new one.

So far I've learnt that:
    - Internals are weak - I hear pistons particularly have been known to be quick to break in these guns.
    - Specific motor wiring - G&P motors are screwed in, so other market motors aren't compatible.
    - No Mosfet - So its not Lipo ready?

What I'd like to know:
    - If anyone has owned one, if you get the chance, I'd highly appreciate a review and the work you've done to yours.
    - What internals do I need to change? I want to know what I need to prioritise and what I can keep stock.
    - High torque motor set up- I prefer trigger response over rate of fire. I therefore want to put in an SHS or Lonex high torque motor in it. What parts do I need to upgrade/change to be able to run a high torque motor? Do I need different gears? (specificity would be appreciated).
    - Should I buy a G&P high torque (which apparantly are over priced for what they are) OR re-wire the motor wires? (I wouldn't know how so it'll be sent to techs too).
    - Lipo - I plan to install a mosfet in it later down the line, but is there any other way to make this lipo ready if it already isn't? How much is it to get a tech to install one?

Essentially I want to upgrade this to a good trigger response rifle that can run 7.4 lipos MINIMUM, preferably 11.1s. I would also later like to convert this into a farther reaching rifle if possible.

I'd really like people's opinions and suggestions on what parts to buy, replace, upgrade etc, and if anyone can direct me to a tech who can install or teach me how to change the motor wiring and install a mosfet, please do. Otherwise I'll probably ship it off to ZeroOne techs.

I know it sounds like theres a lot of probles with it, but hey the offer I got is pretty good and is around £170 so I think stock wise, it may already be worth it. Just looking to the future ahead.

Re: G&P MK18 - Reviews? + What do I need to replace/upgrade?

First question is how old is the gun ?

What you want to know ,
    Owned a lot and repaired 100's - great gun but with a used gun you will not know whats been done with it or how many rnds its fired in its life time ( some of these guns can be 10 years old and still look very clean )

Internals - Weak area's like most aegs are " cut off lever , switch block , bearings , gear axles and pistons ... " cut off levers are made of cheese and the switch block does wear out fast , they had a stage of spur gear axles snapping and bearings letting go ( never had it on my own guns )

Motor - I would go G&P if you can get one used, got one given to me years ago swapped out the pinion gear and its been used in all of my guns since , if your at a cqb site stay clear of lonex and semi only kills them fast , SHS/nuprol are a tested and trusted motor ( new model )

keep your gears till they break , the G&P box is a doddle to work on ( get a used unit to strip and build till your happy to tackle your own )

save your cash and use it till it breaks and then just hit it with an upgrade package at once/if it does start playing up
    Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

Brilliant mate thanks, I'm just worried that I'll be disappointed after I've been using a mosfet gun with ht motor.

I'd like to run this on a 7.4 lipo from stock ( is that safe for the guns internals?) and maybe throw in a mosfet as the first upgrade (assuming nothing breaks for now). I'll keep my eye out for a G&P motor for sale.

The person selling me it is advertising it as unused and unskirmished so it'll depend on him I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

If the gun is new just get its FPS sorted if its not been done ( UK spec guns are 300fps and asia can be 400+ , happy fps will be 340-50 to stop you shredding the piston ) , It will feel a little slower than a fetted gun but I never run fets on my guns as its just another thing to break :P

It will be happy on a 7.4 just have fun with it .
        Please do not advertise on this forum

Comment

Glad to hear I can run it on a lipo stock. I like fets too much not to get them for this 😄but do you reckon I still keep the G&P stock gears even after installing a ht motor?

Comment

Hi bud, just trauling through the forums and seen this post. The experience I've had with G&P M4 platforms has been pretty good all round tbh.

The Mk18 uses the G&P V2 gearbox and in recent years they all come with "high speed" set-ups. I've run a 7.4 stock LiPo for a couple of years and the ROF has been consistently awesome.

The gears are high quality too & will easily withstand the use of a 7.4 LiPo- never had any issues with mine. The gears should be fine!!

Hope this helps

Comment

Thank you for your help bud!
              I've actually bought one.
              I've upgraded the pistons to a SHS one and re wired the motor to spades, currently being ran with SHS High Torque more and an Extreme Fire Mosfet.

It's been to a woodland skirmish and a cqb one and it's going strong! With an 11.1 lipo in teaching 20rps if not higher RoF and great trigger response.

I'll be r-hopping it soon enough.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

KyleRO Find out more about KyleRO
              Working...
              X