Snipers - How boring is it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Snipers - How boring is it?

So... Sniping. How boring is it? For the 5 or so years that I've been playing Airsoft, I've always found that the thrill of the game is being in an objective hiding behind as much as twigs in order to cover myself. And on the flip side, rushing enemy cover and taking them by surprise.

However, whats it like being the one who barely gets a chance to make it to the objective before the whistle blows; watching your team mates run ahead?

I've recently had a massive craving to pick up a cheap sniper, whack a scope on it and give it a go. I mean, there's nothing more annoying than being picked off from god-knows-where when you think you're in the best hiding spot ever created. But the cost to make it worthwhile and the restrictions placed on using a 450 FPS gun are slightly outweighing my desire to do it.

I want to hear from everyone and whether or not they think it's something that everyone should try, or whether a 350fps AEG with high tuned internals is a much more preferable option. (See MattTheMuskateer on YouTube for reference)

Cheers, let the comments commence!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Re: Snipers - How boring is it?

I completely see your view point, i love to get stuck in and get the adrenaline going but equally enjoyable as im sure many will agree is the ability to take out opponents holding an objective from afar, especially when they ar in a structure, immobile, and yuo have the advantage of distance and movement to pick them off.

Then even advancing on that position and switching to a secondary to get past minimum engagement, pistols are so satisfying and demoralizing to the recipient!

Stalking people is aslo highly addictive, the rush of being a ghost is quite something, see Kicking Mustang on FB / YT

Theres many small secondaries like MP7's etc if you still want to auto it up!

BTW i dont own a sniper, biggest ive gone is DMR but everything still stands, i usually shadow my mate who is sniper

Comment

My dream would be an mp7, but I think if I were to do this, it would be the cheapest way possible, and they don't come cheap!

I think I'll pick a sniper up one day, but would it even be worth picking up an £80 springer?

I mean, it's probably a good start, but I sure as hell wouldn't get that satisfying long range headshot that I lust over...

Comment

In my opinion, very boring.

I tried to like sniping, I really did; I took my sniper rifle to the Sandpit several times and learned how to camouflage myself with empty sandbags and hessian. I got lots of kills, but it was just not satisfying for me, mainly because it lacked the fun of running an assault rifle or a battle rifle.

My playing style is sneaky rather than aggressive, but I love getting involved in an intense firefight, which tends not to happen with a sniper rifle. Now, I often run a very long ranged L1A1 at 347 FPS and can either operate at distance or close up.

On the other hand, my son finds sniping really interesting and fun.

As for picking up a sniper one day, I hear that they can occasionally be found in bars around Aldershot on a Friday night.

Comment

When I travel to frontier airsoft, I do not use my sniper all day. I like a mixture of either running and charging or being on top of the ridge with my sniper lol. I think it depends on what game is being played at the time. If its an defensive game then I will use my sniper but when its attacking then I will use my AEG.

I couldn't be a sniper all day. I would lose interest.
          I reject reality and substitute my own

Comment

Cheers for the replies, I am thinking it might just be a 5 minute wonder..... But I really do wanna give it a go

Comment

Iv been playing 17 years now and only ever had one sniper rifle which was a TM VSR 10, think i used it once........and it bored the living day lights out of me. Now though i built myself a Mark 12 SPR (Marcus Luttrell's gun from Lone Survivor).......i cant put the thing down. Personally semi auto sniping is alot more fun than bolt action. But again its all down to personal preference.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Comment

I sniped for a short time and in some games it was fun and I got some satisfying kills but in others it was just boring granted now more and more snipers in Airsoft play at the front where when I sniped some games moved too fast to do the whole find a good place and search for targets I think it is more down to you if you like to go with the flow of a game sniping might not be your thing but if you play at sites that have longer games it can have its own pluses.

I would suggest get a cheap sniper and try it out once they shoot ok you will see if it is your thing or not.

Curlyboy
                'I prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around' Han Solo

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post

As for picking up a sniper one day, I hear that they can occasionally be found in bars around Aldershot on a Friday night.
                  Ahh, sarcasm, the lowest form of wit.... BUT DEFINATELY THE FUNNIEST...hahahahah brilliant Colin.. and the reason Joe, (and others) is that for us pedantic purists, (and in reality) a "Sniper" is the guy that fires it, and not the rifle itself.... (walks away muttering, "young people today etc") lol
                  Last edited by steve grey; 29 January, 2017, 10:29.
                  "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

I'm going to have to apologise to colin, but I don't have a clue what he's on about aha. I'm sure it was funny though.

In the meantime though, I think I'll just let the craving slip by and have a few more days out with my AEG's. To be honest, I play about once every 2-4 months anyway, which means if I do buy a new gun, it won't get used until it's gathered enough dust that it probably won't even shoot!

Comment

The two young women in this picture are snipers, albeit probably not the type that one would pick up in a pub in Aldershot:

IMG_0400.jpg

The weapons that they are using, and so delicately balancing cartridges on, are sniper rifles, which are probably also not that easy to pick up in a pub in Aldershot.

Comment

I've played as a dedicated sniper for just over a year now. Playing in mostly woodland sites. The thrill for me is the more intellectual thrill of out smarting players, concealment and shooting discipline. I usually play rather slow for the first few games of the day working out players, site and team play style. After that point the fun begins. There is nothing more satisfying than sprinting down areas you know will be clear to get to a position hunker down allow the enemy team to move past you, sometimes within a few feet of you, set up and start to pick off players. Choosing shots to cause as much confusion as possible. More than once I've caused team mates to friendly fire at each other in confusion. Having played many roles during airsoft (and I still play assualt at cqb sites) sniper is the most interesting, at times exciting and rewarding play style.

On a side note if your laying on your face 100 meters behind your team mates getting bored, playing a sniper is not for you.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

Ive played as a dedicated sniper for the past 3 years. My m4 went down in a game and i picked up my mates vsr gspec and was instantly hooked. As fopsy so nicely summed it up, its about learning the players, choosing shots and causing mayhem. I play at Cribbs in Bristol and the site is the perfect size and mix of terrain for it.

I love it when people stand out in the open thinking they are out of range of aegs when all of a sudden "plink", "hit" "where the hell did that come from?"

I take my systema to every game day and it doesnt get a look in. Sniping is not for everyone but i personally love it. Quick hop adjustments on the fly, angling the gun so the hop counters the wind and the ability to reach out and touch while staying unseen. I cant see myself playing any other way or with any other platform.

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

Comment

This is the kind of thing I wanted to see. Someone that got absorbed by it and made it sound very appealing. I think my other problem is, is that the only field I really visit which has the range to make a sniper useful is Ground Zero in the New Forest and I hardly every go there.... I mainly go to cqb sites... In fact, the only woodland site I really visit is ****** ***** in Wickham and that is also a rarity... And that field runs attack and defend games where they put borders around so you're still not going to be shooting at sniper-worthy distances.

Comment

It's not always about distance some days I have collected more tags with my side arm because I wanted to wait to Pete were practicality on top of me before making the shots. You'd be amazed at how much you improve by challenging yourself like that. Make a maximum range your aloud to tag people at for the day or game like 10 meters and take the time to get close or the patience and knowledge to set up in a place you know players will venture and I promise you, if you get 4-5 tags from a group of bunched up players and none of them have a clue as to where or how they got hit. It's the best feeling. Even more so if you reveal yourself to reposition and you here the typical "what the hell you were there!" "I didn't even notice you" makes that 10 minutes all worth while.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

JoeGisby1 Airsofter Find out more about JoeGisby1
                              Working...
                              X