Second hand sales

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Second hand sales

Im just curious as to what you guys think.

​​​​​Is the second hand market dying off or are we playing more value on what were we're trying to sell than it's worth??

It's been a while since I put anything up for sale on a forum, and from I remember, things used to sell rapidly.
    I now notice sales posts hanging about a lot longer, not just in here, but other forums as well.
    Uksf loadout

TM 417 recoil.
    Custom built L119A1
    WE P228

I think as the airsoft equipment menu continues to grow the buyer has more choice every day. This means that older stuff may now be too far behind the times to appeal to buyers or a similar product is available for less. I must have spent over a grand on buying my first TM m4 and upgrading it 15 years ago but you could buy a better gun out of the box now for 200. The airsoft market is fluid just like any other and so whats hot and whats not is always changing. Younger generations are also having to deal with lower wages and higher living costs which also restricts spending in a used hobby market. Then theres less forum traffic these days due to the rise of airsoft on facebook and even though rif sales are now banned there many dont know what a forum is or where to find one. Then theres scammers lying about the condition of equipment or just stealing. I think things would improve a lot if more forums had a feedback scystem like this one used to. Personaly i buy everything used myself but a lot of people enjoy the piece of mind they get with a store bought guarantee.

Comment

I don't think the second hand market is drying up Sean, as players will alway want to move on to a new toy But, I have noticed recently that many people have been struggling to sell some of their gear on other forums, these items seem to models that were popular a few years ago, and some people have some really nice pieces out there, although times and trends change, also the player age is getting younger, and it seems that the AR platform has changed to a full modular system, so has the modern AK platform nowadays, and so many players who might be looking to leave the sport are struggling to shift their gear.
      As for what's it 's worth, some people will always attempt to get as much as what they think their gear is worth, weather it's worth that or not, is down to personal opinion, and market forces. With some Rif's, the fact that they are rare and at times collectable, especially as many collectors nowadays, are collecting airsoft models instead of deactivated models, many Rif's come to mind, the L1A1, the G3, especially with wooden furniture.
      However, as I said previously, trends change, players today want a different look and system to what was available a few years ago, or was the "norm" a few years ago.
      Personally, I do think that a lot of sellers are asking a tad much second hand or their gear, especially if you have a good idea what they paid for it in the first place, second hand is second hand, if you're selling a rare bird, then you may be making breaking even, or even making a profit, but if you're attempting to sell a bog standard readily available item second hand for the same price as new, or even.....dearer than what you can pick one up new, then you're taking the proverbial piss....

Comment

The second hand market has gone a bit mental with people expecting ludicrous prices at both ends of the scale. Chancers wanting to sell their Warrior L96 for £200 because it comes with a sling and a rifle bag. And people thinking you should sell your kit for < 30% of RRP because "its second hand now innit?"

There also seems to have been an influx of cretinous "buyers" (and I use the term loosely because they never actually buy anything) who have no idea how to haggle. Sick of getting "Whats the lowest youll go?" messages, that is not how haggling works. You make me an offer, Ive already listed it at a price I want.

Ive been struggling to sell my GBB G36 for a while now at a price that I feel is practically giving it away. (£250 for the gun, NPAS kit, tightbore barrel + 5 mags, considering the mags alone are £40-60 a piece if you can even find them in stock anywhere, the gun is practically free!) "Ill giv u £50 if u deliver it, cash no paypal fees m8 Im saving u money". Ugh.

I also think budged brands that are actually very good, e.g. the Combat Machine series are partly to blame. Why risk buying a 2nd hand gun for £150 that may or may not be a shagged out heap of junk, when you can get a brand new CM for £130 with 12 month warranty.

Comment

Personally i think the %30 off rule is about right unless its a rare, disscontinued piece with a cult fan base. Any higher and people will buy brand new.

Comment

not 30% off, 30% of RRP :P so paying £30 for £100 gun

Comment

Sorry, i miss read that and ive experienced a few of those offers myself.

Comment

The "what's the lowest you will go" version of haggling is my personal hate. Also dealing with a possible scammer at the minute too. The is also a generation of younger people online who have no idea what a forum is and can't use a search engine. The one word answer of "link?" When describing an item or offering advice is somewhat infuriating.

Comment

Comment

Nope, I don’t have any trouble selling anything, high end, low end, collectors, I’ve bought and sold literally thousands of pounds worth of RIF’s in the last few months.

Comment

Nope, I don’t have any trouble selling anything, high end, low end, collectors, I’ve bought and sold literally thousands of pounds worth of RIF’s in the last few months.

Comment

I personally think airsoft is a dying sport, I make that comment based on several observations - 3 of the sites I used to play at regularly have closed down over the years, and less and less players attend the sites I do play at now, no new venues being opened up (especially in the south east). No effort being put into the (majority) of websites operated by airsoft companies...just seem to be out of date Facebook pages providing the bare amount of info. I blame the great cash in that is UKARA! and militant sites and shops making it harder to get desirable weapons and then bumping up prices for budget make guns over the years. As an example a marui mp5a4 could be got new for £149 back in 2009...now SRC and JG mp5’s are well over this! And a marui recoil is a laughable price new! This has had a knock on effect on second hand sales with people seriously taking the piss! There was someone asking £500 for a KWA vector and 1 mag the other month. A few years ago these were going as packages second hand for £250-400! Second hand airsoft guns are not like classic cars they don’t appreciate with age ffs! They don’t rise with inflation! People need to get real on some of the prices they are asking!

Comment

I personally think airsoft is a dying sport, I make that comment based on several observations - 3 of the sites I used to play at regularly have closed down over the years, and less and less players attend the sites I do play at now, no new venues being opened up (especially in the south east). No effort being put into the (majority) of websites operated by airsoft companies...just seem to be out of date Facebook pages providing the bare amount of info. I blame the great cash in that is UKARA! and militant sites and shops making it harder to get desirable weapons and then bumping up prices for budget make guns over the years. As an example a marui mp5a4 could be got new for £149 back in 2009...now SRC and JG mp5’s are well over this! And a marui recoil is a laughable price new! This has had a knock on effect on second hand sales with people seriously taking the piss! There was someone asking £500 for a KWA vector and 1 mag the other month. A few years ago these were going as packages second hand for £250-400! Second hand airsoft guns are not like classic cars they don’t appreciate with age ffs! They don’t rise with inflation! People need to get real on some of the prices they are asking!

Comment

Originally posted by bumhulio View Post
                            I totally see where you're coming from mate but with regard to the KWA Vector and guns like it, yeah they absolutely do appreciate with age. The KWA Vector is both an excellent GBB version for a unique design, AND out of production. Supply, demand, it's all the same over every industry. Just like Ares L85 UGLs - good luck finding one and if you do, it's £300.

Comment

Originally posted by bumhulio View Post
                              There was someone asking £500 for a KWA vector and 1 mag the other month. A few years ago these were going as packages second hand for £250-400! Second hand airsoft guns are not like classic cars they don’t appreciate with age ffs! They don’t rise with inflation! People need to get real on some of the prices they are asking!
                              That was me.

The market decides. I’ve sold 8 KWA vectors in the last three months, as packages. The least I’ve sold any one for is £600 with three mags, the most £850 with three mags. Whether you think they are worth it or not is irrelevant. Every one I’ve sold has had at least people chasing it. I can’t get hold of enough of them.

Suck it up sweatheart

rdb

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

sean_waller Eat, shit, sleep, work repeat Find out more about sean_waller
                              Working...
                              X