Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero One Ads

Collapse

Socom Gear M82 Ver.1 Review(Picture Heavy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Socom Gear M82 Ver.1 Review(Picture Heavy)

• The First look at the price tag of this thing and you think....never...
      Then some of us look at this and just say....one day....well thats what i did.

• So just a bit of background about the Barret 50.cal, The M82 is a recoil-operated, semi-automatic anti-materiel rifle developed by the American Barrett Firearms Manufacturing. It is classed as a heavy SASR (Special Application Scoped Rifle), it is used by many units and armies around the world.
    • It is also Favoured for The long effective range of over 1,500 metres (4,900 ft)

About the Socom Gear M82
    • The Socom Gear M82A1, despite popular belief is actually based on the Barrett M107 which has the large RIS rail running along the top of the rifle to the barrel. The actual M82A1 has a small raised up scope mount and flip up Iron sights. This latter version is similar to the Hurricane Barrett.

• Socom gear prides itself as the only fully licensed manufacturer of the M82 and included with the rifle is a certificate of authentication by Ronnie Barrett himself. The up side of this is that they are allowed to have trademarks etc on the rifle body which add's to the authenticity of it.

the markings are quite Faint so i have tried to enhance the photo a bit so they stand out.

• The Rifle Itself is of 1:1 scale on the upper half but on the lower receiver the parts are slightly different "to comply with regulations"
      It is also constructed solely out of Reinforced Steel, which apart from sounding heavy...IS very heavy. It weighs in at around 22lb's which is around 10kg's give or take 0.2kg.

• The full steel construction also features the massive Replica Magazine which is also very heavy for a magazine.
      The magazine although looking like it could hold thousands of rounds is actually just a large shell around a Vietnam M4 magazine and holds a small 190 Rds.

• The carry handle, believe it or not will take the full weight of the rifle with no problems at all, so don't be worried about it breaking or bending etc as it really will take the weight.

• Just like on the real M107 there are markings along the top of the rail.
      I believe they are a way of measuring where your scope is but i don't actually know for sure.

• The Bi-Pod is very sturdy indeed, also completely steel. You are able to adjust the Bi-pod with a certain amount of ease, to several different heights. You are also able to detach it completely from the lower receiver if you didn't want to use it.

• There are two sling hooks at with end of the rifle but are on opposite sides. I am not sure how a sling would work with this setup but i am sure it is possible.

• To add to the realism of this rifle you are also able to pull the cocking leaver all the way back and this will reveal the internals. The barrel is also able to recoil but only when pushed. This is a new feature on the Socom Gear M82A2 but can be done with the Ver.1 too.

• I think this is what really makes the Barrett. It's the huge muzzle break on the end of the barrel, this is a sturdy bit of kit and isn't likely to snap of unless you had a tank drive over it. I believe it is removable but i haven't tested or tried this and i am not sure why you would want to.. ?

The Internals

• To take the Rifle apart there are Two pins, the first is located on the stock, and the second is just in front of the mag-well. Once you have removed these two pins you must slide the hopup forward and then tilt the back up and it will come free.

• Once you have taken the top reciever off you will see the gearbox and then the wiring to the battery, there is nothing else to it. in the top reciver there is the Huge CNC'd rifle breach and barrel assembly.

• the GearBox is what Socom call a standard M4/M16 version 2 gearbox. This makes the M82 very customisable gearbox wise! Also there is still a full auto selection on the gearbox as well as semi and safe.. this might annoy some people and it could make other people happy. I will let you decide.

• In the upper reciver you will find your hop-up, which is a "Standard M4/M16 Hop-up which is metal. This is very easy to change into a much higher quality one if needs be.
    • What i found when i was testing this rifle was it needed to be worn in a bit because to begin with it was all over the place.

• The barrel is a Madbull BlackPython 650mm tightbore Ver. II barrel which is a very nice barrel and gives you lots of accuracy. The only thing i have found is that you will need some barrel spacers as the Barrett doesn't come with any and you can hear the barrel moving around inside when your on the move sometimes... this is not great for accuracy as it will be hard to Zero your scope.

• Because the Socom Gear M82 is basically a huge steel shell around and M4 gearbox, there is tones of space for a Big battery. Even though it comes standard with a small conector you can buy a small to large convertor and put a huge battery in there.

