Non-skirmisher UKARA defence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-skirmisher UKARA defence?

So I have been sporadically collecting airsoft guns for 25 years an I am looking at getting a UKARA defence, but as I am in my 40's and not very fit I am not keen to go skirmishing 3 times. I read that you can be a part of a re-enactment society so I wondered if there was a cheap and easy one to join?

UKARA isn't really the law, it's just a system to allow retailers to reasonably argue the purchaser is an going to use the realistic imitation firearm (RIF) for the purpose of airsoft.

Under the 2006 Act the following are defences to sell/import RIFs:

(a)the purposes of a museum or gallery;

(b)the purposes of theatrical performances and of rehearsals for such performances;

(c)the production of films (within the meaning of Part 1 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988 (c. 48)_see section 5B of that Act);

(d)the production of television programmes (within the meaning of the Communications Act 2003 (c. 21)_see section 405(1) of that Act);

(e)the organisation and holding of historical re-enactments organised and held by persons specified or described for the purposes of this section by regulations made by the Secretary of State;

(f)the purposes of functions that a person has in his capacity as a person in the service of Her Majesty.

And under the 2007 Regs the following two defences (which includes airsoft):

(a)the organisation and holding of "permitted activities" [the acting out of military or law enforcement scenarios for the purposes of recreation] for which public liability insurance is held in relation to liabilities to third parties arising from or in connection with the organisation and holding of those activities;

(b)the purposes of display at a "permitted event" [a commercial event at which firearms or realistic imitation firearms (or both) are offered for sale or displayed.]
    In order to purchase an airsoft / realistic imitation firearm it needs to be for one or more of the above reasons. Re-enactment is one of those defences, but you would need to actually re-enact, not just join a group.
    Lurker.

Comment

Plus not all retailers may recognise your reenactors status as a suitable defence, whereas ukara is like a gold plated permit to buy or import rifs.

Just get out & play 3 games, you've already got guns so you don't even need to rent, 40 isn't old, & being unfit isn't really an excuse either, I'm 52 & f#cked (not in a good way), but that won't stop me, who knows you may actually enjoy it

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

The_Chugster Find out more about The_Chugster
      Working...
      X