Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which motor to buy - ASG Infinity CNC or SHS High Torque

Hi everyone,

I'm currently in a bit of a predicament.

My current setup has recently recovered from an ASCU death and rebirth under warranty. It was running SHS 13:1 Gears, SHS Hi-Torque Neo Magnet motor, ASCU V2 Gen4, M120 spring and Prommy Ported Piston etc.

So, my motor is kicking out some major black carbon inside the pistol grip on a regular basis and I think the brushes are on their way out.

I've been recommended the ASG Infinity U22000 and U30000, but I also love my SHS motor.

Should I replace my motor with one of the CNC'd ASG motors for their amazing magnets and high torque/Speed, or should I get a new SHS high torque motor with decent speed and torque?

Happy to give any more info if you need it.

It's got 1 tooth filed from the sector gear which fixed AOE

Re: Which motor to buy - ASG Infinity CNC or SHS High Torque

Your SHS HT motor is almost identical in spec to the ASG 30000. The ASG may pull very slightly ahead in terms of torque thicker silver brushes which will aid current delivery, and will sound more refined due to the drill balanced armature, but as a whole you are not likely to notice the difference.

The ASG 22 is a nice motor, and finally incorporates the updated can design that I put forward in 2015 which will help enhance thermal stability compared to the old design. That can design would be more beneficial with the faster motors as they typically build heat quicker - particularly on semi auto. They are at present, only available with the 22k offering.

The ASG22k will also draw significantly less current than the SHS HT, so you will see much better run time and less heat (providing the motor isn't over loaded), the only drawback is that the peak RPM is lower and you will see this in real world results with full auto, and if the battery voltage is low then it may also affect semi auto response too. The 22k motor is however, better at running stable with a higher voltage. SO you can simply increase the voltage to offset the loss of RPM.

The overall quality of the motor is also vastly superior to SHS, but as said, if it's just performance for the money that you are looking for then the SHS will still be the winner. If its simply the brushes wearing low, then thats something thats easily (and cheaply) remedied. Carbon dust build up in the grip is going to happen, this is normal - how much will depend on the setup, battery and also the motor parts them selves.
    On changing out the brushes, I would also suggest taking at look at the condition of the comm too, as they can also show signs of wear/mis-shape if worn heavily and of if overloaded - if this is the case you can either replace the armature, or trim it true with a small lathe.

Also, what battery and main spring are you running? And with one tooth removed from the secotr gear, that would effectively be short stroking. Are there any modifications done to correct AoE?
    dsgdreamteam

Comment

Thanks so much for the detailed response.

I think I am definitely leaning more towards the 22k for the lower power drain, and extra torque for snappier single shot (no-one really needs 30+ rps). The extra build quality and longevity of the CNC design is what's appealing to me over the build of the SHS.

I'm currently using a 1300Mah 11.1v lipo to work with the ASCU2 Gen4 in it; and the spring is currently an M120 which has jumped from 330 to 400fps (I think with the better air seal from the sector gear tooth removal) so it will be going back to an M100 or M110 and coming off Semi-only. It was on an M100, but was double feeding on 11.1v, but couldn't change that as that's the recommended battery for the ASCU.

Think i'm gnna have to tinker with the battery, spring, motor and hop chamber shimming to get the right mix of 350fps, not double feeding and reliability.

Thanks once again

Comment

The ZCI 22 high torque motor is a really nice if you don't need silly rpm as well, I think I go as far as to say its ZCI's best made product.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Bennyboy1993 Find out more about Bennyboy1993
        Working...
        X