Thread: UK blank firing pistol laws

Post Thanks / Like

Default UK blank firing pistol laws

Hi guys.

I am looking at importing a blank firing revolver (not two-tone, essentially a blank firing rif - I am UKARA registered), there is no problem with the website in the US sending the gun (by FedEx) to the UK. The only part they couldn't clarify were the specifics of the laws in the UK, and whether customs would seize/destroy it. Now I have had a bit of search on the web, and most of what I found was speculation.

So, is anybody able to tell me what the exact details of the UK gun law relating to blank firing pistols and the importation of them?

cheers in advance,

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: UK blank firing pistol laws

Pretty sure that if it vents through the barrel then you're looking at 5 years in the clink.
    Bring back UK pistol shooting: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/62588

Post Thanks / Like

Through the barrel is very illegal and very dangerous.

Post Thanks / Like

I know the Olympic starting pistol is a gun very high on the radar as its easily convertered to fire live ammo, this made them prohibited weapons under Section One of the Firearms Act 1982, and sections one and five of the 1968 Firearms Act, thus making them illegal to possess, supply or transfer within the UK. There is a mandatory five-year prison sentence for the possession of such a firearm. Thats just the Olympic though...
    I wouldn't count on customs letting it through to be honest. Why don't you ring up and talk to them 1st???

The Unit-13 Vipers are Recruiting
    Like us on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Uni...92968847384478
    UK Airsoft Wiki Moderator

Post Thanks / Like

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsP...E_PROD1_025576

Just found this. Front venting is definitely illegal, although it would seem like blank firers are able to be imported, given i have a defence to the vcra act.

I will give customs a buzz tomorrow for confirmation.

Post Thanks / Like

I always remember hearing that if they vent through the top of the barrel it was ok...again though this is speculation. Best bet is to give them a ring.
    Get it right roon ye!

Post Thanks / Like

top venting is fine

Post Thanks / Like

Looking for any blank firing guns in particular?

These are meant to be 'UK Specification':

http://www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com/Blank_Firers.html

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Apurturesci View Post
    Looking for any blank firing guns in particular?

These are meant to be 'UK Specification':

http://www.plugfirecapgunsuk.com/Blank_Firers.html
    I had seen that, but I would rather just be able to buy blanks, and not have to worry about the shells during a skirmish, plus I do have my eye on a particular revolver, which is quite cheap. If it turns out I am not able to import said gun, i may have to resort to these.

Post Thanks / Like

My Glock top vents, and they are near on impossible to get hold of, the best and cheapest way is catch the ferry to france, visit a gun shop, and bring one back.

Post Thanks / Like

Can you use a blank firing gun in an airsoft skirmish?!! If someone shot one at me, god knows what my reaction would be!! :s lol
    Signature Removed

Post Thanks / Like

Yes you can. Normally they are about the same loudness, maybe slightly more quiet than blank grenades, so not excessive.

Anyone firing one directly at someone, top venting or not, is a tit. If i were to fire it to effect a "BANG" kill, it would be in the air or towards the ground (whichever would be safest), away from both parties

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cornishpotshot View Post
    Yes you can. Normally they are about the same loudness, maybe slightly more quiet than blank grenades, so not excessive.

Anyone firing one directly at someone, top venting or not, is a tit. If i were to fire it to effect a "BANG" kill, it would be in the air or towards the ground (whichever would be safest), away from both parties
    Fair enough, as long as it wasn't pointed at anyone, I would make a point of informing all players that you had one though, just to avoid anyone going into autopilot survival mode!

I'd still sh@t my pants - especially at bang kill range! lol
    Signature Removed

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NitroJoe View Post
    Fair enough, as long as it wasn't pointed at anyone, I would make a point of informing all players that you had one though, just to avoid anyone going into autopilot survival mode!

I'd still sh@t my pants - especially at bang kill range! lol
    Well just imagine me charging across the bridge at exeter, fire a few shots in the air, might be able to keep peoples heads down long enough for me to make some progress!

Well you'd do the same with a grenade to be fair.

Post Thanks / Like

Well just imagine me charging across the bridge at exeter, fire a few shots in the air, might be able to keep peoples heads down long enough for me to make some progress!

Well you'd do the same with a grenade to be fair.
    I'm not critisizing, I meant it would be a good way to `BANG` kill, and people would jump a mile when it went off. I doubt you'd get many challenges as to whether you got the kill. I havent got a problem with it at all the way you intend to use it.

My point was more that, if I heard a loud bang behind me, turned around and saw a smoking revolver pointing at me, I'd probably think my number was up! lol

I'd rather know someone had one in advance. That way I wouldn't be forced to disarm you / in reality, beg for my life infront of a group of skirmishers who knew the score score
    Signature Removed

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point, well made!

If I do get one, I'll demonstrate it before a game, just so people know what they are in for.

Post Thanks / Like

Fair point, well made!

If I do get one, I'll demonstrate it before a game, just so people know what they are in for.
    Your call, I'll be aware you might have one now, so hopefully I can avoid crying like a girl

Would be interested to see what you get, if it works for you I might consider something similar - make bang kills, BANG kills! :D
    Signature Removed

Post Thanks / Like

Just got a reply from customs :

"Re: Importing a Blank Firing Pistol from the USA to the UK

Thank you for your email dated 20th December 2010.

It is an offence under the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2007 to import a realistic imitation firearm to the UK. A Realistic Imitation Firearm is defined in section 38 of the Violent Crime Reduction Act 2007 as an imitation firearm which has the appearance that is so realistic as to make it indistinguishable, for all practical purposes, from a real firearm.

The VCRA 2007 has some inbuilt statutory defences one of which is if the importation is for purposes of making the item available for a permitted activity. Such as, the organisation and holding of permitted activities for which public liability insurance is held in relation to liabilities arising from or in connection with the organisation and holding of those activities. This defence can apply to individual airsoft players provided that they can demonstrate if challenged by an enforcement officer, that they are a member of a recognised airsoft organisation and that the organisation is suitably insured.

Therefore, your package should not be detained providing that in addition to the Customs Declaration the supplier also includes documentation proving that you the recipient have an allocated UKARA reference number and are covered by public liability insurance.

Import Duty and VAT are payable on most items purchased from outside the European Union and imported in to the UK. Import Duty is charged upon the purchase price of the goods, plus the freight and insurance costs. VAT is then charged upon the purchase price, the costs and the Duty payable.

The rate of Import Duty varies depending upon the specifics of the items in question.
    Import Duty is not charged if the purchase price of the item is £135 or less.
    The standard rate of VAT is 17.5%, rising to 20% in 2011."

so apparently it can be done, just provided I have the right paperwork.

Edit: this assumes that the pistol in question is UK legal, ie non front venting ect
    Last edited by cornishpotshot; 23rd December, 2010 at 13:03. Reason: adding info