Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sportsmanship: Is it lacking?

Too true Slick, too true.

One thing i think is hilarious. I once told a guy on my own team he had been hit. He looked at me as if i was taking drugs. Just at that minute, another bb bounced off his head, and he flinched. He then turned around and started to fire again. I casually mentioned that he had been hit again and he should take his hits. His reply was that he hadnt been hit, and that i should get my eyes tested. I just took his tag number and walked off to find a marshal. He shortly after i got up said that fair enough he had been hit, and he would do his dead time. I kept his tag number for the rest of the day, just incase...

Comment

Sadly I agree with you Hoggy - there has been a dramatic drop in gentlemanly conduct at sites.

This dramatic drop is the reason why I'll never play at GZ again. I saw so much sh!te going on it put me right off, its a shame as I used to be a regular.

There was a huge increase in airsoft popularity a couple of years back - I don't know why but we saw a huge increase in the number of new players on the forums. (both old and young) - the COD mentality wasn't really a thing when I started airsoft.

As for the bang rule - sites I play at nowadays do use it - but they make a point that it is only a courtesy and the recipient doesn't have to take it.

Andy
      Originally posted by Coz
      Holds gun like a super sniper pro......Cries when wind blows his BB off course.
      http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...iping-tactics- sniping tactics thread.

Comment

Usually i'm in the company of a teammate with his PSG1 or using an L96 myself, generally I don't have issues and when we hit people or get hit ourselves it usually is from long range or a well concealed/ moving enemy so we always thanks and give thanks for our hits, bit of a ritual it has become. Always apologise if someone looks like they might have had a hard shot hit them (shout sorry very loud from 30 metres away) and will find them in the deadzone if feasable).

I won't ever pull the trigger if in position below 5-10m from someone and I can't hit them where it doesn't hurt, but I do move very quickly, so don't think that's a weakness if you ever see me .

If i'm close to someone I generally flick to semi too, don't like lacing up as i've been on the receiving end of full auto to the side of the head.

I will never shout take your hits either, just gives me an excuse to make an example of cheaters.

Last plan B at GZW I had to shout at one of my own team for shouting take your hits because I could clearly see in my scope that the BB's were dropping short too.
        "Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake." - Napolean

Comment

Originally posted by hoggy21 View Post
          I hate the people who are so elitist, that they wont even have a conversation with people they dont deem 'worthy' of their time. That shit annoys the hell out of me.
          Jesus damn me too. This is the thing that annoys me more than ANYTHING ELSE about airsoft, when you shout to someone 'Are you dead?' or 'What team are you on?' or even when you come back from spawn and ask 'What's happening?' and they just LOOK at you in complete silence, often with the most withering glare, and turn away or something. It's like, you can nod or shake your head if you don't want to shout, at least have the basic goddamn decency to treat me as a human being and fellow player.

We also saw some hilariously terrible sportsmanship yesterday, which caused my friend with the fancy shirt and the shotgun with the penguin stickers on who I have never seen angry about anything in my life to just throw his shotgun into a bush and shout BULLSHIT as loud as he could.

One bad player ruins the day for everyone :I
          - confirmed Mr.cool coolest of the cool airsofters.
          - I can't believe I'm lame enough to put my extremely cool youtube channel in my signature

Comment

Originally posted by Lt. Macka View Post
            There was a huge increase in airsoft popularity a couple of years back - I don't know why but we saw a huge increase in the number of new players on the forums. (both old and young) - the COD mentality wasn't really a thing when I started airsoft.
            Andy
            A lot to do with the introduction of the VCR bill I suspect (and the arrival of the cheap chinese clones). It created a comparatively huge amount of publicity in the media for a hobby which was largely known only by word of mouth up until then. Although I knew that airsoft guns existed, I only found out that people actually played games at sites from a chap that I worked with back in 2003.

Comment

Originally Posted by hoggy21 -
              I hate the people who are so elitist, that they wont even have a conversation with people they dont deem 'worthy' of their time. That shit annoys the hell out of me.
              WHAT?

