X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taclights: Strobe or not?

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf View Post
    isnt that the point ?
    In a real situation yes, not getting shot with a super hot lump of super sonic lead from some gimps gun is always nice. . . For people who have paid money to have a fun day out, no. I dont go airsoft to be a jumped up wannabe SAS badass and shout abuse at people, i go to have a laugh, hve fun and enjoy myself. All of which are removed when going against some jumped up non hit taker with a strobe.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny_boy85 View Post
      I dont go airsoft to be a jumped up wannabe SAS badass and shout abuse at people
      i dont know where you play, but i thought this is what airsoft is all about

i go to have a laugh, hve fun and enjoy myself. All of which are removed when going against some jumped up non hit taker with a strobe.
      pretty sure the use of a strobe is not directly related to someone not taking their hits...

you've obviously had a different experience with the use of strobes as i seriously don't think they are bad! for me, they add that extra little dimension to the game which i enjoy. theres no denying a large part of airsoft is military simulation even if its not a 'milsim day' surely in a real senario if someone used a strobe against you, you would just try your best to better them using other skills you have?
      Team Ballin' - "It sounds dirty because it is"

Comment

i go to have a laugh, hve fun and enjoy myself. All of which are removed when going against some jumped up non hit taker with a strobe.

i go for fun as well, and nothings funnier than getting behind the 'jumped up non hit taking strobe user' thats what tactics are for and a BGF LOL

Comment

Originally posted by kejot View Post
          i go for fun as well, and nothings funnier than getting behind the 'jumped up non hit taking strobe user' thats what tactics are for and a BGF LOL
          basically what i was trying to say hahha!

Comment

Originally posted by kejot View Post
            GRANTED! But still, when you see the player who owns it and bam, on goes the strobe, every game, without fail. . . becomes very old very quickly.

Up against it for the first time was great, it was new and required some new tactics etc, but every game, every time you get held up somewhere, gets old very quickly.

WARNING. Post may contain traces of sarcasm. If you do not understand this, I pity your existence.

Comment

Someone has asked what effect the strobes have on me, well I can give you a full debrief

It started about 3 years while out in a club enjoying myself and the strobes started, I got a very sharp pain in my eye that stopped about 30 seconds after the strobe did. I didn't think anything of it, until it happened again and gradually the pain in my eye started in both eyes then it got worse. It felt like something exploding in the middle of my eye.

I went the opticians and had a check up and he told me that I've become sensitive to flashing lights through general poor eye health. Just one of them things :/

But as my eyes have got worse, the aches got worse and its near instant migraines. It feels like a spike shooting from my eye up to my head, where it then feels like a firework exploding and I just want to sit in a very dark room and feel sorry for myself.

As I said before, I appreciate that they give people a tactical advantage and such, but as they can affect people in the way they can I'd like to think people could leave them at home.

And I also think that MK3 pyros should be the limit in CQB, as a BFG while fun, is overly loud, but this doesn't bother me personally, but I can see where people might not like BFG's being used in a room.
              It will take less bullets to kill him now than if we wait for him to turn into a zombie.

The elderly. They seem nice enough, but can they really be trusted ?

Comment

Some people may Enjoy using a strobe, im currently looking for two strobes for my pistols. A strobe is like magpul or marmite you either love it or you hate it.
                Originally Posted by balaclava ben
                i like to fill those cracks with the good old white stuff
                sigpic

Comment

Yeah but magpull doesn't come with a chance of causing someone to have a fit and cause seriously injury.

I think they are cool, but personally i'd rather they weren't used because a photosensitive seizure is something that can happen to anyone.

If u want to use it for realism play on a mil sim site. I play to have fun I'm not fussed about how real it is, coz if I wanted realism I wouldn't shoot bb's at people lol.

Like everything in this sport it's going to be down to each individual, but as I said, I'd rather be safe than sorry, at least until a little bit more is known about any possible side effects from strobe tacs.
                  It will take less bullets to kill him now than if we wait for him to turn into a zombie.

The elderly. They seem nice enough, but can they really be trusted ?

