Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HPA and GBB limits law changes

Originally posted by 1st commando View Post
    If it left the factory as select fire or automatic the law will always recognise it as that regardless of whether it is now locked from being so
    Spot on. It retains the classification it was manufactured under. It's the same reason that .22rf semi-auto AR type rifles in the UK have to be manufactured as .22rf, and cannot be converted from 5.56mm centre fire by dropping in one of the conversion kits.

Comment

Good to know. But I still feel like this is a none issue.

Comment

Any updated news on this?

- - - Updated - - -

Any updated news on this?

Comment

I think this will turn out to be another, something and nothing, and will only be talked about until something else comes along .
          "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by steve grey View Post
            I think this will turn out to be another, something and nothing, and will only be talked about until something else comes along .
            What makes you think that?

Comment

I wouldn't like to put money on that. What's on the statute book can, and will, be used. Just ask those who collect blades as to how far Border Force will go to prove that a simple folding knife that someone is trying to import is a "gravity knife", just so they can gleefully tell them that they're confiscating it...

Comment

Royal assent was granted today so the bill is now law.

Comment

Shouldn't a government introducing new laws (which they are fully aware will impact those who are they are currently governing) release some guidelines which are simple to follow, and ensure that you don't end up in the showers with Dwayne Pipe? That way if you did end up outside the terms of these new laws, but had sufficient evidence to prove that you attempted to comply and follow the guidelines, Dwayne has to find someone else to drop the soap?

Comment

Surely they have given guidelines. If you own a GBBR or HPA full auto capable, at time of manufacture, rifle, SMG, PDW that is capable of exceeding 1.3J it is now illegal. Whether you have to hand it in to the Police or whether you are allowed to have it professionally downgraded is not clear, although I'm sure it will become clear very soon. Whether you agree with the ruling or have an "argument" against it is pointless. It is now law, get caught with one in your possession will lead to a charge of owning a Section 5 firearm. This will lead to an, almost inevitably, custodial sentence & a lifetime ban on ownership of any firearm. Restriction on firearm ownership is nothing new. Ask any of the thousands of enthusiasts who were stripped of their, previously legally held, pistols & revolvers. The Brocock pressurised individual shell revolvers that were made illegal to trade, sell or give away almost overnight. Airsoft was granted a badly defined exception allowing the sport to continue. Following tragic world terrorist actions Governments, including the UK's looked again at the own firearms laws with the idea of rewriting them & closing the loop holes that existed in them. Thank to continued lobbying of the MP's & ministers involved airsoft has a stronger future with more detailed specifications.
                    Da Posh Boi, innit

Comment

The problem seems to be that they've responded to a grey area (or loop hole) with more grey areas. And the point I'm making is... I spoke to a professional about this friday night and he suggested just setting a legal pressure (and thus joule limit) on the reg, then superglueing the pin in. So.... Let's say I superglue the pressure valve (which is an alan key fitting) on the reg on top of my HPA tank, so that the pressure is fixed, and legal. Now - with a bit of brute strength, I could probably break the seal of the glue and turn the reg's pressure up further, potentially breaking the new law.
                      If I explain to the courts that I've followed the advice of a professional (by which i mean a retailer in this instance), I'm assuming they wouldn't be bothered, however if the government themselves released guidelines stating that this is an acceptable "downgrade" in power, then I'd feel a lot safer about the whole thing.

Comment

There are no grey areas now - the limits are now set in stone. We'll have to wait and see what the guidance notes bring, because there's an awful lot of BS doing the rounds - and yes, some of that is coming from "professionals". There's an old saying that "ignorance of the law is no excuse", and it doesn't matter what a pro told you if it's later found to be incorrect in court. You'll still be the one facing the charge(s).

Comment

Originally posted by Heinz View Post
                          There are no grey areas now - the limits are now set in stone. We'll have to wait and see what the guidance notes bring, because there's an awful lot of BS doing the rounds - and yes, some of that is coming from "professionals". There's an old saying that "ignorance of the law is no excuse", and it doesn't matter what a pro told you if it's later found to be incorrect in court. You'll still be the one facing the charge(s).
                          Well, i disagree. The grey area lies in the phrase "mechanically change"....
                          Like the guy i spoke to Friday said - you can change the spring in an ASG Devil AEG, or a Scorpion Evo in about 60 seconds, adding a spring which will exceed the new limits. Is that a mechanical change? Is super-glueing the pressure valve on a HPA reg a "mechanical change"?
                          Don't get me wrong, I'll be ensuring that I'm 100% on the right side of the law, but I'm trying to point out that someone could get f**ked on a technicality still.

**EDIT - Just making sure that nobody gets the wrong end of the stick here. All my posts in this thread are QUESTIONS - not advice, or instruction****

Comment

Would this not mean any retailer selling me a gbbr from today is technically selling me a section 5 firearm? As almost all shoot over the joule limit.

Comment

Frankly, i'll wait till the guidance notes come out and then i'll be sending them to my tame barrister. I've sat in court and watched friends get screwed on technicalities, badly. I don't want to be one of them.

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by W0lf View Post
                              Would this not mean any retailer selling me a gbbr from today is technically selling me a section 5 firearm? As almost all shoot over the joule limit.
                              It's not an Act of Parliament until it's received Royal Assent, and that hasn't been scheduled yet, so to answer your question - no, not at this second in time.

Comment

It received Royal Assent on 31st January.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

KenIchikawa Find out more about KenIchikawa
                                Working...
                                X