Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CYMA SVD-S Review

SVD-S Reivew

So after having a couple of Russian guns, I felt like picking up a Dragunov. It filled 2 slots with one, bad guy gun, and sniper rifle. I'm not a huge fan of bolt action guns, or the amount of money required to get them to a standard I would enjoy, so an AEG seemed like a better choice.

Build Quality
    Taking this out of the box it's heavier than I expected. It's not so heavy that you'll struggle with it, but the actual rifle is quite slim, you'd be forgiven for thinking it weighs the same as any of their other AK variants.

The receiver is very sturdy, as is the stock. Usually on folding stocks from lower end manufacturers you expect a bit of wobble, or the action to be a bit rough. But not with this. The arm moves stiffly, but smoothly, and clunks into both the extended and folded positions very positively. The added bonus of the adjustable cheek rest is nice, and feels very good as well. I would like to change it for as off leather padded one if such a thing exists, but it's hardly uncomfortable to use bog standard. It has 2 positions, one is perfect for me, tilted to one side. The other, upright, I'm not sure why it exists as I can't see it being comfortable for anyone or allowing a good sight picture through the scope.

The handguards and pistol grip don't feel cheap, but are hardly deluxe either. You wouldn't expect super fancy materials on the real thing, so it's quite nice.

The flash hider on the end of the barrel wasn't on quite straight when I had a look. Unfortunately the grub screw holding it on is a little soft, so when trying to tighten it up again it tried to round out. It's not a 14mm thread, it's a half round half flat end to the barrel, that the flash hider slips over. I managed to fix mine by putting a rubber I ring on the end of the outer barrel, and then screwing the grub screw back in. The o ring keeps it right and prevents it from twisting or falling off.

Magazines are well built, and made of metal. They weigh a darn sight more than M4 mags which feels nice, feels like you've got a heavy ammo to stick in your rifle! They lock Into the rifle nice and securely, with barely no wobble.

The scope rail on the side is correctly positioned, and the correct size. In the pictures it's fitted with the Real Sword PSO-1, which is identical to the real thing. It only needed a tiny amount of adjustment on the clamp to fit smoothly and securely.

The internals look a big step up. Usually, CYMA make gearboxes with a silver coloured metal, and a brass/golden coloured cylinder, like most other manufacturers. On this the gearbox is a very nice black colour, with not a single blemish or seam line on the shell. And the cylinder is a darker silver colour as well. Clearly a step up from the usual.

They have copied the real sword internal design quite closely. The propietary gearbox, hop unit, barrel assembly and everything. It's a very large step up from the usual. I don't know if the unlock switch that Real Sword released later will fit, but that's not a huge worry. If you're that worried about gearbox longevity, completely assembled Real Sword gearboxes are in stock, as are replacement internals.

What Stands Out
    First off the stock. It looks like a dragunov that people recognise, but then they see the folding stock and it throws them. I personally love having a rifle that no one can properly identify. It is such a breath of fresh air from yet another M4. God help anyone who compliments the AK47 I have in my hands though!

Areas For Improvement
    Markings, there are none. Even if they weren't 100% accurate, it would be better than none. Engravers can be found rather cheap though, so in time I may send her off for some to be put on.

The Flash hider wasn't straight, and whilst not a big problem in itself, the design of this part was the problem. It would be far better if it was a CCW thread after the iron sight. It would allow for a PBS-1 to be attached as well which would look brilliant in my opinion.

Skirmishing
    Had an entire day in woodland with it this weekend, running totally standard apart from deans connectors.

The morning was spent making a fair few bum shots. It was only really the afternoon that I found just the right spot for the hop up. Usually I like my rounds to flick up slightly at the end, to carry them those extra couple of metres, with this the hop is very sensitive and rather unforgiving, so this caused me a few problems in the morning.

Once set, (1 click off!) it was running rather nicely. I used madbull .36's, and all afternoon was spent running around to the back of a position, and thwacking people looking the wrong way. It's not dead on each shot, I wouldn't expect it to be, as it's a standard AEG barrel, nub, and rubber. But it's good enough to play with certainly. The hop also needed a bit of wearing in I reckon, even after the hop was set it was stills a few mags before I got to the stage where I could look, raise, fire, and hit with a single shot. But we got there in the end.

Mags are a bit of a fiddle. They are very wide, wider than ak mags, so they won't fit in Ak mag pouches unless you have very large ones. I'm going to probably shell out for some real SVD dedicated pouches, but they're old school and don't stack like other pouches so will take up a lot of space on my belt. Still, at 82rds per mag, and the hi cap coming with the gun being 120, I didn't run out of ammo all day.

Overall, really pleased with this. It's different, it's decently built, it performs to an acceptable standard, and it'll set you back a fraction of the money some alternatives would.

I'll do a video of the trigger response on an 11.1v, but here's the charging handle moving at least. It's a nice strong spring and a good noise!

http://youtu.be/rYHZGjVs6Mk

Re: CYMA SVD-S Review

Cool review, If i hadn't have just got hold of an M14 to turn into a DMR i would be tempted.

Comment

what was the FPS (I assume your site chronoed it) and how much was it? Great review BTW; pictures were very useful.
      For sale:

-Splitting M4
      -MP5 Parts
      -MP7a1
      -M9 Magazine

Comment

It came to me out of the box at 430. Perfect!

A small update, I did read somewhere that the real sword gears won't fit inside the gearbox shell on this. It was only a message on an American board with no evidence to back it up, and I'm not sure why they'd go so far to copy the design of the gearbox except for where it matters, but if and when the gears go I will find out!

Comment

Good review there Ben

Is it a steel or pot metal receiver?

Comment

I'd say their usual pot metal they make their AK range from. I wouldn't really call it pot metal though, my ask all took a good bashing at one point and came out unharmed, and this feels even more rock solid

Comment

From what I've been informed, these are steel receivers with aluminium alloy barrels.
              section 24 of the 1968 Act
              Supplying imitation firearms to minors
              1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
              2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

Good review Ben, what sort of 'effective' range are you getting?

Looks a little shorter than the real sword or is that just the pictures perhaps? Did you have to import it yourself as I can't seem to see them for sale anywhere in the uk, not even the mighty Z1
                And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

Comment

Sean, I'm no good at telling what materials are, but I have to say it does feel very sturdy, so I'll go with what you said!

It is shorter than the real sword, because this variant has a shorter barrel.

I couldn't find it in the UK either. Have a look in the EU...

Comment

Bit of an update to this, took her for another game day today. Some very good shots right on target. But overall consistency was still a little lacking.

So what I've done is swap out the traditional nub, for a home made flat nub. Also gone down to .3 bbs as the amount of hop required to hop the .36 decently seems to be the cause of odd shots. Too much of a squeeze for bbs to get past. Haven't had a chance to test at range, but over the same 30m garden test, consistency has gone from a whole A4 page spread to a quarter of a page spread. Much better!

Comment

Great review!

Comment

On this review, I think I'm gonna pick one up.
                        My realsword is permanently put of action.
                        1)It is an offence for a person under the age of eighteen to purchase an imitation firearm
                        2)It is an offence to sell an imitation firearm to a person under the age of eighteen.

Comment

:O what happened to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                            Sean, I'm no good at telling what materials are,
                            Magnet, if it sticks its steel

Comment

Originally posted by Boo-Sabum Ben View Post
                              :O what happened to it?
                              Somebody parked a car on it, the stock is now in two pieces.

Comment

About the Author

Collapse

Boo-Sabum Ben Instructor & Umpire with the International Taekwon-Do Federation Find out more about Boo-Sabum Ben
                              Working...
                              X