captured weapons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• captured weapons

would axis, paras / army / ss / use captured us weapons .

i have seen the m1 carbine in pics used by axis troops in the bulge . and i no in russia the ppsh was favoured over there own smg lots of pics of them using it .

but how about the thompson / garrand

was this ever used and which theaters ie europe italy would they of been used

Re: captured weapons

more than likely yes.
    Originally posted by Coz
    Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Highly doubt M1 due to the Magazine system, thompson maybe

Comment

hi lads

i was thinking along the lines of the old theres is better then ours mentality lol

Comment

Try no. Ours weren't better. The German system was based around th mg42. The troops acting as support for them. Captured weapons like the ppsh were compatible. The Thompson and garand were a completely different calibre. Ammo would have been an issue. For air soft it makes no difference.

Comment

Originally posted by AWsome View Post
            would axis, paras / army / ss / use captured us weapons .

i have seen the m1 carbine in pics used by axis troops in the bulge . and i no in russia the ppsh was favoured over there own smg lots of pics of them using it .

but how about the thompson / garrand

was this ever used and which theaters ie europe italy would they of been used
            Probably as trophies, but ultimately why use a weapon system where sourcing ammo would be difficult? I have no doubt there were instances, but continued, long term use, I would doubt.
            sigpic

Originally posted by Savaged Wolf

Snowdrop - hes quiet but always there ! like a jedi

Comment

i've seen pictures of germans with captured Bren guns...

and i've seen russian snipers with Kar98 high turrets, usual caper that it doesn't sound different.

Boris
              K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

Originally posted by imp1864 View Post
                Try no. Ours weren't better. The German system was based around th mg42. The troops acting as support for them. Captured weapons like the ppsh were compatible. The Thompson and garand were a completely different calibre. Ammo would have been an issue. For air soft it makes no difference.
                What that makes no sense at all.

Yes there are sources of the german troops using captured weapons but I doubt they would have used them long term as has been said sourcing the ammo would be very hard. Most armies during WW2 used their own ammunition as there was no NATO(which didn't exist) standardization or the like back then.

The only reasonable one I can see would be them picking up a STEN as it used the same ammo as the MP40 (9x19mm). But other than trophies and battlefield pickups I doubt it really.

Comment

In the later stages of the War, the Germans certainly did utilise captured Soviet weaponry (most of it had somehow been reverse-engineered anyway) and allied tanks- T-28's etc were used by the Germans. In particular, Russian guns were given to members of the Hitler youth as last-ditch attempts to defend cities like Berlin.
                  Signature Removed

Comment

The Germans made wide use of captured weapons throughout the war. They were reissued to occupational and police units where ammunition usage would have been limited, freeing up German weapons for front line troops. Large numbers of British, French, Polish and Russian were all captured early on and reused with German designations. The Volksturm were also almost entirely issued with captured weapons near the wars end.

In the front line captured weapons would have undoubtly been used whenever the supply situation was difficult. Many British weapons were used on Crete by the Fallschirmjagers who couldn't recover their own weapons containers.

Garands and carbines were quite well liked but normally wouldn't have been retained for long.
                    Stens were also popular and could be kept as they used the same standard pistol round. The German even copied it in the end, but removed the one feature that the soldiers liked- the side loading mag that allowed you to lie completely prone.
                    Thompsons were rather less popular due to their size & weight as well as the problem of aquiring ammunition.

Ppsh41s and SVT40s were commonly used on the Eastern front and were occasionally used in the west. Its ironic that the PsPh was liked for its drum and SVT for being semi auto but the issue of both was stopped by the Russians (the PpSh drum not the gun) because of reliabilty issues. The PpShs could use the German 7.63x 25mm Mauser round and some were later converted to 9x19mm and reissued. Some German snipers also preferred the Mosin Nagant to the K98.

In terms of heavier weapons Russian field guns and tanks were regularly used and not just on the eastern front; Some Russian field guns were even used in Africa. The Germans also manufactured their own 76.2mm rounds for T-34s and field guns. Entire units were also equipped with French tanks and much of the wehrmacht motor transport was also made up of capture vehicles.

Czech weapons were also manufactured in large numbers for German use, everything from rifles to tanks were produced.

Comment

very reciently a russian t43 tank was pulled from a river in or near russia, it was recovered in excelled condition considering it was in a river for nearly 60 years, it had however german markings on it. the tank was captured and put to use by the germans, then when fuel got low and positions became overrun by russians they simple drove it into the river rather than leaving it behind for the russians to use it against them again. search for this story on thenet, its easy to find and with lots of cool picture. cheers.

Comment

Yeah on the Russian front Germans used a lot of Russian gear, both for preference and supply problems.

Comment

My grandfather spent over a year teaching Americans to use British and German weapons. As I understand it. This was due to a realisation by the commanding generals that troops use any guns going in a fight. The Germans seem to have taken this way more to hart than we did and had a number of departments that dedicated their time to the practicalities that arise. For instance when the ppsh began to be used in large numbers the production of the 7.63x25 was uped and a contract issued to look at converting the guns to fire the 9x19.

Comment

As you've said the PPSH was favoured over the MP40 because of its ruggedness, great for the harsh Russian winters!

Comment

Originally posted by GhostDivisionAirsoft View Post
                              As you've said the PPSH was favoured over the MP40 because of its ruggedness, great for the harsh Russian winters!
                              its was prefered because of the wood. the mp40 was metal, and at very cold temperatures your hands stick to it, i was using my Mp40 yesterday at a shoot and it was blood cold. you don't stick to wood in the cold.

boris
                              K98 sale ----> http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...43#post1216243

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Working...
                              X