Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky/tacky Krylon

Hi All,

To cut a long story short, I sprayed my MK12 MOD 1 with Keylon last summer and to be honest I thought I did a pretty good job. However, I did notice though that about a week or so later that the paint on the stock started to feel a little tacky. I put this down to not properly cleaning or decreasing the stock and after a game or two, didn't notice it anymore (largly in part because all of because Krylon in the affected area came off).

About two weeks ago, I decided to do the same paint job on my MK18. I followed largely the same principle (lightly cleaning and decreasing the parts) and set about spraying with about 3 to 4 light coats of Khaki.

All was fine with the how the paint job it turned out but about a week ago I decided to add 1-2 light coats of Sand to give it a bit more of a worn look (at this point I should mention that I also took some fine grit sandpaper to a few edges to give it the appearance of being used in the field somewhat extensively), I also degreased/cleaned the areas about to be sprayed. Again, all was fine for about 24-48 hrs but after that, I noticed that a few areas that's had been sprayed with sand started to feel a bit tacky/sticky. I thought it may be down to needing more time to dry so I've been keeping my eyes on it but as the days have progressed, it seems to be just as tacky/sticky.

Has anyone had similar experience with stickiness/tackiness Krylon jobs after paiting? If so, did you just leave it to dry out (however long that would take)?

Thanks!

Re: Sticky/tacky Krylon

Too much paint? Pics would help a lot

Comment

Re: Sticky/tacky Krylon

Krylon paint (and lots of other aerosol paints) react with rubber. It will never fully dry or loose its tackiness due to the chemicals in the paint reacting with certain rubbers and plastics.

If its happening on metal areas its usually down to coats of paint being applied too quickly over a coat that hasn't fully cured/dried.

Ideally you want to use lots and lots of really light coats and leave at least 30 mins between them to allow the solvents to fully evaporate or else they become trapped between the layers of paint causing reactions.

Three reasons to stand up: 1. To get the remote 2. To go to the bathroom 3. Because you’re the real slim shady

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

obious Find out more about obious
      Working...
      X