TM MWS M4 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TM MWS M4 build

Picked up a Marui MWS around a month ago and thought id do a review/build thread that i will add to over the coming months. I bought it from ZeroOne, who had it up for sale £100 more than everywhere else, but price matched it for me (They did have the cheapest mags in stock at the time so it made sense). The gun came the next day and i quickly tore open the box to find what would turn out to be an incredible GBBR.

The gun, as you would expect from Marui is well put together, and the Cerakoted receiver and mags have a really nice, scratch resistant finish. I'm not particularly rough with my guns, but the coating on this is FAR superior to anything else I've owned, and this must be over my 20th gun by now. The stock has a little wobble, but no more than any other i've seen and far less than most. I've heard complaints about the railed handguard, but mine was machined perfectly with absolutely no movement at all. The forward assist is functional; not that I've ever used it, and the rear iron sight is actually quite nice. The adjustment for the hopup (Which is magical) is located above the chamber in the upper receiver, under the rails. It's adjusted by removing the mag (or if your fingers are small enough through the ejection port) with the bolt locked back. It's a wheel design, similar to their pistols and works perfectly. Once thing to note is that the inner barrel is 250mm, which is far shorter than the 370mm 14.5" outer barrel. It's nice and polished with a good crown. I can only assume this was done to keep the power down for the Japanese market. The bolt release sticks out quite far when the bolt is locked to the rear. It looks a little weird, but is actually pretty useful to manipulate under stress. The bolt stop is actually a big part of the ZET system that Marui has developed for their GBBR. The internals sacrifice realism on the lower receiver for performance and reliability, to which i have no problem with. If it does bother you, I'd suggest you get the GHK. So far, so good, but this is where things get really impressive. The performance.

FPS measured with a .20 blaster devil on green gas:
    it's safe to say that this thing is seriously consistent. My SCAR H recoil is less consistent than that!

Now here's where i ran into my first little hiccup, which was no fault of the gun's. I filled the mag for a few seconds (Which is always enough for my WE GBBR's) and was horrified that it wouldn't finish a mag. When filling the TM mags for the first time, keep it pressed down until the frosty gas starts to spit out of the fill valve. I'm used to WE's silent fill valves, which i just hold there until the gas equalized and the filling sound stopped. These are slightly different. It's also worth noting that the valves are angled into the mag. Something to keep in mind when filling. Once i filled all 4 of my mags properly, i dumped them all in full auto with quick succession. All emptied without any sign of slowing down or stuttering and all locked the bolt to the rear on empty.

I was that happy with the MWS that i burned through a can of green gas in about 15 minutes, so i decided to go to 'The Bunker's' 20m range to see if its accuracy was as good as it's consistency. At the back of the 20m range was those small spinning targets. They were approximately 2" across, maybe smaller. After getting the hop adjusted for .28 blasters, i was hitting it every single time with the iron sights. Even the guy at the shop was impressed by it. This thing will match any AEG for accuracy within its max range.

I went home happy that this was my new main weapon and decided to make it look as pretty as it shot. I ordered myself the following
    PTS EPG-C grip
    Magpul CTR clone
    9" Dytac Geissele smr mk4 rail (Picture was M lock but it turned out to be keymod which was a little disappointing)
    You'll have to forgive the pictures. My iphone decided it was going to throw itself out of my pocket going down a dual carriageway on a motorbike, so i'm stuck with an old phone until the insurance comes through.

- - - Updated - - -

reserved

Re: TM MWS M4 build

Front end

A few things to note about the front end if you plan on changing rails etc. The way the outer barrel bolts onto the receiver is different to most conventional AEG's/GBBR's. There is hardly any lip for the barrel nut to grip onto, and if you fit an aftermarket rail like i do, you may end up looking like a right idiot like me. I fitted a 13" Viking tactical rail onto the gun. The barrel nut threaded on beautifully and within 5 minutes, i had a cool looking rail... Then i shot it and the barrel shot across the room! As it turns out, the outer barrel is thinner than the whole in the barrel nut, so tightening it does nothing to keep the barrel in place. Now, there's 2 ways around this and i have both. If you're sticking with the standard outer barrel and just want to fit a tacticool rail, you'll need an adapter ring. I got a PTS one, but i believe a few companies make them for around £10. The adapter ring slides onto the barrel before the barrel nut, and acts as a shelf to lock the barrel into the upper. Option number 2 is to do what i did and buy a new outer barrel. Dytac make a range of barrels for the MWS in a variety of different lengths which come complete with a low profile gas block and tube. i figured that if i only had a 250mm barrel, why bother with a 14.5" outer, and opted for what i believe is an 11". The important part of these barrels is the fact that the barrel widens at the base enough for the barrel nut to grip onto, as seen below.

