Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

New player - Questions on the viability of a hand-me-down gun and general advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New player - Questions on the viability of a hand-me-down gun and general advice

Hello all!

To introduce myself I'm Tom, and I reside in the South East of England. A few weeks ago I inherited a bison 701 from a friend of mine who had just used it for a good year and had moved up to an A&K Dragunov over christmas. While it is two-tone he recommended that the use of cloth tape on the stock and grip would suffice. However I decided that I'd research into the gun before fielding it, and running my own tests. For the age of the gun, and the fact it had been used in a good 50 skirmishes, it was in pretty good nick - however what I was informed was the shortness of the top cover of the reciever popping off (easily fixed with a bit of fastened cloth tape mind) and a slight amount of flex in the front of the gun itself. Mainly where the forward handgrip met the reciever. In terms of accuracy and power it runs at a consistent 440 FPS, and the accuracy despite the pretty much stock form is very impressive.

I just want to ask if anyone has had any experience with this gun themselves, whether using it themselves or seeing others use it. In my opinion it's not killed itself yet, so it should be okay, but of course the majority of the construction is ABS plastic and it's not the most durable plastic. In terms of how to run it, I am a big fan of dragunov scope systems, so if people have any recommendations please let me know. Despite the impressive accuracy of this weapon - I don't think that it is going to in any way outclass anything lick a modded VSR-10 - however I believe it could be nice for fighting with a group and picking out targets of interest, similar to how real steel versions are commonly used.

As it was a hand me down, and on the advice of my friend he recommended going to a skirmish site, and renting until my skirmish membership is sorted so I can order RIFs. One to get use to the sport, and two to see if there is another playstyle that suits me before I lock into using the handed down gun myself. Now, I'm not what you'd call the most fit player in the world, I am quite large and the main reason for me to start airsoft was alongside my weight loss program also use the game as a form of exercise alongside enjoy what I've seen as an extremely fun and engaging hobby with a good international community on the whole. If you have recommendations for quite a large guy as myself on how to approach the game in a way that plays to my strengths and keeps me nice and active.

If you've read on this long I applaud you, and look forward to your advice.

Re: New player - Questions on the viability of a hand-me-down gun and general advice

Hello mate and welcome

Go to a few skirmishes and see the lay of the land as it were. Id personally hire a gun on the day, just to see how the site works and see what your style of play suits you

Comment

Re: New player - Questions on the viability of a hand-me-down gun and general advice

Hi Tom, good to see you taking up the sport, especially as part of a get fit and weight loss program, I'd think it would be quite effective at that, a friend and I wore pedometers (well, IPhone apps) a couple of games back, and were shocked to see, that we'd covered ten miles, but you don't have to do cover that sort of distance, there are any number of styles of play that you can adopt, some, like sniping, can be pretty static, the choice is very much yours. But airsoft, is a game for all ages and levels of fitness, literally anyone can play, and it's damned good fun at that. As for the gun question, just follow Shamus's advice above before you make a decision. So welcome aboard, enjoy the game and good luck with the fitness program, let us know it goes.
      "This is my rifle, it's just a toy one, there are many like it, they're toy ones too, without it, i'm £250 better off, without me, it gathers dust in the corner, we're just big boys playing soldiers, lets try and remember that" play fair have fun.

Comment

Originally posted by steve grey View Post
        Hi Tom, good to see you taking up the sport, especially as part of a get fit and weight loss program, I'd think it would be quite effective at that, a friend and I wore pedometers (well, IPhone apps) a couple of games back, and were shocked to see, that we'd covered ten miles, but you don't have to do cover that sort of distance, there are any number of styles of play that you can adopt, some, like sniping, can be pretty static, the choice is very much yours. But airsoft, is a game for all ages and levels of fitness, literally anyone can play, and it's damned good fun at that. As for the gun question, just follow Shamus's advice above before you make a decision. So welcome aboard, enjoy the game and good luck with the fitness program, let us know it goes.
        Aye, I've been meaning to lose weight for a while. Lost 1 1/2 stone over christmas but of course it being the holidays I'm now back at square one. Issue is money as well, I need to grab a stable job before I can start skirmishing consistently.

Comment

440fps is a bit hot though.

Comment

Not for a sniper rifle, it isn't.

Comment

Originally posted by colinjallen View Post
              Not for a sniper rifle, it isn't.

Oh I thought he was talking about a Bizon SMG oops!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by KenIchikawa View Post
                Oh I thought he was talking about a Bizon SMG oops!!!!
                Common mistake for people to make :D

Bison the company itself ain't the best manufacturers. Internals for this gun seem to be built pretty solid however, but I do have my doubts over it. It's neither on Zeroone's airsoft site nor any reputable retailers, but it is on JustBBGuns and similar sites, which does raise concerns.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

TFoster Find out more about TFoster
                Working...
                X