WE L85a2 review.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WE L85a2 review.

Ok then so here it is my review and opinion on WEs newest release the L85a2 or SA80 as a lot will know it.

Packaging.
    Usual WE plain cardboard box with the usual sticker on the bottom right stating the box contents, inside is the rifle, mag, 15rnd speedloader, instructions and an allen key for hop adjustment, that in my case was cable tied to the box but i suspect they were cut by customs to allow for inspection, as such the rifle was repackaged with bubble wrap.

Gun exterior
    My only experience of this in real steel was back in my cadet days with what i knew as the "cadet GP rifle" as such i wont be comparing it to RS.
    Construction wise its stamped steel body with platstic and rubber furniture.
    Steel parts- Main body, carry handle, magazine, magazine catch, trigger guard, saftey catch, foresight, front and rear sling loops, outer barrel, mock gas parts and flashider.
    Plastic parts- Cheek rest, fire selector, bolt release, mock bolt hold catch, ejection port cover, cocking handle, pistol grip, trigger and front handguard.
    The rear butt pad is totaly rubber. (no rubberised plastic)
    The finish to the body is kind of anodised texture but is painted.
    Plastics are solid and nicley textured.
    The flashider is 14mm -ive or CCW thread.
    One thing to note that i made a mistake on in the other thread i attempted to put my Ares SUSAT on the top rail and thought it did fit, it dosent even with the screws on the SUSAT tightened fully it still slides off easily, not sure if another make will fit but the Ares one dosent.

Gun interior.
    Stripping is very easy, first ensure the fire selector is set to "R" (repetative)

and that the magazine is out then remove the body pin in front of the magazine release
    And the one just in front of the butt pad

Note the rear pin is longer than the front

Then simply lift the lower reciever away rear first.
    Next the recoil rod assembly can be removed by simply lifting it off the small tab that holds it in place so that it doesnt shoot out upon removing the lower reciever

Lastly slide the bolt back and as far as it will go and remove the cocking handle and the bolt will slide the remaining way out, completing the field strip.

At this point the very annoying hop adjustment can be accessed

Without a ball type allen key this is the ONLY way the hop can be adjusted.
    For anyone interested if you plan on fitting NPAS it is the OB version and is fitted exactly as with the SCAR as i have laid out in the below thread.
    http://www.zeroin.co.uk/showthread.php?t=107140
    The trigger mech is the same as all other WE open bolt weapons with minor adjustments for it to fit into this gun.

Trigger and saftey are very simple in design with just a small pin blocking the trigger when the gun is in safe,

the trigger is connected to the trigger mech with a long flat (thin) metal bar.

1st skirmish
    Took it out on saturday to my local site for a bit of CQB, and it performed quite well but not without yet another small problem towards the end of the day.
    On the good side first its very gas efficient as with all new WE Open bolt weapons, i only had 2 mags to run with so was relying on the gas in them to last well, and it did, on semi i managed two full mags from each mag with a little gas to spare.
    Range and accuracy as with any spanking new WE OB was a tiny bit hit and miss, even with hop off and on .25s it had a slight rise at about 15m before dropping off at about 30m, but towards the end of the day started to settle.
    Accuracy however is very good for the standard barrel and could easily hit a man size target at 30m
    Im also happy to report that after some 15-20 mags down it now nothing else has fallen off
    Im not sure on the guns standard FPS out of the box because as soon as it arrived i dropped the NPAS into it but with the NPAS full open i got readings between 450-460fps +/- a few fps.
    Bad part

That picture shows the back of the standard bolt, as can be seen in earlier photos the bolt runs along two guide rods, at the back end of the rods are two springs, when fired the bolt hits these springs stopping the cocking handle slamming into the end of the ejection port.
    However sustained impacts on those springs have now closed the holes slightly, towards the end of my day this caused the bolt to jam half open as the holes were too tight.
    Only time will tell how bad this could get.