People actually do that?
              HA HA HA!

the phrase "Get tae f*ck" comes to mind.
              Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Originally posted by slick63 View Post
                A lot to do with the introduction of the VCR bill I suspect (and the arrival of the cheap chinese clones). It created a comparatively huge amount of publicity in the media for a hobby which was largely known only by word of mouth up until then. Although I knew that airsoft guns existed, I only found out that people actually played games at sites from a chap that I worked with back in 2003.
                Aye - that's how I found out. I'd been a paintball fanboi prior to that.
                Originally posted by Coz

Comment

Stupid politicians, anti-gun tards & media failers trying to reduce a sport actually made it more popular! :p

I think Radar said something along these lines in one of their podcasts; if you have a bunch of new players who are doing it wrong you can't just sit there and moan about it you have to let them know that's not how things are done around here.

Obviously new guys aren't always the problem and certainly aren't the only people causing problems but there's always a good place to start if you want the community to grow into something good.

Comment

Originally posted by hoggy21 View Post
                    Sounds like my day at Warminster. Some of the guys hit me with incredible shots, and i had nothing but sheer admiration for the guys. They were right sneaky barstewards! One of the guys shot me twice, both times i exclaimed good hit. Then when i snuck up behind him and got him in the back with a pistol, he had to do 30 secs dead time before rejoining the game from where he had died. I asked him kindly if he would mind moving out of the room i had shot him from (i was outside poking through a window), and he said that instead of moving out and then coming back to where he knew i was, he would just happily sit there and continue his dead time, knowing that if he came back into the game where he was he would just get shot instantly again. THAT is true sportsmanship. Rather than going out, and coming back in all guns blazing, he was happy to just sit out the rest of the game (Which only had about 2 minutes to run). After the game, in went to the dead zone, spoke to the bloke, and apologised for shooting him in the back from about 3ft away with my pistol. I wanted to check i hadnt hit him somewhere painful and apologise if i did. He said i had hit him on a strap, that there was no hard feelings, and that he wa grateful i hadnt shot him in the head! That game restored some of my faith in airsofters, and i ended up having a really good chat about a game that i hadnt played for a good 7 or 8 months. He helped me out when my batteries started to flake out, he introduced me to the other regulars there (myself and the other players i was with), and continued to be a top quality player and opposition for the rest of the day.

That kind of stuff is what i appreciate and what i feel is starting to lack these days.

When i first went airsofting, i went along with a mate. He then got posted abroad, and i was left on my own. I went along to GZU, started chatting to a couple of blokes on game. Next time i went along, the guys came across and started to chat to me. Before i knew it, we found out we all did the same job, all were in the local area, and now these dudes are some of the best friends i have. Thats what i miss these days. I hate the people who are so elitist, that they wont even have a conversation with people they dont deem 'worthy' of their time. That shit annoys the hell out of me. I always make time for new players. Infact, the last time i went airsofting, there was a paintball site next door. There was a bunch of kids there, and i mean like 10 - 13 year olds. I took about 15 minutes out of my time to show them all my guns, explain to the parents there about airsofting, let them have a hold with it, and explain he differences between airsoft and paintball.

Ill always take a couple minutes of my time to let people have a look over, try out or use my equipment and weapons. I have no problems with that. I hate when you ask somebody what their gun is, then they answer like 'Well, its a systema, dumbass'. That, in my eye, is exactly what is going wrong with this hobby. (Note: Im not digging at systema owners here, its just an example!)
                    i know how u fell mate like u i talk to people all the time in the safe zone and also get a lot of mid age players asking to look and shoot my rifle i have no probs . get and give lots of respect

