Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Radios For Dummys (BaoFeng UV-5R)

Alrighty,
    I dont have a clue about radios..... But its about time i started using coms with my mates when we go airsofting.
    I have looked and asked around and i was recommended the BaoFeng UV-5R more than any other one as a cheap radio thats good for beginners.
    However i still have no idea how they work or what im supposed to do.
    Really i just need someone to explain or point me in the direction of a video that explains how these radios work, if they only work with the same model or i can use them with my mates motorolas, kenwoods, etc, and if i need a license or whatever to use them for airsofting.
    Cheers!
    Custom Airsoft Engraving Service From £5
    http://forums.zeroin.co.uk/showthrea...66#post1276366

Re: Radios For Dummys (BaoFeng UV-5R)

I'm no expert, but radios that run on the pmr446 frequencies are license free, & are obviously compatible with all other pmr radios, the only downside is their not secured, anybody on the opposing team with a pmr can peruse the channels & sub-channels to eavesdrop on you.
    Any other systems require licensing.

Comment

As Tackle said you would need a licence to run the baofeng's . lots run them with out a licence and I've never heard of any one being prosecuted for it BUT if you were to use them with out , it would be your decision to and you couldn't really complain if you did get pinched or say "oh but A , B & C ran them without a licence !" All said and done there is a way to use them on a PMR but I've never tried it , me and my team mates all use them and as time goes buy more and more players are running them as well so turning in too bit of a mute point really! Lol
      We used ours last yr and the yr before at the GZ wk'nder and they were wonderful, no chatter bleed from other people's radios just us talking to each other , bliss ! Lol .
      From deepest darkest pagan Wales ! The steel wolves !

Comment

I don't think OFCOM are worried about a few thousand people using Baofengs at 4 watts on PMR446. As long as you're not trying to use them on the 2 metre HAM repeater frequencies I wouldn't worry - and you don't technically need a licence for them unless you do. Why on earth you want a Baofeng as a starter radio though is beyond me - they most certainly are not starter level comms devices and are a bloody pain to programme at the best of times..
        Last edited by muzzleflash; 27 June, 2017, 03:56.

Comment

http://phillipcooper.co.uk/2014/06/p...r446-channels/

This pretty much walks you through it. Make sure to read the manual. It's really easy reprogramming it for PMR446. I was going to do mine by the computer, but the cable didn't work so did it manually and honestly... it was so easy, I felt dumb afterwards.

You pretty much put the radio in frequency mode, type in the number for the frequency than you save it, you keep repeating that till you have it all done. There is few other things you need to do, but the website explains that.

Any problems, just type in Baofeng Programming in Youtube and you find video guides on how to do it.

The radio will talk to any other radio, models make no difference but it might be best to buy a radio that everyone else is using at your local site, so its easier to use and get help with.

The radio police won't arrest you for using this, the only real likely hood of you ever getting in trouble with the police is to walk into the police station and tell them you using one and even then, likely they won't care.
          sigpic

Comment

Hi,

You'd be better off stating with Motorola TLKR T92, they come in 1, 2s and 4s and they very easy to use and set up. You can get the a range of accessories headsets and remote PTTs etc. The other kit does need programming to work and can be a pain if you have lots of people with differing kit as the channels don't always line up.

Find a channel like 6 and set a "code" e.g. 25 and that should be good to go, on some busy site's it can get fun trying to find and empty channel, if you get really serious you can purchase a UK single license that gives you access to a batch of channels that are (semi) private and tend to be free of other users. From memory it is £75 a year.

I tend to program BaoFeng and clones with 4 channels that match the Motorola radios so that people can chat between themselves no matter what kit they have. Remember out of the box a lot of the cheap radios from China are not set up for the UK market.

And muzzleflash you'd be surprised what can spark an interest ...

Steve
            Move Fast - Kill All

And yes that Barrett is real and heavy ...

Comment

Originally posted by Defiant View Post
              From memory it is £75 a year.
              £75 for 5 years. Which is why I wonder why people even take the risk, as that's not even that expensive..
              Main Armoury: CYMA Zhukov AK | G&P M7A1 | PTS Masada AKM

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainDumbass View Post
                Alrighty,
                I dont have a clue about radios..... But its about time i started using coms with my mates when we go airsofting.
                I have looked and asked around and i was recommended the BaoFeng UV-5R more than any other one as a cheap radio thats good for beginners.
                However i still have no idea how they work or what im supposed to do.
                Really i just need someone to explain or point me in the direction of a video that explains how these radios work, if they only work with the same model or i can use them with my mates motorolas, kenwoods, etc, and if i need a license or whatever to use them for airsofting.
                Cheers!
                I enjoy its commercial durability, which makes the radio much more compact to be used as a BaoFeng UV 5R airsoft setup equipment. The frequency range it can receive in Mhz is VHF (136-174) and UHF (400-520). It contains a large push-to-talk key along with two other side keys for alarm, flashlight and monitor.
                How to set up and use it?

First, turn the radio on and control its volume with the knob on top. Should the radio not include a keypad, it would provide you with another knob to switch among available preset channels. Notice its battery level, which can be displayed on the digital screens. It is best to bring a fully charged airsoft radio.

In order to do a few tasks, press on instructed side keys including speaking, opening the menu or making an SOS alarm, etc. If you need a private talk, you can plug in an airsoft headset to avoid audio coming out of the speaker.
                Last edited by noahenholm; 10 November, 2020, 15:44.

Comment

you can as well watch youtube videos for better visual illustration

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

CaptainDumbass Gamer, Engineer, Mechanic, Airsofter. Find out more about CaptainDumbass
                  Working...
                  X