And the adapter ring on the stock barrel

Right... Now you've got the barrel on, it's smooth sailing from here.. ish.. The Geiselle rail fit onto it's barrel nut nicely and lined up with the receiver. 2 large bolts slide through groves on the large barrel nut (Reminiscent of a 416 barrel nut) and 2 tiny hex grub screws align the rail

The problem i had was i could no longer remove the rear pin and open up the gun. The bottom of the rail fowled the lower meaning i couldn't break the gun open. It was a simple fix (Dremeled some material away), and now it pivots on the front pin enough for me to take the BCG out for cleaning.

Comment

MODS!
      The exciting bit! I've got all sorts of cool things to try, including a 250mm 6.01 PDI barrel, 370mm 6.05 ORGA barrel, a maple leaf bucking and a couple of other bits, but for now ill start with the boring yet important one. The 'GREEN GAS MOD'

The mod is relatively straightforward. the idea is you take off a (Zinc?) tube from the end of the fill valve. What this does is increase the volume of the mag so that it holds more green gas. More green gas, more shots. I already did this mod and lost all my pictures with my phone, so what i'll do is link Badabing's video on how to do it: .https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCNgf_fEC2c

This is where things get interesting. I was talking to Sprint about my MWS and the guy is a genuine wealth of information when it came to these. He told me to maximise the range and accuracy i should use heavyweight BB's but id need more hop pressure. After telling me what he used and some more talking, he machined me a brass nub, and it is quite possible the most beautiful and tiny bit of machining that i have ever seen.

It took about 5 minutes to fit, and i took the gun to Anzio that weekend for it's first game. The gun was internally standard minus the nub, and i was using PTS iron sights as my Red dot decided it was going to run out of batteries between the house and the site. My little brother was supposed to come with me, and i was going to use him as a target and get him to keep walking back until i couldn't hit him, but the lazy idiot didn't get out of bed. I loaded the mags with Geoff's .32 bb's and started to get some shots in to adjust the hop up. I attempted to Video it, but you can't really see the track of the BB's in it. All i can tell you is that it was shooting maybe a 10" group at what must have been over 50M. I'm shit with distances, so anyone who's been and has a better guesstimate than me is welcome to chime in. The hop was capable of getting the bb's out much further, but as i was using irons, i opted for the flattest trajectory over maximum range.

Comment

Inner Barrels
        As I've mentioned, I've ordered a couple of inner barrels for the MWS. One being the PDI raven 6.01 250mm, and the other being an ORGA 6.05 370mm.

I've also ordered an angrygun hop up chamber to make swapping barrels slightly easier, but that's a week or so off arriving. So for now, i have fitted the PDI 6.01 barrel with a Maple leaf 60Deg Delta bucking and Sprint's epic brass nub, which has a concave shape, which for a maple leaf bucking is important as you want to create that curved shape as seen below. An interesting note was with the hop completely off, she Chrono'd in at 300. With the hop applied it pushed the gun up to 330 (ASG ultrair which i find weak compared to nuprol 2.0. it seems to have 10% butane which may explain the weakness of the gas)

To add to this, i had bought an RA-Tech 6.01 370mm that came with a maple leaf 70Deg decepticons bucking. I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS. IT DOES NOT FIT. You can force it in as the groves are close, but you risk ruining your seal and loosing the consistency the gun is fabled for. As you see below, it appears to be a normal WE gbbr/VSR barrel. The two alignment notches are ever so slightly out. It could easily be fixed, but i have 2 much better barrels to use so i'm personally not going to bother. RA-Tech/ORGA

Comment

I miss mine so bad it was the best RIF I've owned

Comment

I do love the thing. Straight out of the box it is a viable and reliable gun. I'd actually suggest to anybody to just run the thing standard and spend your money on mags. I just like to tinker with things, which I hope doesn't turn out to be the gun's undoing.

Comment

MINI UPDATE
              I played a Night game at Anzio, so i brought the MWS down to see what the range was like with the new barrel and hop. Now what i should have done was change one thing, test it, then change another but i didn't. Anyway... the results..

The same .32 GEOFFS BB's were used at the same range, and i found the PDI/ maple leaf bucking to be no better than the stock setup with Sprint's amazing brass NUB. What i am going to do from now on is stick to the Original TM bucking as Sprint advised and just change the barrels. I'd really love to find somewhere close to me that i can spend a couple of hours just parts testing, but there doesn't seem to be any local to me.

So, with that said, the gun was stripped down and the ORGA 370mm 6.05 was fitted with the standard TM bucking and the brass nub. On propane it chrono'd at 326-330 fps. The slightly wider bore offsetting the usual boost of a longer barrel a little. Its currently sat in a new dress, waiting to be range tested.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

W0lf Find out more about W0lf
              Working...
              X