Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: HPA and GBB limits law changes

Default Re: HPA and GBB limits law changes

I wouldn't like to put money on that. What's on the statute book can, and will, be used. Just ask those who collect blades as to how far Border Force will go to prove that a simple folding knife that someone is trying to import is a "gravity knife", just so they can gleefully tell them that they're confiscating it...

Royal assent was granted today so the bill is now law.

Shouldn't a government introducing new laws (which they are fully aware will impact those who are they are currently governing) release some guidelines which are simple to follow, and ensure that you don't end up in the showers with Dwayne Pipe? That way if you did end up outside the terms of these new laws, but had sufficient evidence to prove that you attempted to comply and follow the guidelines, Dwayne has to find someone else to drop the soap?

Surely they have given guidelines. If you own a GBBR or HPA full auto capable, at time of manufacture, rifle, SMG, PDW that is capable of exceeding 1.3J it is now illegal. Whether you have to hand it in to the Police or whether you are allowed to have it professionally downgraded is not clear, although I'm sure it will become clear very soon. Whether you agree with the ruling or have an "argument" against it is pointless. It is now law, get caught with one in your possession will lead to a charge of owning a Section 5 firearm. This will lead to an, almost inevitably, custodial sentence & a lifetime ban on ownership of any firearm. Restriction on firearm ownership is nothing new. Ask any of the thousands of enthusiasts who were stripped of their, previously legally held, pistols & revolvers. The Brocock pressurised individual shell revolvers that were made illegal to trade, sell or give away almost overnight. Airsoft was granted a badly defined exception allowing the sport to continue. Following tragic world terrorist actions Governments, including the UK's looked again at the own firearms laws with the idea of rewriting them & closing the loop holes that existed in them. Thank to continued lobbying of the MP's & ministers involved airsoft has a stronger future with more detailed specifications.
    Da Posh Boi, innit

The problem seems to be that they've responded to a grey area (or loop hole) with more grey areas. And the point I'm making is... I spoke to a professional about this friday night and he suggested just setting a legal pressure (and thus joule limit) on the reg, then superglueing the pin in. So.... Let's say I superglue the pressure valve (which is an alan key fitting) on the reg on top of my HPA tank, so that the pressure is fixed, and legal. Now - with a bit of brute strength, I could probably break the seal of the glue and turn the reg's pressure up further, potentially breaking the new law.
    If I explain to the courts that I've followed the advice of a professional (by which i mean a retailer in this instance), I'm assuming they wouldn't be bothered, however if the government themselves released guidelines stating that this is an acceptable "downgrade" in power, then I'd feel a lot safer about the whole thing.

There are no grey areas now - the limits are now set in stone. We'll have to wait and see what the guidance notes bring, because there's an awful lot of BS doing the rounds - and yes, some of that is coming from "professionals". There's an old saying that "ignorance of the law is no excuse", and it doesn't matter what a pro told you if it's later found to be incorrect in court. You'll still be the one facing the charge(s).

Quote Originally Posted by Heinz View Post
    There are no grey areas now - the limits are now set in stone. We'll have to wait and see what the guidance notes bring, because there's an awful lot of BS doing the rounds - and yes, some of that is coming from "professionals". There's an old saying that "ignorance of the law is no excuse", and it doesn't matter what a pro told you if it's later found to be incorrect in court. You'll still be the one facing the charge(s).
    Well, i disagree. The grey area lies in the phrase "mechanically change"....
    Like the guy i spoke to Friday said - you can change the spring in an ASG Devil AEG, or a Scorpion Evo in about 60 seconds, adding a spring which will exceed the new limits. Is that a mechanical change? Is super-glueing the pressure valve on a HPA reg a "mechanical change"?
    Don't get me wrong, I'll be ensuring that I'm 100% on the right side of the law, but I'm trying to point out that someone could get f**ked on a technicality still.

**EDIT - Just making sure that nobody gets the wrong end of the stick here. All my posts in this thread are QUESTIONS - not advice, or instruction****

Would this not mean any retailer selling me a gbbr from today is technically selling me a section 5 firearm? As almost all shoot over the joule limit.

Frankly, i'll wait till the guidance notes come out and then i'll be sending them to my tame barrister. I've sat in court and watched friends get screwed on technicalities, badly. I don't want to be one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf View Post
    Would this not mean any retailer selling me a gbbr from today is technically selling me a section 5 firearm? As almost all shoot over the joule limit.
    It's not an Act of Parliament until it's received Royal Assent, and that hasn't been scheduled yet, so to answer your question - no, not at this second in time.

