Taclights: Strobe or not?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taclights: Strobe or not?

Strobes, I've been on the reciving end of a stobe and its works so well. The guy entered the room turned on the strobe and killed us all with out any of us knowing where he was lol. The problem with a steady light is that it works both ways, you can see the room but people just shoot towards the light.
    Airsoft Social - Founder

Comment

Originally posted by Four Leaf View Post
      Personally as someone that is sensitive to flashing lights, in that they give me migraines instantly, I dont think they should be allowed.

As stated above, even people that haven't had any trouble with flashing lights in the past can have fits and stuff out of the blue.

I can understand the tactical advantage, but for the purposes of airsoft I dont think they should be used.

I've never had anyone ask if they are ok to use a strobe torch at the safety briefing and then I've been on the end of them a couple of times, not a nice experience for me.

I know I might be the exception here, but I think safe rather than sorry is always the best way.
      +1

Been on the end of one and found it more annoying than anything else. Being someone who's suffered seizures in the past - it's not something nice to go through.

I don't think they should be allowed to be used as a seizure can result even in someone who's never had one before (as someone already pointed out) and where I play, there's never ones been a mention of this in any of the briefings.
      Democracy: Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch.
      Liberty: A well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

TM M4 CQB-R SOPMOD, WE M1911 SILVER x2, KJW MK1, KWA USP .45, KWA MP9 (soon)

Comment

I'm not totally against them but another problem I can see is that they disorientate people. lots of cqb sites have obstacles, stuff lying around etc. if you disorientate someone they may end up hitting a wall, window, tripping onto stuff on the floor (nails)

I like charging round everywhere so I know I would probably go straight through a window or something
        TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

So to conclude, used correctly they can be a highly effective tactical asset in CQB, but most people feel we should leave it for the Real World when things get serious, not shooting your mate when you go to Urban...
          Goes by the callsign "Iceman" to avoid confusion with the entire Delta team...

Originally posted by Grounded_Pilot
          ...changed my mind.

Putting a BB in a silencer then using it as a blowpipe. that's the best.
          a whole 85fps!

Comment

Having been on the receiving end, I was quite impressed at how effective it was.

As for the strobe causing a fit, it is not much different from entertainment strobes, and there are strict guidelines on what strobe rate to use, from memory any thing faster than 10hz has a high likelihood of causing problems and should not be used, below 10hz, the chances of them causing problems becomes very low.

Considering we quite happily throw 9mm bfg's, thermos and mk5's into dark rooms, I don't see how a safe rate strobe would be more risky.

Later daze

Lee

Comment

my local cqb site UCAP, asks in the briefing if anyone suffers epilepsy or using a strobe torch, as its a very dark site

but also cree torches have a strobe effect when the batteries run low

Comment

Mines the same, they ask and now people are all starting to say they do (epilepsy)if they have no illumination for themselves.

CREE strobes give massive advantages in Cqb and i am a big fan.
                The only counter measure is a stronger single beam or dont look. tee hee.
                Any light that will strobe should allow quick change to beams in any of many power setting mine will instantly swap from strope to tac light 10% beam, then mid and then full before strobing again.

At the end of the day it is a more than valid aid to distraction, no dif than a flashbang, pyro, gas grenade etc. Any body who turns round and instantly say's "People go round blinding other with them", well is correct, thats its function.
                That and they are way jealous as you have an instant advantage over them. There are moments when people are in your face with them but this is airsoft and when arent you? especially in cqb and my pressure switch is on my trigger so it's a bb or volly) to the chest and blindness.

On a serious note like with pyro and others, if people are prown to becoming ill from any effect that a strobe or anything gives, that has to be taken into account and its use stopped. an indivduals health is more important and this is a bit of fun/sport.

So i would way it up see whats happening at your site and then decide, mine can disorientate/blind and be a menace on full beam so strobing not really much of an issue, the other factor is a decent mil-spec will cost a fortune and bulbs are not cheap
                Last edited by WhilskyUK; 16 January, 2011, 16:31.
                Never Really Got that: BOOM ha ha Big 50

Comment

i am split over strobes,
                  until seeing this thread i wasnt aware so many people were against them. ive been on the recieving end of them and tbh didnt think it was any biggy, they didnt ask in the briefing either to use them which now after reading about it i think it should be more important than the rules over pyros.
                  another thought i have is why are people so against these, when some go on and on and on about realism, ROF, midcaps etc increasing realism when in real life strobes would be used in the same senarios?

one thing i was wondering also is, when the two people above said they give you migrains, what is the effect that the migraine has on you?
                  Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

Originally posted by balaclava ben View Post
                    i am split over strobes,
                    until seeing this thread i wasnt aware so many people were against them. ive been on the recieving end of them and tbh didnt think it was any biggy, they didnt ask in the briefing either to use them which now after reading about it i think it should be more important than the rules over pyros.
                    another thought i have is why are people so against these, when some go on and on and on about realism, ROF, midcaps etc increasing realism when in real life strobes would be used in the same senarios?

one thing i was wondering also is, when the two people above said they give you migrains, what is the effect that the migraine has on you?

+1 to you good comments, (Defend the strobe) tee hee except no way is a strobe more important than pyro for a safety brief, a strobe cant take your fingers off
                    Never Really Got that: BOOM ha ha Big 50

Comment

Originally posted by WhilskyUK View Post
                      +1 to you good comments, (Defend the strobe) tee hee except no way is a strobe more important than pyro for a safety brief, a strobe cant take your fingers off
                      tell that to someone who has an epileptic fit! or someone who gets disorientated and runs into a wall or something at full speed

I'm not against them wholly but there are problems with them
                      TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

I guess that's debatable but having witnessed people having fits, I could see alot of damage happening if unlucky. Considering the effort it would take to mention them (I know, they've often got enough things to say but meh) I'd say it's worth it to make sure both users and those subjected to them are aware.

Tom
                        sigpic

Comment

a good friend of mine used to suffer from epileptic fits, and i am aware of just how much of an effect they can have on someone. from what ive learnt about people who have experienced them i would much rather be burnt by a flashbang tbh! (which i have experienced haha!)
                          still wondering to what extent these are giving people migrains
                          Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

i think like everything they have a place in airsoft. weather that be simple fun games or milsim they have a place.

i wonder how many of you have shot some ones face or caused a bruise.
                            its all the same thing playing airsoft is a risk but it is one your willing to accept. im all for strobes,

some one could have a heart attack after hearing a MK5 going off no one seems to worry about that but as soon as people start using equipment thats flashes in the dark theres an issue?
                            sigpic

Comment

Strobes are utter bo**ocks!

THE most anoying thing in CQB night games ever. And behind non hit takers, the 2nd reason i dont go to my local CQB site on game evenings. I hate them, used every poxy game and used in a way that its pretty much your only way out, then they "camp" behind it.

Yeah we all like mid caps and semi auto fire for realism, but then even a 90-130 round mid cap and being able to rattle off 6-7 rounds semi auto keyholing each shot is still utterly unrealistic!

Realism with fun built in is what i think is the best type of airsoft, strobes are just pants, they anoy the living hell out of the people they are used against and i then aim for the strobe in the hope i might smash it with a decent lucky hit.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_boy85 View Post
                                Strobes are utter bo**ocks!

they anoy the living hell out of the people they are used against .
                                isnt that the point ?
                                sigpic

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

plainlazy44 Find out more about plainlazy44
                                Working...
                                X