Tokyo Marui PX4 Storm review

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tokyo Marui PX4 Storm review

Well everyone wants it, so here it is! first on zeroin!

So a tad of history

Beretta wanted a epic pistol, the end.

Right onto the airsoft gun

Ill split this down in to categories and then score it on its own merits.

In the box
    Materials
    Looks
    Feel
    Performance
    Accessories etc

So lets get started!

In the box:
    Well of course you get the gun, pretty manuals and other documents including some targets asual, you also get your trial bb's which unlike every yank will say on youtube because they follow bandwagons yes they are fine to use in the gun and i suspect they are 0.20 gram TM bbs, you also which is nice get a space for a spare mag so you can use it as a case for a while like i will be, also get 2 spare magazine followers which again is really good of TM so a just in case which is very grateful in deed.

Materials:
    Like the real steel version of this weapon it features, well no steel at all, its a polymer wonder through and through although the real steel does have metal inserts for obvious reasons, Ill tell you straight, this PX4 does not feel cheap, nor does it look cheap, the "plastic" conforms to your hands comfortable with no rough edges, it certainly does not feel like the typical ABS plastic, especially on the lower frame of the gun, I did notice however a seem line thats to be expected and i was really inspecting the gun to see it at the time.

The slide well top half was the only bit to me that felt like ABS but to be fair you wont touching the sight channel well will you? so no problem there, their is metal on the gun of course, the hammer, trigger, sights, safety/decocker (not 100% sure on this as its a bit 50/50) are all on the externals side of things that metal and then its the usual affair on the inside for TM.

Overall: 9/10 really nice material close to that of the real steal weight as well you will pick it up and smile, kinda like a lot of people who handled it, did among other things.

Looks:
    Well ive always loved the px4 since its release in 2004 for its futuristic yet reasonable looks, nothing too space age but has the identity to me that of a colt 1911, you could be forgiven that it does look like a fat walther ppk as some people pointed out today, but im not sure why but the px4 has a identity an iconic look that some other pistols dont, once people catch on about the px4 (not the most raved about pistol, quite a quiet one) im sure it will be an icon.

TM's trademarks are..very clever actually, it features a beretta looking logo on the frame instead of arrows if you look close its a sword with shields on instead of arrows with circles but seriously looks identical from a distance, hell youll be holding the thing anyway but its a nice touch, features PX4 custom instead of storm around the gun which is well a shame for some but i dont care, also has the caliber of the gun on the rotating barrel as well (9 para)

What is interesting is that there is three sets of serial numbers on the gun reading px16244 one on the slide , one on the rotating barrel, one under the frame on the RIS block, now I dont know if this is the same number for everyone but its cool it has matching serial numbers.

Unfortunately it does have the lame AGSK markings as well on the gun and read manual before use but you dont notice it unless your so anal during a skirmish you carry a magnifying glass to inspect for dirt, also features the same marking on the slide

"Warning, Retract slide to see if loaded, fires without magazine" same with real steel.

Sights it uses a 2 dot rear site that isnt glowing im afraid and a one dot post up front, it does the trick! and their removable.

Overall: biased but 10/10 i love the gun wanted it since i first saw it.

Feel:
    in a nutshell awesome, comfortable, quick, handy and the controls are in reachable places as well, only gripe is the safety, easy to decock and engage safety but not so putting it into battery again you have to either do it with your off hand or turn the gun slightly so you can get more press on the thing to push it up again, slide release is in a perfect place and sits right next to you so you can easily operate that if your right handed, as only the safety is ambidextrous, what is nice TM provide 2 extra backstraps which will fit the largest or the smallest of hands with ease, i didnt think they would make a difference but really they do.

Overall: 8/10 only the safety letting it down!

Performance:
    Wasnt going to do this review until its first skirmish so i can give a battle report, and all i caa say is...holy crap, the noise and kick from this thing is insane, ive scared kids near me with it, and it kicks rather hard as well i cant compare it to anything really but it does certainly kick.

The range on this thing is outstanding, due to the cold a bit less power so 0.25 gram bbs werent doing me justice only barely reaching the 30m mark (confirmed at range) however with 0.20 gram on green gas the thing is fantastic in the cold, I got a confirmed kill at 45 ish meters today and It made me smile.