It received Royal Assent on 31st January.

Frankly, i'll wait till the guidance notes come out and then i'll be sending them to my tame barrister. I've sat in court and watched friends get screwed on technicalities, badly. I don't want to be one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

It's not an Act of Parliament until it's received Royal Assent, and that hasn't been scheduled yet, so to answer your question - no, not at this second in time.
    It has already received royal assent

What tickles me is the guidelines should have been present before the above but hey ho

Quote Originally Posted by MrMcG View Post
    It has already received royal assent

What tickles me is the guidelines should have been present before the above but hey ho
    That's exactly what I'm getting at. Technically, by introducing this law without giving guidelines and approriate time for a response, the government is knowingly criminalizing god knows how many people....

The HoP need to update it's website then lol

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...gandcrime.html

Latest news on the Policing and Crime Bill 2015-16 to 2016-17

Consideration of a Commons amendment to the Bill took place in the House of Lords on 18 January.

Both Houses agreed on the text of the Bill which now waits for the final stage of Royal Assent when the Bill will become an Act of Parliament. Royal Assent is yet to be scheduled.

Has anyone got a rough idea as to when we will see the new guidelines?

The HoP need to update it's website then lol

http://services.parliament.uk/bills/...gandcrime.html
    The HoP need to update their archaic way of thinking first.

Quote Originally Posted by JellyBelly16 View Post
    Has anyone got a rough idea as to when we will see the new guidelines?
    All we have been told is they are expected soon

The HoP need to update their archaic way of thinking first.
    There's more chance of Gill Marshall-Andrews going shooting than that happening!

Hello,

Although given Royal Assent, the provisions will be subject to Commenement Orders, so do not yet apply. The lethality provisions, which contain the airsoft exemption, should commence in Spring 2017. The HO are drafting their guidance now, ahead of commencement.

I hope that assists.

Adrian

Also, on the aspect of "ready convertibility", the Home Office have agreed to further discussions with UKARA and UKAPU to try and resolve this. As yet it hasn't been tested by the courts, but no one wants to get that far. One potential line of exploration relates to the CPS prosecution guidelines, which include a reference to only prosecuting cases where the conversion capability is such that the resulting firearm (i.e. the converted RIF or IF) exceeds the specially dangerous air weapon threshold. That threshold for long barrel items is approximately 16 joules. Hopefully that threshold would then exclude airsoft guns.

However, given that the 1982 Act is law, and CPS or other guidance is not, those representative organisations are seeking an amendment to that Act.

This matter was previously raised by UKARA and UKAPU to the Law Commission review, and of course is not a new concern. It has certainly not been created by the PCA 2017, although that work has brought it back into focus. At present the subject of its applicability to airsoft remains untested as simply not having been in the public interest to prosecute anyone. That is less than an ideal assurance, hence the need to take this further with the HO.

I hope that helps,

Adrian

As Adrian has pointed out to me, the published version of the act no longer mentions that the power restrictions apply to weapons that were designed to be semi-automatic or full-automatic but to those which actually are semi- or full-automatic. The implication of this is that a full-auto weapon converted to a semi-only DMR is likely to be ok provided that it runs at or under 2.5J.

Right, that's good news. I assume it has to be done so permanently and so the removal/ filing of your tappet plate isn't going to be great.
    For GBBRs we can just file the selector right?

so...if i am reading this correctly... a GBB pistol is like a TM Glock 17 is fine under this ;egislation as it is semi only and would blow apart at anything even near 500 fps ??
    FOR SALE:
    TRI AN/PRC 152 Radio package

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1451643

So Dan Wesson C02 revolvers OK then?

But KWA/KWC Desert Eagle C02 full auto version NOT OK?

Quote Originally Posted by KenIchikawa View Post
    So Dan Wesson C02 revolvers OK then?

But KWA/KWC Desert Eagle C02 full auto version NOT OK?
    Thats how im reading it
    FOR SALE:
    TRI AN/PRC 152 Radio package

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1451643

Quote Originally Posted by colinjallen View Post
    As Adrian has pointed out to me, the published version of the act no longer mentions that the power restrictions apply to weapons that were designed to be semi-automatic or full-automatic but to those which actually are semi- or full-automatic.
    Lol I'm confused, is this not the same thing?

Well I'll just hold out getting a rifle until mid year and see if the silly powers that be make their blooming minds up on what we can and can't have and make it clear for people to understand without trying to confuse them, the laws/rules around this sport and hobby are getting silly now give it a few years everyone will have to have clear spring powered airport guns or nothing..
    I'm glad this is not my only shooting hobby I know that much..

