X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sniper Upgrades (based on a VSR) and Further Guide

Originally posted by G Shot Me View Post
    What about lubrication?
    Regular application of lubricants are vital for spring rifles to keep everything working smoothly.

What do you use?
    Light silicone based spray lubricants are used for cleaning internals. All internals should be cleaned thoroughly. How often depends on the amount of use your rifle is getting. I clean my entire rifle after every game, and the barrel before every game.

DO NOT CLEAN THE BUCKING WITH LUBRICANT, use hot soapy water and leave to air dry.

Most people use a combination of heavy and light lubricants to actually lubricate the internals.

Where do you use it?
    Again, most people will use the combination as mentioned above...

A thick grease type lubricant (e.g. bicycle grease, often teflon based) for the outside of the cylinder and the trigger mech.

A light silicone/Teflon based spray lubricant will be used for the cylinder internals (e.g. GT85, PTFE). Again, the hop-up bucking should not be lubricated, and after the barrel is cleaned, neither should it.

As I clean my rifles before and after every game (and spray cylinder and internals in breaks), I find I do not need heavier based lubricants and can easily get away with just GT85.

How much do you use?
    A pretty decent coating of the trigger mech and outside of the cylinder with grease, and a light/moderate spray on then inside of the cylinder.

Also, you could try spraying inside the receiver with a coating of telfon setting spray. This done every so often will give you a very silky bolt cycle.

Hope that helps,

Alex (mj23lj)
    Trader Feedback:
    New Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5557
    Old Forum: http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?9461-mj23lj

Comment

It does indeed! Thank you very much indeed sir!

G.

Comment

hi i have just bought the jg bar 10 and wondered if i cut down the airbrake and done the ptfe mod on the nozzle will this damage the gun quickly or will it last several months idont wont it packing in straight away if you know what i mean
        M4a1
        M4 CQB
        MP5 NAVY
        TM DESERT EAGLE
        GLOCK 17 HFC METAL SLIDE
        JG BAR 10 G SPEC

Comment

Hi mate,

Sorry for the late reply...

Those modifications would be fine, and the rifle should be fine for a while.

Cutting the airbreak will decrease accuracy to a degree though, the more you take the more accuracy lost. Take off 50% MAX.

You should think about upgrading the barrel and bucking, some DIY barrel spacers would be good also.

Hope that helps,

Alex (mj23lj)
          Trader Feedback:

Comment

Hey Alex. If I remember rightly, you stated that Laylax do a replacement hop-unit (or similar) for the VSR, but that the standard TM hop-unit is perfectly fine.

I found a "Marui VSR10 Tight Barrel & New Type Hop up" for sale on another supplier's website and wondered what your thoughts on it are?

I've heard it referred to as an "Enhanced" hop too. Why is it enhanced or different to the standard hop?

Also, any idea what diameter the TM TB barrel is and how it compares to the Laylax TB barrel?

Thanks.
            Ryan
            sigpic

Comment

The "Enhanced" hop-up unit is generally better quality, and the component of it have less play in them, so that you'll be getting a more consistent shot.

The TB barrel that comes in the package is a 6.04 (I think), but I have have never hear much about them, accept that people who have bought the package often do not use the barrel. I can't see it being in the same league as Laylax. But as I say above, there are other TB's that could very easily be argued to be better (DBC, EdGI, PDI).

Overall, I'd say your first thought should be the barrel, bucking, barrel spacers (can be DIY) and a slightly stronger spring. A 120sp MAX without upgrading sears etc...

Hope that helps,

Thanks,

Alex
              Trader Feedback:

Comment

Thanks Alex. If buying a non G-Spec VSR, I'll need to buy the TM Scope Mount Base to go with it.

How does the scope mount base attach to the standard VSR? Looking at the pictures of the gun, I can't see any screw holes for the mount to be attached to?

I've been trawling the For Sale Threads and noticed that every man and their dog has the G-Spec model over the standard VSR. What version are you currently using?

Ryan
                sigpic

Comment

Sorry for all the questions Alex, but I've just read that the bolt lift on the G-Spec is 60 degrees, which is less than the standard VSR, to avoid it catching on the fitted scope mount and making it easier to cock the rifle.

Would you say that this is an issue for a standard VSR fitted with scopes? Is the G-Spec noticably quicker and easier to cock?

I've read someone going on about the Laylax scope mount being favourable over the TM one due having a cut-out over the ejection port. What's your opinion on this feature and it's actual necessity or otherwise?

Also the Laylax apparently has both 11mm and 20mm capabilites for scope rings as opposed to the TM's 20mm one.....is there any real advantage here?

It has been said that the G-Spec is far easier to hear and locate without the silencer fitted? What's your take on this?

