lets talk germans, of the WW2 variety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lets talk germans, of the WW2 variety

Due to bordom and having to have a project on the go i've decided to do a WW2 loadout.

i looked into the soviets first, then the brits then the germans and then the yanks.

I found the soviets ww2 gear to be the hardest to come by and the most expensive, even the
    repo gear, plus the weapons on offer aren't great, mainly the PPsH which have too many
    problems with mags and getting extra mags.

The british gear is a hell of alot easier to come by, but again the lack of weapons, and
    expence was the turn off.

the Yanks are by far the easiest to put together, for the allied forces anyway, weapons and
    kits are out there, and several weapons too, but i just don't like the WW2 U.S look which
    brings me to zee germans...

i've decided to go with the germans, the clothing is super easy to come by, its relatively
    cheap and theres plenty of weapons on offer.

SO WW2 airsofters, and everyone else i suppose, tell me what you think of what i've come up
    with so far, this is a very basic list so advise and info please as this is my first venture
    into WW2 airsoft, something i've wanted to do for a long time, and since everything else kits
    wise is finished here we go!

so weapons first... wanted an STG44, but they're rare now, and mags are even harder to come by. i'm impressed with the new SRC gear out these days, so i've went with the SRC MP40.

getting myself the new SRC MP-40 gen 3 + 6 mags (about £350 in all)
    already have a kampt pistole, CAW made mini grenade launcher, which is cool.
    would like a side arm, first thing to mind is the lugar, but what else is out there...

clothing/BDU wise... i've went for mainly repo gear, its cheaper, and i don't have the worry
    of breaking, tearing it. oh and no plans for any insignia, only so far i can go as a fascist
    pig, and that would be to far, don't wanna piss of uncle joe too much.

Pea dot 44 tunic and trousers
    German smock (don't know what camo name it has, check out the picture below, i like it tho)
    M35 helmet + pea dot cover.

webbing...

webbing i'm struggling with, basically i've found 2 types, full Y-strap setup or a belt setup,
    neither i've ever really used, i come from a soviet/russian loadouts background, chest rigs
    all round!

i think in all honesty, to keep prices down i'll go for a belt set up so,
    leather german belt
    2 x mp40 mag pouches (for the 6 mags)
    german water bottle
    german bread bag (to hold extra BB's, batts, tool kit and usual airsoft crap)
    entrenchment tool

is this too much for a belt rig tho? will i need a full Y-strap? tbh this is all i need, it
    would be nice to have a gas mask canister, but everything on it i need for a shoot, except the
    entrenchment tool, but its a much i think, as i've never seen a german infantry man (games, movies,
    books and models) without one!

pictures of what i'm getting first off, the tunic and smock, the MP-40 + mags later this week (fingers crossed) when i'm paid.

URL=http://img229.imageshack.us/i/347558063tp.jpg/][/URL]

URL=http://img534.imageshack.us/i/drl1s504.jpg/][/URL]

the pictures are from the google, the pea dot set i'm getting is more of a tunic, no pockets on the front, and the helmet cover matches better.

so what you think?

Boris
    K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Re: lets talk germans, of the WW2 variety

If you put all that on yer belt, yes, you'll be needing the y-straps. TBH, it does complete the look, and as you are going without insignia, you'll need it to carry it off I reckon. As for sidearm, the lugers available are pretty terrible, but hey, they look cool!! You could go for a broom handled mauser, as the HFC one is pretty decent. It's a chunky bib bugger though, so may not be to your tastes. As for your smock, it's splinter ( I think), although I'm not sure what pattern. Boots are something to consider. If you go jackboots, be aware they can be sucked right off the foot when running through mud (near broke my feckin' knee doing that!!) and are (if fitted with horseshoe heel) terrible for grip on solid surface. Go with low boots and gaitors. Looks like a decent impression to me though!
    Life is a short warm moment, death is a long cold rest,
    you get your chance to try, in the twinkling of an eye,
    eighty years with luck or even less.

Comment

cheers,

i hadn't thought of boots, most pictures i've seen of germans in pea dot have the trousers loose, not tucked into their booties, so i was hopig to get away with my usual british jungle high boots as you'll only see a small part of them.

i'll have to look into boots...

Y-straps, do they come in different sizes as they're all leather, and no one puts up sizes, and how easy are they to play about with, i've always been one for comfort over reality tbh.

Boris

Comment

Last time someone talked about German uniforms from that era, I went off on one....With the SS etc....

But after the thread was closed er hum....I did some research and thought that actually the storm trooper field gear looks pretty good. You just have to look past the Black dress uniform we all associate with that era and look to the tunics. It is good looking camo.
        Gun tech.

AIRSOFTERS.........Load of Balls.!

http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...r-Offizier-M41

Comment

Y straps are one size mostly, and very easy to adjust. As for boots, your brit boots would be fine, just buy gaitors to cover the high top and you're sorted.
          Life is a short warm moment, death is a long cold rest,
          you get your chance to try, in the twinkling of an eye,
          eighty years with luck or even less.

Comment

kewl.

Boris

Comment

If you're wearing a smock do you really need the camo tunic? Or are you planning on alternating between smock and tunic for different seasons?

