• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GhostWolf
    replied
    Re: British PARA Loadout?

Originally posted by Hawke View Post
    If you're going to quote, do the decent thing and quote. The way you've written your comment comes across as "I read what you're saying, but I'm just going to disregard it". My point that the beret thing has been done to death stands. If you're curious, I'm entitled to wear a green beret, green as in Commando, not AGC, Rifles/LI/RGJ. or Cypress Green for Intelligence Corps. I don't wear mine skirmishing/playing because it's not practical, and I get cheesed off with explaining to smug 19 year olds who've never been near a careers office, let alone a real campaign that ,yes, I'm entitled to wear it. Because it's very, very tedious. So I just don't wear it because the right/wrong on wearing insignia thing is just as dull.
    To bloody right m8, 100% agree with you, my beret was hard enough to earn, and I know just too well how difficult yours was to earn. To me if you haven't earn't badges, rank and insignia you shouldn't be wearing them.

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

If you're going to quote, do the decent thing and quote. The way you've written your comment comes across as "I read what you're saying, but I'm just going to disregard it". My point that the beret thing has been done to death stands. If you're curious, I'm entitled to wear a green beret, green as in Commando, not AGC, Rifles/LI/RGJ. or Cypress Green for Intelligence Corps. I don't wear mine skirmishing/playing because it's not practical, and I get cheesed off with explaining to smug 19 year olds who've never been near a careers office, let alone a real campaign that ,yes, I'm entitled to wear it. Because it's very, very tedious. So I just don't wear it because the right/wrong on wearing insignia thing is just as dull.

Leave a comment:

• ElSparko
    replied

Originally posted by bravotwozero View Post
    stuff
    I don't own a maroon beret, I said specifically that I bought a red beret that was not a military beret but a generic one. It was compared to a real one owned by a friend who is a para.

After re-reading the post, it does seem like I'm being a little... protective? (can't think of the right word) of the Russian beret, I simply meant it as if you're going to choose not to wear a British beret out of respect, wearing a Russian one would be worse. The MVD requested that airsofters stop wearing Russian maroon berets out of respect, and I believe doing so in Russia is illegal (though I could be wrong there)

more stuff
    You're right that the whole beret insignia thing is done to death, I was just trying to point out that when it comes to berets, its easy enough to get something that looks pretty much the same, but isn't the thing that many people have worked, fought and even died to earn. It's not like it's going to cause anyone offence to not wear a real one.

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

I'm going to get me a nice lurid pink beret, dayglo preferably. I'm going to have a loadout based on an early 1990's raver, white gloves and a whistle to go with it. There were some deaths on the rave scene, albeit usually down to drug taking and other assorted stupidity. If anyone takes offence to me wearing my pink beret, I can turn round and say "you don't know man, you weren't there".
    The beret and insignia thing has been done to death. If the OP wants to drss like a Para or an 18th century Infantryman, who's to say he's wrong? I know of whole teams who dress in uniforms they aren't qualified to wear, but they do it with respect, which is the important issue.
    Righty ho, I'm off to listen to "808 State" and pretend I'm in "Sergeant Peppers" on Union Street in 1991.

Leave a comment:

• bravotwozero
    replied

Originally posted by ElSparko View Post
    And as has already been said, paras wouldn't be too pleased with you wearing one while not being a para yourself, they go through a lot to get into the regiment and the beret is a way of showing it.

I recently bought a red beret for a different load out, its similar to the British style but has several differences.

P.S. whatever you do, don't get a Russian Maroon beret. Those are worn by the elitest of the elite members of the Spetznaz, some of whom die earning them, it would be particually disrespectful to wear one of those

So you're telling him not to wear a Maroon beret out of respect, but you buy one for your own loadout?

It's safe to assume you're a Para then?

Also he can get a Russian red beret if he wants to, and wear it if he wants to.... what's to stop him?

Many soldiers die wearing all kinds of beret, what does it matter if they're Spetsnaz??

Leave a comment:

• ElSparko
    replied

As has been said, the paras where a maroon beret and I believe it's the MPs that wear red (feel free to correct me)

And as has already been said, paras wouldn't be too pleased with you wearing one while not being a para yourself, they go through a lot to get into the regiment and the beret is a way of showing it.

I recently bought a red beret for a different load out, its similar to the British style but has several differences. I actually gave it to a friend of mine how is in the paras to compare against his beret. It was lighter than his (obviously, seening as it's red) and looked the same to me, but he told me that he would not be able to wear it as "My CO would f*** me up if I wore this"

I can't remember the company off the top of my head, I'll edit it on to here and PM you the name.

P.S. whatever you do, don't get a Russian Maroon beret. Those are worn by the elitest of the elite members of the Spetznaz, some of whom die earning them, it would be particually disrespectful to wear one of those

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

Being a grammar nazi has it's uses, apart from doing the crossword. It's not even a case of sausage fingers, the "p" and the "t" are a fair distance apart on a keyboard. But, back on thread, the para smock is a fairly important bit of kit for any para loadout, even in these days of MTP, although I am, as ever, baffled by the fascination for Para Reg. Why does no-one ever do an RLC loadout, or a RA one? Why is it ALWAYS Para? Other British units are available. It's not the 80's when no-one else got a look in anymore.

Leave a comment:

• oneshot187
    replied

is it a flat or a maisonette?
    LMAO:D

Leave a comment:

• Special bus
    replied

And who did you find them from hawke Steely eyed for the win father still uses that phrase :D

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

Originally posted by Robrego View Post
    Make sure you get the Para smock which has the flat at the back.
    is it a flat or a maisonette?

Back on topic, Dragon Supplies in Colchester are doing some of them groovy 80's trop lightweights which are apparently "ally" (in my day, we said "warry" or "steely eyed"). They have their trials shirts and trousers at very cheap prices.

Leave a comment:

• oneshot187
    replied
    DZ Flash right sleeve, under parachute wings. Brigade TRF left sleeve. Para smock worn baggy and unbloused. Slings are optional, they prefer to keep their weapons at hand. For some reason they tend to rock the long pointed sideburns look. Remember to bring extreme self confidence, bordering on galaxy size arrogance.
    Lol so so true

Leave a comment:

• bill1310
    replied

Originally posted by WhiskeySquad View Post
    Just wondering what I need for a recent British Para outfit , i know :

red beret

SA80

?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    ?
    maroon beret

Leave a comment:

• Hawke
    replied

DZ Flash right sleeve, under parachute wings. Brigade TRF left sleeve. Para smock worn baggy and unbloused. Slings are optional, they prefer to keep their weapons at hand. For some reason they tend to rock the long pointed sideburns look. Remember to bring extreme self confidence, bordering on galaxy size arrogance.

Leave a comment:

• oneshot187
    replied

Originally posted by WhiskeySquad View Post
    can I get a pic of that para helmet then? please!:D
    Pm mew your email address

Leave a comment:

• Robrego
    replied

Make sure you get the Para smock which has the flat at the back. If you are looking for modern then you either have an option for osprey/assault vest. Or use what they have got in training (webbing).

Leave a comment:

About the Author

Collapse

WhiskeySquad Find out more about WhiskeySquad
Working...
X