Finally, apparently the VSR's longer inner barrel gives it greater accuracy over the G-Spec......do you beleive that there's really much difference? If so, how much of a difference and why does everybody seem to favour the G-Spec then?

Thanks and sorry for being a pain.

Ryan
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Private Ryan View Post
                    Thanks Alex. If buying a non G-Spec VSR, I'll need to buy the TM Scope Mount Base to go with it.

How does the scope mount base attach to the standard VSR? Looking at the pictures of the gun, I can't see any screw holes for the mount to be attached to?

I've been trawling the For Sale Threads and noticed that every man and their dog has the G-Spec model over the standard VSR. What version are you currently using?

Ryan
                    No worries,

You will have to remove one or 2 screws from the receiver, but it definitely does fit on there, and it's easy to see how when you have them in-front of you.

I think most people get the G-Spec model due to the fact it looks better, and it comes with a silencer and scope mount as stock.

What am I using, I currently have these two rifles...

TM VSR-10 Real Shock (expanding foam filled stock):
                    -Laylax PSS10 150 Spring (dampened)
                    -Laylax 6.03 mm Tight Bore Barrel 555mm
                    -6x PDI Barrel Spacers
                    -Laylax PSS10 Teflon Cylinder
                    -Laylax PSS10 Zero Trigger (wrapped with high density foam)
                    -Laylax PSS10 Orange High Pressure Piston
                    -Laylax PSS10 Spring Guide
                    -Laylax PSS10 Cylinder Head
                    -KA Hard Air Seal Bucking (it recently tore, waiting for a new one)
                    -Laylax PSS10 Damper Pads
                    -PDI Fluted Bull Barrel Long
                    -KA Barrel Extension/Silencer
                    -Laylax PSS10 Bolt Leaver
                    -Karsten's Custom Cheak Rest
                    -D-Boys Harris Style Bipod
                    -KA 4.5-10x40 M3 Leupold Replica w/ 90mm sunshade

TM VSR-10 G-Spec:
                    -TM VSR G-Spec (expanding foam filled stock)
                    -TK Twist Barrel 403mm (with KA Silencer barrel extension)
                    -PDI Barrel Spacers x4
                    -Laylax PSS10 110sp
                    -Laylax PSS10 Red Piston
                    -Laylax PSS10 Sears
                    -Laylax PSS10 Cylinder Head
                    -Laylax PSS10 Damper Pads
                    -EA 4.5-10x40 M3 Leupold Replica w/ 40mm sunshade
                    -KA Harris Style Bipod
                    -DIY Cheek Rest
                    To be put in:
                    -Laylax PSS10 Teflon Cylinder

So as you can see, there is a lot you can do to them, and the one to go for really depends on what you are planning on doing to the rifle, how you will upgrade it etc...

Sorry for all the questions Alex, but I've just read that the bolt lift on the G-Spec is 60 degrees, which is less than the standard VSR, to avoid it catching on the fitted scope mount and making it easier to cock the rifle.

Would you say that this is an issue for a standard VSR fitted with scopes? Is the G-Spec noticably quicker and easier to cock?

I've read someone going on about the Laylax scope mount being favourable over the TM one due having a cut-out over the ejection port. What's your opinion on this feature and it's actual necessity or otherwise?

Also the Laylax apparently has both 11mm and 20mm capabilites for scope rings as opposed to the TM's 20mm one.....is there any real advantage here?

It has been said that the G-Spec is far easier to hear and locate without the silencer fitted? What's your take on this?

Finally, apparently the VSR's longer inner barrel gives it greater accuracy over the G-Spec......do you beleive that there's really much difference? If so, how much of a difference and why does everybody seem to favour the G-Spec then?

Thanks and sorry for being a pain.

Ryan
                    I never really noticed any interference with my older BAR-10 Pro, unless you put a HUGE scope on there, I'm sure it would be fine.

I don't see any advantage or disadvantage to the Laylax Scope Mount, I believe the cut out's only purpose to bring a sense of realism. I haven't noticed that the Laylax can take 11mm and 20mm scope rings (interesting), but 11mm doesn't really help unless you're planning on using an air-rifle scope (which have smaller fields of view).

The G-spec would only be slightly easier to hear without the silencer, the principle is ; the shorter the barrel the louder it gets.

Simply, the longer the barrel the more accuracy, and as said above, people usually go for the G-Spec (when using it stock) because it comes with a silencer and scope mount.

Hope that helps mate,

Alex (mj23lj)
                    Trader Feedback:

Comment

Alex, you have the patience of a saint mate......just when I (you and probably everyone else LOL) think that I have asked all the questions I can think of to cover every base, I read your knowledgable replies (which I totally appreciate and can't thank you enough for) and more questions pop into my head.

Firstly, both of your VSR's sound really sweet. Can you post up some pics of them for me please or tell em where existing photos of them might be located?

