X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hellfish
    replied
    Re: Op Storm (Oman/Dhofar 1970-76)

Lovin' the Old School look on these threads to the point where I've bought an M16VN/A1 and some Brit Lightweight OD Trousers and Shirt when, coupled with my hybrid Pattern 58/M56 webbing will go towards a 70's Brit Impression.

Will post pics as and when I have all the gear, but it won't look anywhere near as good as the pics already posted.

Leave a comment:

• Gadge Europa
    replied

I've got most of the core of my Malaya kit.

Waiting via ebay for a repro 44 pattern bush hat at the mo. Impossible to get in my size (60) these days in original.

Hardest thing to find was the calf high extended 'converse' style jungle boots.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Nice one, yeah those would be good to see. Ive got a few more Oman impressions in mind, so hopefully in the near future ill post them up. The pictures in Jeapes' book has given me a couple more ideas.

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

At some stage I'll dig some of Hawke Snr's pictures out. He was in Borneo, Malaya and did a spell in Oman in 1974 (he still refers to it as The Oman) Another good reference point is "Where Soldiers Fear to Tread" by Ran Fiennes. My copy belonged to my maternal grandma - my dad hates Fiennes with a passion which I've never got to the root of.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
    May I also add Tony Jeapes book "Op Storm".
    I got a copy of the book yesterday mate, been a long time since i had a look through the pictures. Interesting to see black handguards & stocks on the L1A1s in this time & also them using the 72 pattern bergen, most pictures have them with the old P42 style rucksacks.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Originally posted by Gadge Europa View Post
    Very much interested in all the 'small wars' really but in particular Borneo and Malaya.

The main purpose for throwing that impression together was that we recently did a 'cold war gets hot' weekender set in Afghanistan during a global WWIII and we had 'sas' advisors among the Muj forces. I was trying to show the chaps the sort of stuff that was popular with the regiment in the late 70s and early 80s when the were in arid areas.

Interesting, you dont see many Borneo or Malaya impressions around which is a pity. Im a fan of Borneo too, but id say my interests are mainly 70s-early 90s so Malaya is something that i always overlook. Would be good to cover the entire cold war period at some point.

That game sounds like a laugh & to think some of that scenario has already happened for real!

Leave a comment:

• Gadge Europa
    replied

Originally posted by SBS Rusty View Post
    Oman fan as well Gadge?
    Very much interested in all the 'small wars' really but in particular Borneo and Malaya. Trying to compile a lot of veterans acounts at the moment for a possible PHD on the army and its social structure in contrast to its effectiveness in times of conscription.

The main purpose for throwing that impression together was that we recently did a 'cold war gets hot' weekender set in Afghanistan during a global WWIII and we had 'sas' advisors among the Muj forces. I was trying to show the chaps the sort of stuff that was popular with the regiment in the late 70s and early 80s when the were in arid areas.

Leave a comment:

• Gadge Europa
    replied

Heheh

The real problem i have is a very modern garden (for a 1930s house) and if i want to do anything more 'in keeping' it means trekking off to the local Marina, popping into the police station, spending about 30 minutes letting them know what shoot i'm doing, with who, what wepaons etc so they dont send some ARU unit on a narrowboat or something ridiulous like that.

It doesnt look too bad when it gets really overgrown (the garden that is) but again Sian has other views on how things should look...

Having found a cute, geeky, airsofting, re-enacting missus I do my best not to push things

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

Having Gadge on here is going to make it a good thing for the kit groupies like me and Rusty. I especially like the tactical use of a metal garden furniture..

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Oman fan as well Gadge?

Even shaved my beard off and started a mantache.
    haha i dont do 'method' any more, the last time i had a tache the slagging was legendary! I just stick to the kit these days. Much easier

But yeah handlebar taches were all the rage in the Regiment in this era & well into the Falklands too...& beyond.

Leave a comment:

• Gadge Europa
    replied

These were done very quickly to show some Gunman players the sort of 70s kit that was used.

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

Yeah, if I could work out how to load picture on here, I'd show you. Even shaved my beard off and started a mantache.

Leave a comment:

• Brandon
    replied

Hows the impression looking these days Hawke, nearly there yet?

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

Yes, had them done - I wouldn't use real drop pattern pouches, they are of more value to a collector. I had loads of '58 pouches in my garage, some mine, most my dad's, so I had plenty to to butcher. The real find was some pouches similar to 44 pattern water bottle pouches, and some metal water bottles. I've got a 1944 dated bergan as well as a 1970's Berghaus Cyclops which I'm fairly pleased with as well.

Leave a comment:

• systema PTW SOPMOD
    replied

... along with a 58 pattern belt with a rollpin buckle, original ones being rare as hens teeth and VERY expensive!
    Have you had them done yet? Because we have a few sets of 58 lying around in stores if you'd like me to see what I can find? Sometimes you get lucky and pull up a real gem
    Of you send me a pic or description of what you are looking for I'll try to dig it up

Leave a comment:

About the Author

Collapse

Hawke Middle aged and in middle management. Airsoft to cope with a midlife crisis. Find out more about Hawke
Working...
X