ATB, Marc
    Some Guns In My Collection:
    Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Gold Match - Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - WE Mak - Colt SAA .45 - & More
    My Youtube Review/Shooting Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmI...TEBvLnSJ7XCh1g

Quote Originally Posted by colinjallen View Post
    As Adrian has pointed out to me, the published version of the act no longer mentions that the power restrictions apply to weapons that were designed to be semi-automatic or full-automatic but to those which actually are semi- or full-automatic. The implication of this is that a full-auto weapon converted to a semi-only DMR is likely to be ok provided that it runs at or under 2.5J.
    I wouldn't put money on it. Nothing has changed in the 1988 Firearms Act (as amended by the 1997 Act), so Section 7(1)(a) of it still applies. That means that any "lethal barrelled weapon" (which is what any full auto airsoft gun over 1.3J would be considered to be, therefore Sec 5), will still be Sec 5, no matter what you do to it.

AJW will already know that bit, assuming he's the same AJW that was sitting several rows in front of me in a certain lecture theatre at the UoW back in September 2015...

I wouldn't put money on it. Nothing has changed in the 1988 Firearms Act (as amended by the 1997 Act), so Section 7(1)(a) of it still applies. That means that any "lethal barrelled weapon" (which is what any full auto airsoft gun over 1.3J would be considered to be, therefore Sec 5), will still be Sec 5, no matter what you do to it.

AJW will already know that bit, assuming he's the same AJW that was sitting several rows in front of me in a certain lecture theatre at the UoW back in September 2015...
    Yes, Heinz raises another key aspect to be discussed further with the Home Office in conjunction with the ready convertibility matters. The difficulty remains that the law on this is untested and the only truly safe solution for us is further amendment to the law. Whilst good progress seems to have been made since that 2015 conference, these key aspects remain, but at least the Home Office team are willing to engage and have listened to, and acted on, positive suggestions.

Still a way to go though...

Thanks,

Adrian

And in case it helps explain the problem (appreciating many reasonable people would lose the will to live over all this complexity for what ought to be simple...), if a successive fire capable AEG (for example) was made and imported into the UK with a muzzle energy not exceeding 1.3j, then had its action locked to SA only and was then upgraded so as not to exceed 2.5j then it should be fine in law. However if the same AEG was imported, upgraded to no more than 2.5j muzzle energy and then had its action locked then it would likely not be lawful.

The reason for this is the s7 provisions that Heinz refers to. Once the successive fire capable airsoft gun exceeds 1.3j muzzle energy then it is likely that it would be a prohibited weapon (although this remains untested in the courts as far as I know). s7 means that once it is prohibited as a successive fire firearm (bearing in mind that at 1.3+j it is outside of both the current HO advice and forthcoming PCA2017 exemption) it cannot lose that status through conversion.

Howverr

- - - Updated - - -

However a prosecution would presumably have to show that the airsoft gun in quest actually had been operating in successive fire mode above 1.3j, as opposed to could have been converted to do so (with a more powerful spring for example). The test in this case would be what it actually did as opposed to what it could have been converted to do.

The matter of what it could have been converted to achieve is the "ready convertibility" question.

Adrian

I think when (if ) this gets Royal Ascension, some of these posts need plucking out into a sticky.

This is FUBAR!!

I have hpa tipman and glock auto! I'm pissed as I think even if we can get round the law by locking it etc most sites out of
    Shear Easley ness will just ban HPA anyway! Some sites have banned c02 anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Nwhite01 View Post
    This is FUBAR!!

I have hpa tipman and glock auto! I'm pissed as I think even if we can get round the law by locking it etc most sites out of
    Shear Easley ness will just ban HPA anyway! Some sites have banned c02 anyway!
    Spoke to one of my local gun shops the other day, and they are worried about this, and said it could have a huge impact on selling guns and the sport in general, they said they are waiting on the finial decision, but it could do major damage to the sport/hobby..

Im really put off to be honest, and just think even if you say put a npas kit in your trusted rifle you have had years, or even bought days before this stupid new rule comes out, you will have a gun you cant use and should hand in or disassemble or doctoer in someway, but even then, will locking it really count?, give it a few years ill not be surprised in the sport all together is banned.. its a joke to be honest..