You said (way back at the start of this thread) that you've had 5 VSR's....If I was to say choose JUST ONE standard gun, which version would you choose, the VSR Pro, the G-Spec or the Real Shock and why?

If I was to then say, choose one to fully upgrade, would you still choose the same version?

Does the Real Shock actually do anything majorly different to the VSR Pro? It's the same price and I just wondered if it had any benefits or downsides as not many people seem to own one.

Looking at your specs, I'm particularly interested (and at the same time confused), as I thought the standard inner barrel lengths were 430mm for the VSR Pro and 330mm for the G-Spec, yet you have a 555mm inner barrel in your VSR Pro and a 403mm inner barrel in your G-Spec? Can you elaborate on this modification please?

I'm assuming that the extended inner barrels are hidden inside the KA silencers and if the silencer was removed, the inner would protrude noticably from the outer? Does that make both silencers only cosmetic then?

Based on you saying that simply the longer the barrel, the greater the accuracy, I'm assuming your reason for fitting the extended 555mm barrel to the VSR Pro was to improve it's accuracy........has it made much noticable difference?

Please forgive my ignorance, but why fit a 430mm inner barrel to the G-Spec, when the VSR Pro has that length as standard? Does the G-Spec really need the longer inner barrel to be as effective as the VSR Pro?

How has the 430mm barrell changed the characteristics, compared to the standard G-Spec? Is the silencer only cosmetic now, in which case can it still be classed as a G-Spec or just a VSR Pro?

New topic...what are your experiences of different TB barrel dimensions, 6.01mm, 6.03mm, 6.04mm etc? Just interested to see which gives the most consistency. I was thinking that if the BB's are 6mm, could say a really tight 6.01mm barrel be detrimental, or am I talking out my hoop and it would in fact be even better than a 6.03mm?

I really hope I'm not doing your (or anyone else's) head in, as I'm trying to do my research thoroughly, before I take the plunge and buy a VSR of some description. I'm still wishing to place most emphasis on having longer range and great accuracy over keeping quiet from shorter ranges. Ideally I'd like whichever version I choose to fulfill this requirement out of the box, as the modifications will no doubt take me quite some time to afford.

Thanks once again Alex.

Ryan

P.S. Any luck in writing up your previously mentioned guides still to come, i.e. "Gear & Suitable Load Out" - "Sniper Field Guide" - "Firing Tips", or are you too busy answering all of my questions? LOL
                      Last edited by Private Ryan; 24 February, 2009, 19:32. Reason: typo
                      sigpic

Comment

No worries mate, I'll do my best, here it goes...

Firstly, both of your VSR's sound really sweet. Can you post up some pics of them for me please or tell em where existing photos of them might be located?
                        I don't want to take up too much space, so here's 1 of each. The Wooden Stocked VSR is the Real Shock (that's an older picture with a shorter barrel)

You said (way back at the start of this thread) that you've had 5 VSR's....If I was to say choose JUST ONE standard gun, which version would you choose, the VSR Pro, the G-Spec or the Real Shock and why?
                        If I had to use the gun as stock (assuming it's equipped with a scope), then the Pro, simply because of the longer barrel i.e. better accuracy.

If I was to then say, choose one to fully upgrade, would you still choose the same version?
                        Really, my full upgraded Real Shock has had everything replaced apart from the stock, so it doesn't really make a difference, except for which stock do you prefer.

Does the Real Shock actually do anything majorly different to the VSR Pro? It's the same price and I just wondered if it had any benefits or downsides as not many people seem to own one.
                        The Real Shock has a wooden stock and comes with a weight attached to the Piston which gives it recoil (the weight can be removed though). Not many people like wooden stocks.

Looking at your specs, I'm particularly interested (and at the same time confused), as I thought the standard inner barrel lengths were 430mm for the VSR Pro and 330mm for the G-Spec, yet you have a 555mm inner barrel in your VSR Pro and a 403mm inner barrel in your G-Spec? Can you elaborate on this modification please?
                        The PDI Bull Barrel is longer than stock, allowing me to use a 555mm barrel. And for the G-Spec, I run the 430mm barrel into the barrel extension / silencer. I have modified the barrel extension / silencer so that it now has a barrel spacer inside it for support.

I'm assuming that the extended inner barrels are hidden inside the KA silencers and if the silencer was removed, the inner would protrude noticably from the outer? Does that make both silencers only cosmetic then?
                        The inner barrel for the Real Shock doesn't reach the silencer, so the silencer is functional. For the G-Spec the barrel does come a good 50-70mm from the outer barrel, but there is still a decent amount of silencer left to reduce sound

Based on you saying that simply the longer the barrel, the greater the accuracy, I'm assuming your reason for fitting the extended 555mm barrel to the VSR Pro was to improve it's accuracy........has it made much noticable difference?
                        Being honest I haven't had a chance to use the 555mm barrel yet as I'm waiting on my PDI receiver still, but I can say from reports of others using a 555mm, it does make a difference.