The hop up it certainly works but confused me from the norm, its like its reversed, since its inside the gun now so you can adjust on the fly the hop was already on the max and with 0.25 gram bbs i thought mm is the hop on, turned it all the way opposite and the bbs were face planting the floor before 20 meters, so its a funky design but it works and stays where it is which is good considering its taking the brunt of the kick.

Magazines hold 25 rounds each and I had some teething issues with mine, seemed the bb would get stuck ever so slightly at the top, however it wasnt a problem once the mag was full with 25 rounds and i blasted and blasted so i was a tad confused but hey ho more use the better it will become.

Today was cold, about 1-5 degrees during the day and it was performing amazing, guys with their pistols were flopping yet i was getting 3 mags full off one proper charge of propane in the afternoon, i was getting about 1 and a half in the morning when it was cold, this thing rocks in the cold it really does, when you fill the mags though it makes a lot of noise and holds A LOT of gas so i filled it till it started pissing out white steam then i was happy, but no leaks no problems even in the cold no venting either.

Fps reading i didnt get sadly however i reckon about 320 fps today on green and 0.20 gram bbs.

Overall: 9/10 , some teething issues but overall..awesome

Accessories/Conclusion:
    There are holsters available for the gun, i got a fobus evolution holster that has passive retention and no problems! once you get used to drawing it the gun wont go no where and it looks damn cool as well, but serpas are available as well if you can find it, suppressor wise i have no idea at this point the gun is too new and i havnt seen any adaptors, magazines are readily available as well at £25 a pop.

So overall was it worth the money? well i scared kids, got 45 meter kill all in its first day of skirmishing, SO YES! its worth the money, its just a cool pistol, concealed too under a 5.11 agressor parka which i found humorous and bad ass, but for the noise, the kick and the performance for a pistol, outstanding, in the summer this gun will dominate.

OVERALL GUN SCORE 10/10 it works, it looks good, it feels good, their is support for the gun, and it shoots fantastic, this is a stepping stone for TM and its a good one.

BUY IT!
    Last edited by LtPurcy; 2 January, 2011, 22:29.

Re: Tokyo Marui PX4 Storm review

Good review.. Pretty pictures please

Comment

there in the px4 thread! but ill get some of the inside etc and the markings if you guys want em

Comment

Good review lt percy

Comment

surprised you guys can read it but thanks.

Comment

Heres some macro images of the gun, dont take notice of every light particle that it managed to pick up in the flash :/

Comment

I was about ready to import a USB Tactical from HK but after reading this review I think you may have just changed my mind Purcy. Great review and I think I may put an order in for one of these.
              Democracy: Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
              Liberty: A well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

TM M4 CQB-R SOPMOD, WE M1911 SILVER x2, KJW MK1, KWA USP .45, KWA MP9 (soon)

Comment

Nice PX4 'Custom' you have there

Comment

Its the shame TM cant get rights guns for the guns

but to be honest im not anal about trades, they got some similar so im happy!

Comment

Its the shame TM cant get rights guns for the guns

but to be honest im not anal about trades, they got some similar so im happy!
                    Yep, it's a shame. I'm so tempted to get this, but I still like the older Berettas. The PX4 is pretty much just a newer Cougar.

Comment

Yeah px4 is basically berettas pistol history best of every type of pistol they have made n mashed em together!

police forces that use it so it has to be good

Comment

Yeah px4 is basically berettas pistol history best of every type of pistol they have made n mashed em together!
                        As I said, the cougar is identical in a lot of features. It has the rotation barrel, same (kind of) look, size and the same placement of decocker ect.

Comment

I do like 8000 series berettas i was going to get one a while ago for its rotating barrel etc.

cool stuff

Comment

Does the rotating barrel actually do anything? :-/ Or it there simply because it's on the real one?
                            Democracy: Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
                            Liberty: A well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

TM M4 CQB-R SOPMOD, WE M1911 SILVER x2, KJW MK1, KWA USP .45, KWA MP9 (soon)

Comment

Does the rotating barrel actually do anything? :-/ Or it there simply because it's on the real one?
                              That. On the real one it supposedly reduces felt recoil and increases accuracy.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

LtPurcy Im awesome Find out more about LtPurcy
                              Working...
                              X