ATB, Marc..
    Walther Lever Action - TM Hi-Capa Gold Match - Umarex Beretta 92fs - Colt Custom 1911 - WE Mak - Colt SAA .45 - & More
    My Youtube Review/Shooting Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmI...TEBvLnSJ7XCh1g

They can't honestly expect you to hand over your gbbrs. What happens to all of the money you spent? Wouldn't they have to reimburse you?

when real firarms became ilegal the govermnt tro my knowlegde did NOT reimburse people, if we have to i am literally out multiple of thousands of pounds... unless i make them all semi only

Once again a new law comes along which just seems to be implemented with the intention if killing off our sport, or making it as difficult as possible for people to enjoy it. The big problem is there are a lot of people giving their interpretation of the law, trying to be as helpful as possible, but what we really need is an official explanation of the law, it's effects and what people can and can't do to their guns. We've all spent a fortune on this hobby and the possibility that we've all just been told the we are now breaking the law is, rightly causing people concern.

That said, we all just need to remember that as always, if you use your guns properly, in the right places, then there should be no issue. As has been said, the police are not going to be raiding airsoft sites or the homes of airsofters just for something to do. They don't have the time or the resources for that unless you've done something stupid. Yes, there is always the potential that a concerned neighbour may call the police if you are seen plinking in the garden and you may have to answer a couple of questions. But, any guns confiscated need to be tested at specific Home Office laboratories and not by individual police forces and that costs money. It's quite expensive to send stuff off for testing and so this will only be done when an offence has already been committed, such as a public order offence, walking around the streets with a gun causing harassment, alarm and distress, threatening someone or shooting someone with a gun. The chances of ending up in court and then finding yourself looking at a 5 year sentence is fairly slim. Not impossible, but unlikely. The biggest issue is buying and selling on forums and then finding the guns are unusable at sites, which is no different from the situation we've always had.
    The only stupid question is one that was never asked.

Quote Originally Posted by Marc.RG1 View Post
    Spoke to one of my local gun shops the other day, and they are worried about this, and said it could have a huge impact on selling guns and the sport in general, they said they are waiting on the finial decision, but it could do major damage to the sport/hobby..

Im really put off to be honest, and just think even if you say put a npas kit in your trusted rifle you have had years, or even bought days before this stupid new rule comes out, you will have a gun you cant use and should hand in or disassemble or doctoer in someway, but even then, will locking it really count?, give it a few years ill not be surprised in the sport all together is banned.. its a joke to be honest..

ATB, Marc..
    I wouldn't rely on NPAS kits anyway as they are notably shite, and are adjustable up OR down, it's not fixed.

I've seen a few posts on the TM MWS Facebook page and a chap has managed to get his shooting 1.19J on a .4g BB with guarder black gas. All by installing an FG 20% reduction disc (which is suggest over the NPAS even before all this crap).

It's doable. But it'll be easier to sort when we have guidelines (I.e a certified weight to measure on etc etc)
    Don't forget to submit feedback! http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php

Quote Originally Posted by skyforger View Post
    when real firarms became ilegal the govermnt tro my knowlegde did NOT reimburse people, if we have to i am literally out multiple of thousands of pounds... unless i make them all semi only
    Compensation was paid to owners who had to surrender certain types of firearm due to changes brought in both the 1988 and 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Acts - i.e. bye bye semi-auto fullbore rifles in '88 and then pistols in '97.
    Last edited by Heinz; 13th February, 2017 at 13:16.

Quote Originally Posted by callumbagshaw View Post
    I think when (if ) this gets Royal Ascension, some of these posts need plucking out into a sticky.
    Royal Assent was given on 31st January.

Compensation was paid to owners who had to surrender certain types of firearm due to changes brought in both the 1988 and 1997 Firearms (Amendment) Acts - i.e. bye bye semi-auto fullbore rifles in '88 and then pistols in '97.
    yeah and they got hardly anything compared to the price of some of their guns..

I think saying it's going to kill the sport is a bit much , whilst it's a bit of a rough time with the uncertainty involved for the gas and HPA users it's not about to kill the sport. Hopefully ukara/ukapu lobbying will have helped educate the people deciding the laws and guidelines and something gets set in stone soon. I don't think anyone can deny though with the potential damage HPA can do it's fair to require some rules in place to ensure safety in game while still allowing those who enjoy using them to carry on

I had not been paying attention. Jesus F*cking Christ, it never ends!

I had no intention of using my GBBR for games without getting an NPAS for it. Fortunately I'm pretty sure it is shooting pathetically low nowadays as .24s fall to earth at 30 yards, now I'll have to make sure it gets pegged at 1.3 joules when I scrape together the readies to get it fixed.
    As it is, it seems there's no great problem in easily swapping out springs on an AEG and it sounds like an NPAS could easily be illegal too. Sure the cops have better things to do, but one could be only a malicious phone call away from time in cells. And believe me all a liar has to do is call the cops and mention the word "gun" and they will respond to the complainants wishes, whether true or not. Believe me.