And if I may hijack your thread quickly. I'm having trouble keeping my belt buckle done up, when I run the combination of weight on the belt and the movement unlatches the buckle and everything falls off, y-straps and all! :P

Comment

As for the gas mask canister. Use it for a spare can of guess what? Insignia, if you dont want to go for SS or swastika markings still leaves you with a hell of a lot of choice. Gross deutchesland or an ordinary Heer regt.

Wound badges etc, or even an assault badge can break up the plainness of the uniform. No need for controversial markings and will still set off the look without offending many people.
                Feedback link

http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=33181

Comment

yeah, thanks, for the time being, and to cut the price of this kit down, i've opt'd out of the helmet and cover idea (£60 odd quid alone) and went for M43 Army Cap, good for the summer with the hottness, i like the tunic, and i'm geting the set, tunic and trousers for £40 odd quid just, which i thought was reasonible.

the webbing at the mo i'm still pressing on with the belt rig, but as the starting rig it will have the pouches, bread bag and water canister.

later the entrenchment tool, which i'm guessing is fairly heavy, so when i get it i'll get the Y-strap, then i'll sort out a helmet and cover for the autumn time.

i think so hopefully anyways...

oh , got the MP-40 and mags ordered tonight on the old credit card, pay it off in a few days when i get paid as my luck would have it, i'll go to get it in a few days and it'll be sold out!

it comes wednesday i do believe, tunic and smock end of week, and i might get special delivery, pay the extra, and get the webbing for the weekend and have the basics sorted for next sundays shoot...

Boris

Comment

The smock and the uniform you've posted up are from 2 different branches so don't really go together. The smock is a Heer (army) Sumpfmuster/tan & water pattern whilst the uniform is SS Pea dot. I'd recommend sticking with either one or the other as you might look a bit odd with both. The peadot uniform is made of HBT material so is designed for summer wear so there is no need for a smock as well for keeping cool- in winter it was worn over wools. You didn't often get both smocks and peadots worn together as the peadots replaced the smocks in production.

I think whatever kit you're carrying you're going to need Y-straps to hold it up. If there are no visible Y-straps in pictures its usually because internal suspenders are being used instead. These were mainly an early war item replaced by the Y-straps and Peadots can't use this system. if you're planning to wear peadots remember its the SS belt buckle you'll need to order.

Also insignia really should be worn on the M43 cap. Eagel & Totenkopf for Waffen SS. It was only camouflage kit that was devoid of insignia, although peadots usually had a SS eagle on the left arm.

Boots wise its probably best to stick with low boots as Ghost suggests. Jack boots aren't always the most practical. Plus they were uncommon by the time Peadot was widespread, mostly reserved for officers & NCOs plus a few elite units who could still get them. Gaiters with simple, non padded black leather boots is the best way to do it cheaply. Late wat high rolled socks were often used unofficially instead of gaiters but its best to try to hide as much of the boot as possible if they're not pukka and its usally the tops that give them away.

full Y-strap setup or a belt setup, neither i've ever really used,i come from a soviet/russian loadouts background, chest rigs all round!
                    You should do- the Soviet standard issue was belt & Y-straps until the end. They didn't even produce a chest rig until 1986!

And if I may hijack your thread quickly. I'm having trouble keeping my belt buckle done up, when I run the combination of weight on the belt and the movement unlatches the buckle and everything falls off, y-straps and all! :P
                    Which part comes undone, the hook or the prongs? Maybe you're wearing it too loose, or perhaps too low.

Comment

i ain't doing insignia, but i just won't.

thanks for the info tho.

boris

Comment

the Smock is called Stumpfuster 44, it came today and is awsome, and not too heavy so should be good for using in the summer.

Boris

Comment

is the smock as per your original post pic? looks real good.

i don't think you need to have 100% correct elements for your loadout - the idea isn't to have an exact historic replica, just something of that era(?)

i'm assuming that's your appraoch Boris(?)
                          h e y d r i c h
                          L T F S

tm ngrs scar l | tm ngrs ak102 | g&g arp556 | g&g arp9 | tm spas12 | we xdm | well mp7

Comment

Originally posted by heydrich View Post
                            is the smock as per your original post pic? looks real good.

i don't think you need to have 100% correct elements for your loadout - the idea isn't to have an exact historic replica, just something of that era(?)

i'm assuming that's your appraoch Boris(?)
                            YES!

pretty much, its a german loadout, built to look german, but usible in a skirmish.

as i said, its the first WW2 kit ive done, so over the next few months or so i can refine it.

Boris

Comment

ok,

so i've just ordered the webbing, i got...

long Y-strap
                              belt (its a german belt leather belt with a 2 prong buckle, thus no need for a belt buckle with nazi insignia)
                              2 x MP-40 pouches
                              water bottle
                              bread bag.

this is the base for the webbing and its as much as i can afford! when i get paid next month i'll get the entrenchment tool and maybe have a look about at other bits.

had to go for the Y-strap, spoke with the guys who sell it and they advised that the MP-40 pouches they have could go on a belt, but would sit at a 45 deegree angle.

so should be sorted by the weekend, although i'm have a bit of trouble getting the MP-40 due to ukara not being updated or site insurance not updated or something, should be sorted today fingers crossed.

Boris

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

kommissarboris Find out more about kommissarboris
                              Working...
                              X