Please forgive my ignorance, but why fit a 430mm inner barrel to the G-Spec, when the VSR Pro has that length as standard? Does the G-Spec really need the longer inner barrel to be as effective as the VSR Pro?
                        The G-Spec barrel is not tapered allowing the use of more effective stock barrel spacers. It doesn't have to have a 430mm barrel, but like I said, the longer the barrel, the better the accuracy.

New topic...what are your experiences of different TB barrel dimensions, 6.01mm, 6.03mm, 6.04mm etc? Just interested to see which gives the most consistency. I was thinking that if the BB's are 6mm, could say a really tight 6.01mm barrel be detrimental, or am I talking out my hoop and it would in fact be even better than a 6.03mm?
                        I've used an EdGI 6.01 which was VERY good, a DBC 6.01 which I though wasn't that great actually, a UTG 6.04 which I thought was amazing, one of the top 3 I've used (but I think I got lucky there). My favorite 2 barrels so far would have to be my 430mm Laylax (hoping the 555mm will be even better), and at the top my TK Twist as it produces ridiculously good range with 330fps.

P.S. Any luck in writing up your previously mentioned guides still to come, i.e. "Gear & Suitable Load Out" - "Sniper Field Guide" - "Firing Tips", or are you too busy answering all of my questions? LOL
                        I'm working on them, but am quite busy at the moment - sorry for the huge delay.

Also, don't worry about asking question, all of them hopefully will help you, and could in future help someone else (which is the purpose of this thread).

I hope the above has helped,

Alex (mj23lj)
                        Trader Feedback:

Comment

hi i have put a pss10 130 spring in my jg bar 10 fired it several times and know i cant get it to cock it just fires as soon as i push the bolt back to cock it ,can some one please advise me what they think it is , i wish i hadnt started it know may sell it if the offers right
                          M4a1
                          M4 CQB
                          MP5 NAVY
                          TM DESERT EAGLE
                          GLOCK 17 HFC METAL SLIDE
                          JG BAR 10 G SPEC

Comment

Alex, as always, you're a credit to the forum and have been nothing but helpful and patient with me, explaining things in detail, which I'm sure will not only help me, but others too.

Your rifles both look amazing. I must say though that your Real Shock looks helluva long!! It must be a right pain lugging that around the woods and trying to swing the barrel through the undergrowth/bushes to acquire targets?

You mentioned that you've not been able to try out your 555mm Laylax barrel yet as you're awaiting a "PDI Reciever"........can you elabortae on what this part is and why it's necessary for the rifle? I thought the receiver was where the mag went?

Out of interest how much range are you getting accurately from both your rifles and what make and weight of ammo are you using?

What make and weight would you recommend for a standard VSR Pro?

Thanks once again.

Ryan
                            sigpic

Comment

ricky2910 - Are you still looking for help mate?

Private Ryan -

No worries bud, and thanks for the kind words...

It is very long, it's more for bigger, more open spaces. Where as the shorter one is for general and mid-range play.

The receiver is the part that the bolt slide inside of. Go onto Z1 and type "Smokey's Precision Aluminium Receiver" into the search bar - that's what the receiver is.
                              The reason for the PDI receiver, is because VSR trigger screw holes tend to strip out, and even quicker with higher fps set ups (and mine did), so I'm opting for a PDI receiver (much more robust).

Range and accuracy for both rifles: I'd say I could reach 300' with the Real Shock, but not accurately - I'd say 250-260' chest shots consistently.
                              The G-Spec reaches around 230ish range wise before it starts to bends off (when it does, it does it very badly). Chest shots at around 200-210' consistently.

As expressed before, I'm very happy with the TK Twist Barrel in my G-Spec, so when I go off to university at the end of this year and have to choose between the 2, I'll probably be selling the Real Shock.

Ammo wise, I use .36's and .43's with the Real Shock (460fps w/.2's), and .28's and .30's with the G-Spec (430fps w/20's).

For a standard VSR Pro, I'd say .25's would be fine.
                              Trader Feedback:

Comment

hey guys im fixing my old vsr

the thing used to slam fire like hell so i got a completly new set of sears and triger unit for it
                                it was workin fine for re zeroin scope . just had my mate over and it slam firing again .

help please

qoutin alex

Have you checked the piston? Pistons can wear down so that there isn't enough of a lip for the piston sear to catch.

Also, is the trigger unit on tight? If it's loose, the sears wont be making good contact.

Hope that helps so far,

Alex (mj23lj)

no alex the piston has plenty of lip so the sear can catch onto

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

mj23lj Find out more about mj23lj
                                Working...
                                X