Other problems i have already discussed in the other thread so will not go over but will however post the links to Youtube for you to see.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L0xaq...e_gdata_player

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gdamL...e_gdata_player

Overall.
    All in all good points and bad points included i am very happy, the faults upto this point have been minor and easily fixed.
    Its very solidly if not a little hastily built, its not as heavy as the ICS AEG version obviously as it has no gearbox in the back or battery up front so is easier on the arms for a days skirmish than its AEG counterparts.
    Would i recomend it?
    As a first GBBR, no.
    For someone used to the GBB world, yes.

Well lets hope thats everything covered if not as usual please feel free to ask.

Lee

Re: WE L85a2 review.

Originally posted by tisane View Post
    One thing to note that i made a mistake on in the other thread i attempted to put my Ares SUSAT on the top rail and thought it did fit, it dosent even with the screws on the SUSAT tightened fully it still slides off easily, not sure if another make will fit but the Ares one dosent.
    The rail on this particular gun is 18mm, it was mentioned in a video review from a popular Hong Kong retailer I think, which will be why your SUSAT doesn't fit. You could try experimenting by putting a 2mm metal bar in when you put on your SUSAT to see if it will hold it in place? This might mean that you get a little bit of wobble/uneven-ness for your optic, which isn't ideal.

Nice in depth review by the way!

Dan
    Last edited by da1994; 15 May, 2011, 16:09. Reason: Spelling

Comment

The RA-tech video if thats the one your talking about they tried to fit 2 scopes that were made for standard 20mm R.I.S rails, so they were never going to fit...lol
      I plan on fitting a 20mm rail adaptor and ACOG on this one, if that dont fit i shall adapt it to take the Ares or ICS 19mm rail.

Comment

Originally posted by tisane View Post
        The RA-tech video if thats the one your talking about they tried to fit 2 scopes that were made for standard 20mm R.I.S rails, so they were never going to fit...lol
        I plan on fitting a 20mm rail adaptor and ACOG on this one, if that dont fit i shall adapt it to take the Ares or ICS 19mm rail.
        Aha fair enough, no it wasn't that video but it doesn't matter anyway, the one you're on about gives a better demonstration.

Sounds good, keep us updated!

Dan

Comment

tisane- RA tech have made a steel bolt mate, so the recoil spring guide holes dont flex or collapse inwards,

also in the mean time mate, bore out the whole 1mm and insert a steel sleeve from rubber bushings/nobbings

they work a treat for spacing and wont effect the diameter as will make sure the rods stay central

Comment

Thats the next thing on my shopping list mate as soon as its in the shops.

Comment

Thanks for the review, I've been waiting all weekend for it lol.
              This will be my first gbbr, but I have had a lot of experience with pistols so I should be ok

By the time I get it, the ra tech bolt will be out I think so I should be ok.
              Just to clarify, my mate is getting the ob scar, they take the same mags don't they?
              Thanks
              Marcus

Comment

Indeed they do mate, that was the only reason i had 2 mags because i have the SCAR too

Comment

Just remembered my other question,
                  Do you have to used the loading thing to load mags, or can a normal speed loader work too?
                  Thanks again

Comment

great review nice one!!

Comment

Marksmen I think you have to use the one supplied (15rd) as i have the G39 mags and a normal speedloader doesnt worker, only the one that came in the box, which is a pain to load all the time but much much faster than by hand.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by Marksman556 View Post
                        Just remembered my other question,
                        Do you have to used the loading thing to load mags, or can a normal speed loader work too?
                        Thanks again
                        You can use a standard speedloader, its a little tight but by no means as hard as the G39 to reload.
                        I find the ones that come with WE guns a pain in the ass to be fair.

Comment

Thanks, again again :P

Comment

nice review mate,

does the bolt lock actually work when there is no mag inserted ....... no one actually covers if it does or not

Comment

If you mean will it lock back if cocked without a mag in then no mate it wont.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

tisane Find out more about tisane
                              Working...
                              X