Revision Exoshields

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Revision Exoshields

Having always found Glasses a bit risky due to the gaps, I’ve always been a goggle man. I’ve been using a pair of the ESS V12’s for about 3 years and they’ve been nearly perfect. However they were a bit too chunky and you loose a fair bit of peripheral vision.

So when Revision announced the new extremely low profile googles (made from adding foam and a strap to some modified Rev Locus lenses) using there new perm-antifog lenses tech, I decided to give them a go.

First impressions:

…Were great, the lens sits incredibly close to the face, no optical distortion, very lightweight (surprisingly so) and the strap velcros together at the back for quick attaching/removing. They sit very comfortably on the face and they also look cool as hell, which helps in the game of Promsoft. ☺

The package contains an antifog cloth, buff cloth and instructions. Initially trying on the goggles did induce a small bit of fogging after a few minutes, but I never expected a miracle of clear vision without any additional application of antifog. The new permanent fogtech lenses seem to reduce the effect significantly though. The goggles also play nicely with the lower face mesh masks, which is great.

Field Testing:

… Led to quite a serious draw back in these goggles. I used them for the majority of yesterday, but had to stop using them in the afternoon. It was a scorching hot day, so having applied the anti-fog cloth and buffed the goggles off, they worked wonderfully well and remaining fog free, only distorting the vision by the torrents of sweat coming down from my head. I was initially very happy with them for the first few hours of the morning.

However, and this is pretty shocking really for a released product aimed at military and law enforcement, the glue holding on the foam around the lens reacts to sweat.

The foam on the top and bottom edge started sliding towards the centre of the lens as the glue lost traction by lunch time. The lenses then started fogging up completely, and despite moving the foam back into position, they started sliding towards the centre again giving horrible tunnel vision. With an hour left to go of the day, I’d had enough, walked back to the safe zone, swapped to my trusty old ESS V12’s and had a damn good, clear vision last hour.

When I got home I slid the foam back into place and let the foam dry out. The glue then seemed to remember its purpose and adhered to the lense securely once again. Extremely disappointed. A friend, who bought his Exoshield at the same time, also has the exact same problem with his pair.

These goggles had so much potential, but as is, for airsoft they are pretty unusable. I’m not sure if this is just a faulty batch or a wider problem. I’m under warranty and will be getting in contact with Revision about this. I’d stay clear of these for the time being.
    "For us, it keeps parenting essentials, a phone, a digital SLR camera and pistol magazines all neatly organised and accessible" - 5.11 Review

'Basically, Airsoft is Prom Night' - Brother Captain Ryan

About the Author

Collapse

Another Find out more about Another
Working...
X