Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taclights: Strobe or not?

Hi guys

Obviously before using a strobe in any game you should check that nobody suffers from epilepsy or is sensitive to flashing lights.

With that out of the way, what do you guys think is more effective in room clearance, flashing strobe lights or steady light.

And i'd prefer reply's from people who've experienced or used both rather than those just speculating.

Re: Taclights: Strobe or not?

"Strobing" is an attempt to temporarily blind your opponent. One step too far for airsoft I feel.

When I see them at my local CQB it's the same feeling I get with people who use lasers to try and gain an advantage.

Comment

I don't personally think it's one step too far - after all, why use thermobarics in the dark when a mk3 thunderflash will do?

I like using my strobe for room clearance - not as a general search light or in big areas though. The advantage of a strobe is that the other person will not be able to focus on the light and their depth perception to the strobe is almost nil. Also, they will usually have to look away giving you the extra second to get them.

I, personally, only use it when I clear small rooms and then I'm looking for a bang kill, not to lace them up at close range. I think they're great if used well :-)

Comment

I've never actually played at a site that allows them. I think most sites don't want to risk anyone with undiagnosed epilepsy having a fit or something.
        TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

That's all very good, now say I'm in the room too.

Soon as you enter I turn on my hundred million strobe on too. Now we both blind having a disco....

I thought I was turning up to shoot some people!

Comment

I personally feel if used correctly they are awesome. If not it's kinda pointless
            sigpic

Comment

Personally as someone that is sensitive to flashing lights, in that they give me migraines instantly, I dont think they should be allowed.

As stated above, even people that haven't had any trouble with flashing lights in the past can have fits and stuff out of the blue.

I can understand the tactical advantage, but for the purposes of airsoft I dont think they should be used.

I've never had anyone ask if they are ok to use a strobe torch at the safety briefing and then I've been on the end of them a couple of times, not a nice experience for me.

I know I might be the exception here, but I think safe rather than sorry is always the best way.
              It will take less bullets to kill him now than if we wait for him to turn into a zombie.

The elderly. They seem nice enough, but can they really be trusted ?

Comment

they only way i could see a point is if it was only being used to disorientate people, but then a grenade can have the same effect although a torch is cheaper (in the long run atleast) but its all about health and safety at then end of the day. as said what if someones an undiagnosed epilieptic
                Originally posted by ste887
                yes but multicam is the new black
                and black is the new gay

Comment

I dont see the point really... Ive never seen one used, then again I dont play a lot of CQB as theres hardly any CQB sites near me! D: Personally Id just chuck a grenade/flashbang or two into the room first, thatll do a much better job than your piffly little strobe torch.

Comment

Originally posted by Four Leaf View Post
                    Personally as someone that is sensitive to flashing lights, in that they give me migraines instantly, I dont think they should be allowed.

As stated above, even people that haven't had any trouble with flashing lights in the past can have fits and stuff out of the blue.

I can understand the tactical advantage, but for the purposes of airsoft I dont think they should be used.

I've never had anyone ask if they are ok to use a strobe torch at the safety briefing and then I've been on the end of them a couple of times, not a nice experience for me.

I know I might be the exception here, but I think safe rather than sorry is always the best way.

I agree with the man above i sometimes suffer from the same thing, airsoft is a game and nothing more, i personally like to put the speed down to trigger responce rather than the bloke in the corner having a fit and then you lace him up not knowing this :/think about it before you stick one on your gun and run around like disco stu!

Comment

At the end of the day there is no need to run the risk of giving some one an epicyclic fit (because alot of people don't know they have it) or have them have another adverse reaction to it when it is much simpler to buy a Element Scout light.

It is so bright that if you were to enter a dark room with it anyone looking at it would (unless they have massive self restraint) look away with in a second, and even then they would be dazzled and have no night vision.

Besides if you are playing urban by a BFG and throw it into the room first, much more entertaining

Comment

I use it, but I always ask at the safety brief if I'm allowed

Comment

Originally posted by jagillham View Post
                          That's all very good, now say I'm in the room too.

Soon as you enter I turn on my hundred million strobe on too. Now we both blind having a disco....

I thought I was turning up to shoot some people!
                          Woop woop sounds fun! :-p

Seriously though, some people have raised some good points and maybe I'll think twice about using it next time I place CQB!

Comment

AS someone with epilepsy, I'd kindly ask that you don't, unless you want to see my rendition of 'The Worm' straight across the floor.

You can't be sure that the people in there aren't photosensitive, so probably best to air on the side of caution...

'course, you could always draw up a disclaimer; I'll get you started:

"I have been made aware that the use of strobe disorientation devices may be used during the game.
                            I agree to the use of these devices and can confirm to my knowledge that I do not suffer from photosensitive epileptic seizures.
                            I understand that in the event I do suffer a seizure, I will promptly be placed in a bath of water at 40 degrees centigrade, and give permission for the OpFor's dirty washing to be thrown in.... Along with a Persil tablet"

Not copyrighted by the way.
                            Originally posted by andre the giant
                            ...most of us like a balance of shooting and drinking tea.

Comment

ive seen them used at bexley...the person was on my team...and it was really effective in preventing the other team from making any progress...but it also stopped me from being productive as it simultaneously totally disorientated myself
                              VICTORIA CONCORDIA CRESCIT

LOOKING FOR: S&W N-frame holster
                              trader feedback http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/itrader.php?u=5191

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

plainlazy44 Find out more about plainlazy44
                              Working...
                              X