Practicality
    • Now, i know most people complain about the weight, the size and the impracticalities of this BUT because this is so easy to take apart and put back together, there would be no problem to take this to bits when you take it skirmishing so it will fit in the boot of your car. When you do actually take it to bits it will be about as big as an M4 in length.

Summary

Right, Pro's and Con's

Pro's
    • Awesomeness...
    • Customisable
    • Range
    • Large battery Area
    • Auto function (for those who like that)
    • Authentic markings on the top rail and Body
    • Sturdy carry handle
    • Sturdy everything

Con's
    • Very Large
    • Very heavy
    • Has an auto function ( for those who don't like that)
    • Expensive

So, to sum this up....

Its a dream come true if you have ever wanted a true to life airsoft barrett. It is so solidly built that i don't think even the hulk would be able to bend it. Also the really nice craftsmanship of it, how it has a nice smooth surface rather than rough and horrible and made without any faults.

If you are looking for a project then this is also for you as it is very customisable. you could throw a lot of money at it and it would become a super Socom M82

But at the end of the day it really is great if you want to carry it around all day and want to use it to its full potential because that is the thing i find that most people have a problem with, that is the weight. Lots of people want one but it is just too heavy for them. Its not something you are gonna want to run distances with.

Thanks for reading my review, any questions please Pm me.

Ollie.
    sigpic

You're funny....I'm Gonna Kill You Last
    Originally posted by Kagedwolf
    I suppose your catchphrase would be "HEIL HITLER!"?
    Originally posted by Major
    well i doubt it comes under any copyright infringement!

Re: Socom Gear M82 Ver.1 Review(Picture Heavy)

Great review , thanks for taking the time to write such a indepth artical.

Nice one
    Ekke Ekke Ekke Ekke Ptang Zoo Boing Zow Zing

Comment

Just to add to this, I found that mine(although obviously not all came like this), my selectors the wrong way round. auto is safety and safety is auto.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave View Post
        Just to add to this, I found that mine(although obviously not all came like this), my selectors the wrong way round. auto is safety and safety is auto.

I did actually have a look on the interweb about this after you said and i found nothing on it.... you must be the only one!! You should feel proud !! :p
        Im sure someone on the forum will be able to help sort it out though!

Ollie.
        sigpic

Comment

Oh yay lucky me

and I dont know much about internals, but when I run mine around the barrel doesnt rattle, so Im guessin I have barrel spacers.

So maybe you have a unique one also?

Comment

Haha, well then, we are two proud owners of two unique M82's ?? :P
            sigpic

Comment

Seems it. Although I bet every owner of one has found something "unique" about theirs

Did you find that you needed washers for the screws that attach the butt plate? I find that Ican simply pull it off without em.

Comment

Yea that true! I didn't find that i needed washers although i haven't really paid much attention to the rear of the gun just as yet....now you have said that i will go and check it out!!

EDIT: Just checked it and no, i don't have that problem but it is very loose. i will attempt to tighten it up in due course!!
                sigpic

Comment

no no no dont tighten it up. According ti reveiws online if you tighten it up too much the rubber gets worn away and the butt plate ends up coming right off.

Comment

Ahhh !!! ok ok!! no tightening will be done! i will just leave it loose
                    sigpic

Comment

Hi.....

If anyone feels that they would like to relinquish themselves of their M82 then please let me know. Cash / PayPal awaits and I'll give a damn good price :D

Many thanks

Comment

Hmmm as I too am a Barrett owner I shall now be checking mine for these issues so thanks for this guys much appreciated. For mine I have also bought the rear monopod from a certain HK retailer and have replaced the internals with a marui motor and systema gearbox and hop unit.

Also I've had the full auto feature disabled and as I personally am not a fan of Hi caps I dismantled the mags and replaced them with G&P midcaps, however these may get replaced with marui's soon as the G&P's struggle to feed the last few rounds.

Im hoping to test the new set up in the next couple of weeks but it was suggested that I might see better performance with a systema tightbore barrel that was for the PSG1. So will see how it goes and that might be an option for the future.
                        Sarge: We're not retreating! We're advancing toward future victory!

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

ollie2435 Find out more about ollie2435
                        Working...
                        X