I could see the wisdom in prohibiting game play with greater than 1.3 j full autos. I could easily go along with making it illegal to shoot another person with such a thing. But to blanket make them illegal? No, just plain wrong! Especially as real air rifles are 12 foot per pounds and that's barely lethal.

This law is just pathetic; yet another frog boiling exercise incrementally whittling away at our freedoms. This incremental approach works for the antis, and it works well, after all who thinks all these ill advised "Dangerous Dogs Laws" will ever be abolished?

This sort of thing makes me despair at our mainstream parties. It truly does.

This reminds me of what happened in 2011 with the VCRA amendments to blank firers needing to be 'wholly blocked'. Even so, the authorities have not acted upon the myriad re-enacters running around the arena with converted MGC68 MP40's and the like, that fire 9mm Winmag blanks through a partially blocked barrel. They are (imo) unlikely to either, unless somebody does something with one that is really stupid and irresponsible..
    Last edited by muzzleflash; 16th February, 2017 at 21:10.

Someone posted an email yesterday from a retailer who was refunding deposts for the ASG HPA Evo as ASG arent going to be selling it here due to the new laws. Makes you wonder what ASG know, after all its their business to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Jam_Man View Post
    Someone posted an email yesterday from a retailer who was refunding deposts for the ASG HPA Evo as ASG arent going to be selling it here due to the new laws. Makes you wonder what ASG know, after all its their business to know.
    Tip of the iceberg, maybe?
    Da Posh Boi, innit

Quote Originally Posted by Paul55 View Post
    Tip of the iceberg, maybe?

Could be, spoke to my local yesterday and they are testing every rifle they get in to try and keep the ones below 370.
    I'm going to speak to them more tomorrow and ask if there's any point me buying a scar this year or waiting until next year..

Seen a website that's dropped the price of a we raptor m4 from 350 to 199.. maybe they're offloading

Quote Originally Posted by W0lf View Post
    Seen a website that's dropped the price of a we raptor m4 from 350 to 199.. maybe they're offloading
    No, they just suck 😂

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by muzzleflash View Post
    This reminds me of what happened in 2011 with the VCRA amendments to blank firers needing to be 'wholly blocked'. Even so, the authorities have not acted upon the myriad re-enacters running around the arena with converted MGC68 MP40's and the like, that fire 9mm Winmag blanks through a partially blocked barrel. They are (imo) unlikely to either, unless somebody does something with one that is really stupid and irresponsible..
    It ain't just the converted MGC68's that are a problem. I was asked to do some rectification work on a blank firing MP28 recently. Took one look at it, compared it to the Specification for Imitation Firearms Regulations 2011, and then decided I didn't want to touch it with a barge pole...

It ain't just the converted MGC68's that are a problem. I was asked to do some rectification work on a blank firing MP28 recently. Took one look at it, compared it to the Specification for Imitation Firearms Regulations 2011, and then decided I didn't want to touch it with a barge pole...
    A sound decision I reckon!. I nearly purchased a converted 68 recently, but those 2011 amendments put me off completely and I decided to wait for the GSG semi-auto versions in 9mm pak when Edgar Brothers finally get them certified....
    ��

HI all,, as I nearly have the money to buy a scar gbbr, I again phoned my local airsoft shop for a chat, I asked what do they think would be best for me to do, buy the 300+ scar from them at the weekend or not buy it and see what is happening with all the rules with the power limit and full auto etc, when the changes come into play.. He told me to not buy the rifle from them and to wait..

So basically being honest, turning away my money because of the unsurety of what these new rules will have in store for us, he knows the power limits will most likely come into play, but are unsure on how we will be allowed to lower the fps or lock the guns to semi auto or even if they will sell them..

It's all a waiting game now. I'm gutted though I really wanted a nice scar h gbbr this year, but looks like I'll have to wait until the end of the year or next year, back to buying another airgun then I think..

ATB, Marc.

fingers crossed factory full auto gbbrs are allowed to be locked to semi and thats that , luckily for me being in the channel islands im not really affected by this but i would like to use my gbbr in the uk , im probably being naive here but the way im going to see this is as long as my gbbr chronos under the limits for the site im at then im good. what more do they want ??? , if they want to fiddle and play and technically "modify" my gun to find out how much power it could acheive to try and skrew me over then they can stick it where the sun dont shine.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast