X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Police guidance on transporting RIF/IFs

Originally posted by jasevx View Post
    All depends on the Force, each time we shoot, we inform Leicestershire Police by their firearms event booking form, and when in Nottingham at our training ground we inform the local beat coppers who log it on the system. Its all about communication.
    Fair enough for a site to notify the local fuzz that there's a game on - and is to be applauded. For individuals to do it though would be a bit daft and, frankly, a waste of valuable Police time.

Just know your rights!

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post
      Fair enough for a site to notify the local fuzz that there's a game on - and is to be applauded. For individuals to do it though would be a bit daft and, frankly, a waste of valuable Police time.
      And more likely to draw unwanted attention.

Comment

Draw unwanted attention?

I think not. More likely the other way round.

Comment

Yep it takes 5 minutes to do, and if the coppers are quiet on the beat they come up for a shoot, all about building bridges

Comment

Originally posted by Panoptes View Post

Just know your rights!
            Where I shoot/hunt, it's a little public in the fact it's visible from the road/rail line and contains a permissive footpath, when I leave for a shoot with the .22s (air rifles) I call 101 and give name, reg no, location of where I'll be with said fire arms and type and how long I'll be there for.
            When on my permission, I close the foot path and place the warning signs out. After its just a quick call to let them know I'm done.
            It's about letting them know in advance so if someone does call in they are aware that someone is shooting in that area and it shouldn't be a problem. The same as if they pull me on route, they may already know I'm carring as its been logged to my reg no.

I'm not suggesting airsofters do this but it's just what I do and it works

Comment

Firstly, this is all a bit off topic.

Secondly, all the notifying in the world won't stop an ARV being sent out if someone reports a person running around with a gun.

I shoot in all sorts of places, with all sorts of firearms. From bunnies with the air rifle, right up to deer with the .243, and I have had the police turn out on several occasions when I've been shooting, completely legally and on my own permissions.

Back on topic, I take the same precautions carrying my RIF's as I do carrying any other gun. They will be zipped/locked in a case, in the locked boot. I've been pulled over a couple of times with firearms in the car, it's kind of an occupational hazard when out late at night in the countryside, for example when shooting foxes or rabbits under the lamp, and generally as long as you can show reasonable proof that you have the right to be there, there is no problem.

Be sensible. Only carry the weapons in the car when you need to (read "have a good reason to") and if you are stopped, be polite and helpful (you don't need to grovel or anything, you've done nothing wrong, but it will all flow a lot easier if you can bring yourself to be as helpful as you can be, the copper is only doing their job).

Comment

I'm pretty new to all this RIF thing but if I use an RIF in my garden and don't take them beyond my property, do the guns need to be two tone ?
                I have a two tone G36 which I have taken to a friend's house (via the train and bus network, in a closed bag) with no problems as I wasn't stopped for a bag search, even by the two rather well equipped GMP officers outside Piccadilly train station.

Comment

Hello,

The difference between an imitation firearm ("IF", such as your "two-tone" G36) and a realistic imitation firearm ("RIF", such as a black version of your G36), is relevant to the constraints when somebody wishes to purchase one or the other, rather than to any constraints on what you can use on private land.

It is not really so relevant when in a public place as the offence that might be considered (s19 Firearms Act 1968) relates
                  to all imitation firearms rather than just to realistic imitation firearms.

What that means in practice is that in a public place you will need a reasonable excuse to have your imitation firearm (two-tone included) with you.

I hope that helps,

Adrian

Comment

Adrian,

That's great. thanks.
                    So in reality, I need to make sure that my friend can confirm that I am transporting the gun to a specific location for a specific purpose and not just carrying it around in my bag. Makes perfect sense.

Comment

Sure, having someone independent to verify your possession is always a good option. You appear to have cracked the main aspect though, carry your IF discretely and don't draw attention to it.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Caveira Find out more about Caveira
                      Working...
                      X