Comment

I'm fairly new to airsoft (less than ten skirmishes)... But started at and usually play at F&O Anzio Camp up by Manchester or the Bolton Woodland. I was down by GZW in Bournemouth a few weeks back and thought I'd visit it as I'd like to try it out as I've heard good things, and cause I'd like to check it out before NAE. I was surprised at the difference between conduct of play there, and when back home. I was full auto over killed from behind around 10metres away, I can live with that, but I always appologise when I do something of this kind (by mistake etc). Then I was in a bush, and another guy was there who I was aware of, he was convinced he'd hit me, when he hadn't, I'd seen his fire, and would of definitely felt a hit. Screams of "you're a dead man now" and other obscenities followed so I just said I'd take the hit to "avoid an argument," which he had a tantrum at. Anger and airsoft do not mix well, and there are many angry types put there. Then later towards the end of the day, loads of delta were in the fort, I'd snuck up, took a guy out quietly, he then turned round fired full auto bursts in my direction, alerting everyone of where I was, and hitting me then he took his hit from when I shot him the first time?!?! Maybe I just had a bad day!
                      WANTED: KAC QD SUPPRESSOR (long) & AKS-74/AKMS
                      After one week with me in my dojo, you'll be prepared to defend yourself with the strength of a grizzly, the reflexes of a puma, and the wisdom of a man.

Comment

no u didnt

Comment

since i started playing about 5 years ago hit taking has gone down dramatically, used to be if someone didnt take they're hits there was a good chance they just didnt notice either cos they were wearing excessive clothing or running in the heat of the moment. these days alot of people seem to blatently ignore being shot unless they are sprayed to the point where they WANT to get out of the game.

this is probably why people seem to fire for prolonged periods at you. its also why people get more frustrated about none hit taking.

The other week i was at a weekender and got yelled at for not taking my hits twice; the first time i was running, i took it but i was behind a wall so he didnt see me, the second was a gun hit which he just didnt accept, fair enough, i dont like annoying people and will just count gun hits as a hit in future because grown men yelling at each other doesnt really tickle my pickle. but i get the feeling it was a case of the straw that broke the camels back and tbh all that negativity just circles round until the game becomes shit for everybody.

in short yes. i agree getting more public attention is good, but in my personal opinion not at the expense of the quality of the game, once shits started has a tendency to ruin the whole day.

Comment

Sportsmanship is lacking in all sports. I was at GZ last year, and this ghillied up bloke and some other guy got into a punch up, the ghillie shouting at the other guy to "not take the game so seriously"....says the guy in the ghillie. That did make me rofl from my hiding place in the nearby bush.

Comment

airsoft is a crap sport and hobby without sportsmanship. that's why i, and members of our team try to be as sportsmanlike as humanly possible sometimes a bit too much.

i thank people for taking hits and i like you congratulate when someone gets the drop on me. also NO GLOATING the amount of passive aggressiveness sometimes is just silly. we aren't soldiers we are playing with guns in the woods people tend to forget themselves.

anyway mini rant over i feel strongly about fair honest sportsmanship

Comment

I find in the midlands, at sites where I play(yes play) that it's the frustrated wannabe soldiers who get frustrated and aggressive with everyone,they read up on army life in an Andy mcnab book and now they come to live out their personal fantasy. they seem to be self appointed team captains when the teams are picked. I just last month had a guy on my own team tell me to get out the F'ing line of fire after he came behind me and decided to squat against the wall where me and 2 new blokes were talking about the 'opponents hiding in the bushes over 200 meters away, I would have understood if I had when I turned around seen mr aggressive holding a real steel sniper or summat but he had a Really basic m4 and could reach about 40m max, when I turned around to ask the guy why he didn't just join in the banter, he replied, I paid money to shoot this gun not talk about it, he did this all while staring down his 1x magnified scope, so me being 6'4 and quite wide, I stood straight back in front of him and carried on talking, when I turned back around he was gone. The problem is that people are selfish and spend mon-fri in the shed planning tactics and when they get there nobody cares about left flanking or going over the top, most of us like a balance of shooting and drinking tea.

I think majority of people when you make an effort to talk to them are just nervous or shy, when you break the ice you all get on better. It's nice to have a top end gun but it's better to go home after with a smile...

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

hoggy21 Find out more about hoggy21
                                Working...
                                X