Comment

i use a strobe light when we do the night games just to stick in one spot and use as a decoy to move round behind the enemy

Comment

Originally posted by wedge75 View Post
                      i use a strobe light when we do the night games just to stick in one spot and use as a decoy to move round behind the enemy
                      i do this with my standard cree torch, its totally covered in blu tak so i can set it anywhere i want and is so so helpful! has got me many hilarious kills!

Comment

Originally posted by WhilskyUK View Post
                        +1 to you good comments, (Defend the strobe) tee hee except no way is a strobe more important than pyro for a safety brief, a strobe cant take your fingers off
                        All of those bigging up the strobes have you ever seen someone having an epicyclic fit?

My guess is no as you wouldn't consider taking the risk if you had. 2% of the British population suffers from epilepsy. Another 5% of the british population will suffer at least one isolated epleptic attack in their lives as well. And attacks can be so bad as to end up in hospital.

Now would you really feel they are necessary? At the end of the day, if you want it to be realistic we should all be allowed to toss 12g BFG's around indoors but I for one would leave a sight the moment that happened.

My local site doesn't allow strobes or lasers for the health risks they can pose. They also don't allow anything larger than a mk5 thunderflash or a 9mm blank at our urban sight. Again for the health risks that anything louder would pose.

Comment

Its a good point raised, but I use strobe for dark room work in short bursts, and Im sorry but if someone is that sensitive to strobe, then they cant go to a nightclub, they cant watch TV, they cant drive a car and they would fit everytime you go down a tree lined country lane at sunset, so even multibangs would be out the question as they have multiple flashes.
                          I say if its within the site rules then use one, but use it in short bursts and not prolonged bursts, nightclubs have a ruling that says they cant use a strobe for I think its over 10 seconds as its been proved nearly everyone with photosensitive epilepsy (which is the one to worry about) is not effected in that short space of time.
                          section 24 of the 1968 Act
                          Supplying imitation firearms to minors
                          1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                          2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Originally posted by Four Leaf View Post
                            But as my eyes have got worse, the aches got worse and its near instant migraines. It feels like a spike shooting from my eye up to my head, where it then feels like a firework exploding and I just want to sit in a very dark room and feel sorry for myself.
                            What triggers the migraines? Is it the instant flood of light that you might get from someone turning on a constant beam at you or is it specifically strobed light? And if it's the latter, how long would they have to strobe for...? Because if it's [edit: "near instant"] instant like you say then I presume any light activation would cause problems...?

Originally posted by seansamurai1 View Post
                            I think its over 10 seconds as its been proved nearly everyone with photosensitive epilepsy (which is the one to worry about) is not effected in that short space of time.
                            Any way we can look this kind of thing up?

I don't understand the utter hatred for strobes I've seen on here. I can understand someone who is very photosensitive wanting people to stop using them but people getting furious just because they get annoyed that the strobe is doing its job? Seems a bit silly to me.

On another note... should we be asking for smilies like this to be banned from the forum on similar grounds of the anti-strobe argument?

Comment

Originally posted by KaRcop View Post
                              I don't understand the utter hatred for strobes I've seen on here. I can understand someone who is very photosensitive wanting people to stop using them but people getting furious just because they get annoyed that the strobe is doing its job? Seems a bit silly to me.
                              its like lots of things on this forum, people just jump on the wagon and just regurgitating opinions of others around them. thats why i'm still borderline over this until i find out more facts about the initiation of fits from strobes

Comment

Originally posted by balaclava ben View Post
                                its like lots of things on this forum, people just jump on the wagon and just regurgitating opinions of others around them. thats why i'm still borderline over this until i find out more facts about the initiation of fits from strobes
                                I say if your site allows them then ask at briefing if anyone is diagnosed with epilepsy or has other medical reasons for not wanting a strobe used. If no problems then use it. Personally if a load of people moaned about me wanting to use it I probably wouldn't. I wouldn't want to be the guy everyone thinks is a t*sser.

If you do use it don't be a complete w**ker keeping it on constantly and i'm sure no one will be too badly peeved also if it is true about the 10 second thing then short bursts should avoid this

and if you disorientate me and send me into a wall when i'm charging around like a pratt I will find you...

TM SCAR-L / LCT TACTICAL AK VARIANT / G&G UMP / MARUZEN P99 FIXED SLIDE / TM 18C AEP

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

plainlazy44 Find out more about plainlazy44
                                Working...
                                X